Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lack of holiday - how did you adjust?

Lack of holiday - how did you adjust?

Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lack of holiday - how did you adjust?

Hi there,

Just wondering, how did you adjust to the lack of paid leave? I've now lived in the UK for 10 years and love it (I am a dual UK/USA citizen). Lately though, I've considered a move back to the USA - when starting to look at jobs and then drilling down a bit further to see what the vacation time is, well, my stomach sinks. I knew it was bad, but somehow looking at it just drives it home for me.

So how did you adjust (or does your company offer more than the standard 2 weeks)? Does the nice weather and space of your house help? Is it that people pretty much leave work on time? Does your company offer extra 'personal' days?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jennifer
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of holiday - how did you adjust?

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
Hi there,

Just wondering, how did you adjust to the lack of paid leave? I've now lived in the UK for 10 years and love it (I am a dual UK/USA citizen). Lately though, I've considered a move back to the USA - when starting to look at jobs and then drilling down a bit further to see what the vacation time is, well, my stomach sinks. I knew it was bad, but somehow looking at it just drives it home for me.

So how did you adjust (or does your company offer more than the standard 2 weeks)? Does the nice weather and space of your house help? Is it that people pretty much leave work on time? Does your company offer extra 'personal' days?

Jennifer
I find the weather in the UK nicer than the weather in the US (I live in the northeast) so that doesn't help.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Jennifer
My company gives me two weeks at the moment but only due to my four years with them. For year one I got none and then I got one week until my four year anniversary. I get three personal and three sick days in addition.

I'm into my sixth year and I still haven't adjusted to it, to be honest. There isn't anything that makes up for it for me but I don't want to be here anymore anyway so I'm not very objective about that right now.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:25 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My company gives me two weeks at the moment but only due to my four years with them. For year one I got none and then I got one week until my four year anniversary. I get three personal and three sick days in addition.

I'm into my sixth year and I still haven't adjusted to it, to be honest. There isn't anything that makes up for it for me but I don't want to be here anymore anyway so I'm not very objective about that right now.
NONE??!! Wow, that really sucks!!
I'm fortunate in that I negotiated UK holidays but my American employees only get 2 weeks (which I feel bad about although I did tell them in the interview that holiday may be negotiable and they didn't negotiate...)
Some of the bigger European/RoW companies will offer longer holidays and even some of the US ones will too - worth looking around, especially in industries where there's a high demand right now. (I'm in O&G and demand here is very high right now, you can ask for practically anything...)
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
NONE??!! Wow, that really sucks!!
I'm fortunate in that I negotiated UK holidays but my American employees only get 2 weeks (which I feel bad about although I did tell them in the interview that holiday may be negotiable and they didn't negotiate...)
Some of the bigger European/RoW companies will offer longer holidays and even some of the US ones will too - worth looking around, especially in industries where there's a high demand right now. (I'm in O&G and demand here is very high right now, you can ask for practically anything...)
Yeah, none for the first year. Apparently that's quite common as well. Luckily my wife's admitted to feeling guilty that may parents don't get to see the children so I'm bit by bit building a case for moving to the UK
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, how did you adjust to the lack of paid leave?
Work for yourself, and work to live rather than the silly way round.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

I get 3 weeks a year ... that's sick & vacation though. When I first started with this Co. we used to get a week off at Christmas, so essentially 4 weeks a year, but as we've grown, that week has now disappeared. Fortunately, my boss is OK with me taking unpaid time off, which I do frequently
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:44 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby negotiated to keep his 5 weeks when we moved over here. What I don't know is how I will cope if I go back to work and get a couple of weeks while he still has 5!!!

When we told our US friends we were going to Hawaii for 18 days their jaws dropped - they couldn't fathom going on holiday for that long!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, none for the first year. Apparently that's quite common as well. Luckily my wife's admitted to feeling guilty that may parents don't get to see the children so I'm bit by bit building a case for moving to the UK
Similar to my stealth strategy.. I'm hoping for a republican sweep in the elections this year and some further batshit-crazy assaults on womens rights, further gun law relaxations etc.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

My husband's company offer 4 wks holiday for everyone, it's a US company too! He does however work a lot longer days when on customer sites, but he is away from home for this so it doesn't matter so much (to me anyway ). When he is not on a customer site he works from home, which is great although sometimes he has to work later to cover the different time zones.

He took less time off in the UK, so it's a bonus to us!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:02 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
My husband's company offer 4 wks holiday for everyone, it's a US company too! He does however work a lot longer days when on customer sites, but he is away from home for this so it doesn't matter so much (to me anyway ). When he is not on a customer site he works from home, which is great although sometimes he has to work later to cover the different time zones.

Yeah I get 4 weeks plus Christmas but like your husband when I'm offsite i'm on 72 or 84 hour weeks, sometimes more.
Fortunately I get to delegate most of those jobs these days

Do any of you find that you don't ever really get to switch off though? I'm expected to answer my emails and calls even when I'm on holiday
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:04 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by robin1234
Similar to my stealth strategy.. I'm hoping for a republican sweep in the elections this year and some further batshit-crazy assaults on womens rights, further gun law relaxations etc.
Fingers crossed for both of us then
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your replies. I would stay in Edinburgh forever if the weather did not get me so down...but, no decisions yet, just thinking about a lot of things - including buying a holiday property in a warmer part of Europe.

My family is in the USA...so will always have a tie there and as I get older, I think about it more and more...I've really adjusted to the culture over here however and feel way out of sorts for the first few days when back in the USA.

If any of you who have found companies that seem to be more generous than others - please shout them out so that I can look into them.

Thanks so much.

J
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Bink
Yeah I get 4 weeks plus Christmas but like your husband when I'm offsite i'm on 72 or 84 hour weeks, sometimes more.
Fortunately I get to delegate most of those jobs these days

Do any of you find that you don't ever really get to switch off though? I'm expected to answer my emails and calls even when I'm on holiday
Yes, and I'm not sure if it is my fault or something in the US culture. I get four weeks vacation, plus the week/ten days of Christmas/New Year, plus an additional month off because I moved to an 11-month contract, but I still monitor emails 365 days a year and deal with problems as they arise, if I know I'm the best one to deal with them. Maybe that is part of the problem.. a little bit wanting to feel indispensable .. ?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wibblypig

Hi there - please PM me the name of the company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.