rumatumtum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: L1a Medical Insurance required

Thanks Boiler and Swisstony

I was curious about insurance plans such as the one's listed on

http://www.usnetcare.com/

Just to clarify

We have no intention of being in the US without medical insurance

We have money to pay the insurance

In the UK the NHS is available should it be required on our return visits and at the end of the stay. I'm afraid thats the way it is, it doesn't barr Brits because they have worked abroad for a short period. My op may have sounded like I mean't NHS was valid in the US, sorry if it read that way.

My question was about the specific type of cover for our status

Thanks again but I have plenty of info to go on and will no doubt have my plan in place over the next few days.

Sorry I asked!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rumatumtum
Thanks Boiler and Swisstony

I was curious about insurance plans such as the one's listed on

http://www.usnetcare.com/

Just to clarify

We have no intention of being in the US without medical insurance

We have money to pay the insurance

In the UK the NHS is available should it be required on our return visits and at the end of the stay. I'm afraid thats the way it is, it doesn't barr Brits because they have worked abroad for a short period. My op may have sounded like I mean't NHS was valid in the US, sorry if it read that way.

My question was about the specific type of cover for our status

Thanks again but I have plenty of info to go on and will no doubt have my plan in place over the next few days.

Sorry I asked!
I hope you get the info you need and that the move goes well.
I was genuinley concerned about your situation which is why I replied as I did. Glad to see you have your finger on the pulse of things. If you find out any more info about short term health insurance that you think might benefit others that read these boards please post it
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Low limits, limited cover, fine maybe if nothing nasty happens.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Low limits, limited cover, fine maybe if nothing nasty happens.
I agree. I'm more concerned about the OP's two young children. I have co-workers with young children, and they have a lot of interaction with the health care system. If one of the kids gets seriously ill, they're in for a shock with minimal cover.

To the OP, I have good insurance through my employer. I just checked the current price sheets, and the total cost for my plan, assuming family coverage, is over $1500 per month. That's a negotiated group rate, large employer. If you walked into that insurer's office and wanted to buy individual-rate coverage for your family, it would cost much more than that. Good luck.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:56 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

The type of plans you will be looking for are Individual and Family plans. Try looking through E-Health Insurance, you can get online quotes based on where you live, number of family members etc.
http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/indi...alth-insurance

This Web site is pretty good, you can compare costs side-by-side, and I think you can start the application process online. I would not recommend a catastrophic type plan if you have young children (the monthly rates will be cheaper for those types of plans, but they really are just for emergency type care, and you can still pay a lot out of pocket).
Naomi.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think you do need to take note of the "bloody mental" posts because medical insurance is such a massive thing.

For the company to not offer it, regardless of how good the salary is is usually a deal breaker.

Especially when you have kids...vaccinations aren't cheap, neither is a broken leg and you won't be able to hop back over to the UK for that and the NHS will only treat emergency care unless you reside back in the UK and you can't count on them not bothering to care these days as they do seem to check a lot more than in the past.

Premiums will easily be $1500 a month plus for healthy, young people add kids to the mix.

Edit: to add...if he's upper management...how much else are the company screwing him if they aren't offering medical? It's the bare bones basic of any rubbish benefits package.

Last edited by Bob; Feb 12th 2010 at 12:21 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:45 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nobody has answered your question

1. You may not be immigrating but you will be resident
2. If your employer provides cover it is not taxable, if you buy it yourself it is.
3. I think the avaerage spend is about $18,000 per year. Paying it yourself you would gross it up.
4. Cover depends on which State you will be living in, lots of on line tools.
http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ for example
I'm not sure if I've understood your post correctly, but my understanding is that medical insurance premium costs CAN be deducted if not paid by the employer. It is subject to a calculation based on income though...

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

http://www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/...e&clicked=true
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

out of interest -at what point do you lose eligibility to free treatemnt on the NHS ? having paid NI and taxes for 35 years surely there is some time span -after all certain europeans seem to be entitled to it without putting in a penny
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
out of interest -at what point do you lose eligibility to free treatemnt on the NHS ? having paid NI and taxes for 35 years surely there is some time span -after all certain europeans seem to be entitled to it without putting in a penny
When you are no longer deemed to be resident in the UK. Some people have had success using it upon their return without being queried (usually those that have kept their NHS doctor/dentist, taking space from another that might genuinely need it, grrrrr!), but others have had to provide proof that they live there.

And I'd query other nationalities being able to use it without a problem - on a visit to A&E last year we saw a foreigner (I'd guess he was Spanish, but not sure) being issued a large bill as he couldn't produce the proof that he was resident in the UK as they'd asked.

Unfortunately, that tax and NI doesn't count for anything once you choose to go and live in another country, same with university fees etc.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

lucky i never went to uni then !! I thought/think the EEc has a reciprocal arrangement (isnt it called E111 -they have numbers for everything) whereby any EEC citizen (funny I thought i was British) can get free treatment in any other EU country.

looking at the NHS web site you lose eligibility after 3 months of non permanent residence but requalify when you go back as a PR (hello I'm poorly i have come back )
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

lucky i never went to uni then !!
As long as you've not got kids that might want to return to the UK to go to uni - they'd have to pay international rates after being out of the UK for a certain amount of time, despite being British citizens.

I thought/think the EEc has a reciprocal arrangement (isnt it called E111 -they have numbers for everything) whereby any EEC citizen (funny I thought i was British) can get free treatment in any other EU country.
No such thing as the E111 anymore. There is the EHIC card, but that doesn't cover you for everything. From the EHIC website "few countries pay the full cost of healthcare for holders of the Card". It entitles you to treatment (in a public hospital, not private), but you can still be required to pay for some or all of that treatment.

looking at the NHS web site you lose eligibility after 3 months of non permanent residence but requalify when you go back as a PR (hello I'm poorly i have come back )
That sounds about right. Just be prepared to prove you've actually moved back (utility bills, rental agreement etc) if you require NHS treatment on your return.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

1. daughters already at Uni so thats ok
2.yea saw the e111 had gone but couldnt find its replacement , i guess its one of these pot luck things,but i do know there has been a huge fuss over residents of some newer EU countries coming to the UK for the 'better free treatment'
3. rental agreement hmmm lucky mummy has a house to rent out
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

I've used short term healthcare when I was between jobs...I got it from the link that I posted.

From memory it cost about $200 per month just for one person - BUT this had attached to it a $1000 minimum before I could claim anything. Basically what you had to do was collect all your receipts and send them in then they start paying after the $1000 is reached.

The reason I had it was because the way I saw it it would cover me in the event of a catastrophe (although there was a upper limit) or a instance like a broken leg. I never actually claimed on it because the only thing that I had wrong with me during coverage was a chest infection, treatment of which came under the $1000 level (although it still came to $200)

As a couple of other people have said on here, insurance IS a big issue. That's why there are lots of people past retirement working in the likes of Walmart - it's not necessarily for the salary....it's for the benefits. I'm amazed that your company is not offering medical - it's pretty standard but hey - lots of people have already said that :-)

Originally Posted by rumatumtum
Thank you all for taking time to reply with your responses, I'll try to ignore the 'nuts' comments.

We have no intention of trying to use holiday/travel insurance and don't recal even mentioning that route so not sure why you would bring that into it.
We are not moving to the US without healthcare.

We are a well travelled family who have lived in 3 different countries in the last 15 years and we know as well as anyone does there is no NHS in the US, hence the initial question. We have researched, priced and almost organised healthcare but it was a last minute question because I had seen somewhere advertising non immigrant cover and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a more appropriate deal which someone here on a NI visa may have had.

Thank you for the weblink.
We have no pre-exsisting conditions and are in our 30's with 2 young children.
We will be in the US about a year

If there is anyone on the forum who has used short term NI healthcare I'd love to hear from you.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

1. daughters already at Uni so thats ok
2.yea saw the e111 had gone but couldnt find its replacement , i guess its one of these pot luck things,but i do know there has been a huge fuss over residents of some newer EU countries coming to the UK for the 'better free treatment'
3. rental agreement hmmm lucky mummy has a house to rent out
So the UK does have its uses.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
I'm not sure if I've understood your post correctly, but my understanding is that medical insurance premium costs CAN be deducted if not paid by the employer. It is subject to a calculation based on income though...

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

http://www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/...e&clicked=true
From the IRS link:

You may deduct only the amount by which your total medical care expenses for the year exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income
That's quite a big hurdle. Plus it's a deduction, not a credit, so it's only worth only however many cents on the dollar your marginal tax rate represents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.