Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kindergarten Registration Experience.

Kindergarten Registration Experience.

Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindergarten Registration Experience.

Does anyone have experience of moving states / school districts during the school year? My eldest will be eligible to start kindergarten in autumn 2014 she currently goes to a preschool but if we move state during this year is that going to present problems? I guess my question is if we miss the initial registration process is there anyway of registering her after the fact? Anyone been in this situation? And I know different states have different rules, we would be moving to Indiana. Ta
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Does anyone have experience of moving states / school districts during the school year? My eldest will be eligible to start kindergarten in autumn 2014 she currently goes to a preschool but if we move state during this year is that going to present problems? I guess my question is if we miss the initial registration process is there anyway of registering her after the fact? Anyone been in this situation? And I know different states have different rules, we would be moving to Indiana. Ta
Moving in the middle of the school year shouldn't pose a problem as long as entry dates aren't different. For example here in Washington you have to be 5 by August 31st to enter kindergarten. In California, however, you can be 5 by December 1st.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's weird, because she got a tour of the school and classrooms back when they did the school testing, but didn't meet the teachers, most were on holiday back then I guess.

She's getting excited by it, the bus mostly...even though we could just walk it...
My daughter was always excited by the bus, probably because she never got to ride it. However, now that she is going to be starting her first year in junior high and will ride the bus, it's not so appealing.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem. Schools want the majority of people to register early but any newcomers who register late should be fine. Just make sure you have everything in order before you register, such as recent doctor's checkup and vaccination papers, and proof of address.

The older kids who boss the K kids around at our school crack me up... "Stand right here", "wait for the second bell", "we'll take you to your classroom" all in very condescending and grownup voices... lol.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Yeah it shouldn't be a problem. Schools want the majority of people to register early but any newcomers who register late should be fine. Just make sure you have everything in order before you register, such as recent doctor's checkup and vaccination papers, and proof of address.

The older kids who boss the K kids around at our school crack me up... "Stand right here", "wait for the second bell", "we'll take you to your classroom" all in very condescending and grownup voices... lol.
I was kind of worried about the schools being over subscribed as we're moving into a very good school district but I guess they any refuse your child a place at kindergarten!!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Adnams
I was kind of worried about the schools being over subscribed as we're moving into a very good school district but I guess they any refuse your child a place at kindergarten!!
They can't refuse, no, but they can place your child at another school that's not overcrowded within the district and bus them there.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
They can't refuse, no, but they can place your child at another school that's not overcrowded within the district and bus them there.
That's kind of my fear. We'd better hurry up I guess
Old Aug 26th 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

So what do they expect kids to know by the time they enter K? My son is only 2, so a way off starting kindergarten yet, I was just curious as someone up-thread mentioned getting the kids to write their names on paper. I assumed they would start learning to write in kindergarten, or do most children learn earlier at home/daycare?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NatashaB
So what do they expect kids to know by the time they enter K? My son is only 2, so a way off starting kindergarten yet, I was just curious as someone up-thread mentioned getting the kids to write their names on paper. I assumed they would start learning to write in kindergarten, or do most children learn earlier at home/daycare?
The alphabet, shapes, counting up to 100, colors, basics really. Kinders hit the ground running, seriously. I'm always amazed at what a kindergarten teacher can accomplish in a paltry 1/2 day session with 20+ kids.... They usually are reading and doing simple maths by first grade.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I always like the question "Does he speak good English?" because then I can answer "Yes, two kinds."
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

When my older one started K she was the only kid in 5 classes who could read. I was surprised to be honest. Their current school expects a good portion of the kids to be able to read when they come in.

We also had to pay for full day K in our old district, it was $2500. Or free if your kid qualified for free lunch.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Anian
I always like the question "Does he speak good English?" because then I can answer "Yes, two kinds."
Oh dear.... Who (I'm almost afraid to ask) asked you that?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The alphabet, shapes, counting up to 100, colors, basics really. Kinders hit the ground running, seriously. I'm always amazed at what a kindergarten teacher can accomplish in a paltry 1/2 day session with 20+ kids.... They usually are reading and doing simple maths by first grade.
Wow, I didn't know that. My son's daycare will probably start them off on those things before he goes to K. But do they expect that children who don't go to daycare will be taught those things at home, generally?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Wow, I didn't know that. My son's daycare will probably start them off on those things before he goes to K. But do they expect that children who don't go to daycare will be taught those things at home, generally?
Preschool is the best thing you can do for your kid before kindergarten or some sort of playgroup. Because not only are they expected to know these basics, they also want them "socialized"
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

In our area almost all kids go to preschool... My daughter learned to read in Pre-K (the last year of preschool). If you didn't go to preschool you will be behind in Kindergarten. They do a state sponsored VPK program (voluntary pre-K) in most states. Google VPK Michigan and see what you find.

Not everyone in my daughter's class can read but they all know the alphabet and most sounds, some sight words, numbers, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.