Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Passports expired, travelling in just over 24 hours! Help

Kids Passports expired, travelling in just over 24 hours! Help

Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids Passports expired, travelling in just over 24 hours! Help

I posted this on Moving back to the UK, but it was suggested I post here as well.

We just got notification out of the blue that my father in law only has days to live. We don't have any proof that we need to travel urgently, it was just family phoning us to urge us to get back asap.

We managed to get tickets for us all to fly out to the UK on Wednesday morning to be with him, but I've just noticed that our 3 youngest kids US passports expired last July! They are aged 10, 12 & 14. They have valid UK ones.

Will they be able to leave and re-enter the US on just their UK passports? The rest of us have valid passports for both countries.

And if not, can we show their birth certificates, SS cards or even school photo ID (for the older 2 at least) as added proof?

We are nowhere near an embassy, we had to apply for our US passports at the local post office, and even a 24 hour service will be too slow.

Will we be able to leave the US on the promise that we renew at the embassy in London before we return even?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:57 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Passports expired, travelling in just over 24 hours! Help

My understanding (and I am NOT an expert) is that a US citizen can reenter the US even with an expired US passport. They wouldn't be able to enter the UK with it, but as they have UK passports that's not an issue.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
I posted this on Moving back to the UK, but it was suggested I post here as well.

We just got notification out of the blue that my father in law only has days to live. We don't have any proof that we need to travel urgently, it was just family phoning us to urge us to get back asap.

We managed to get tickets for us all to fly out to the UK on Wednesday morning to be with him, but I've just noticed that our 3 youngest kids US passports expired last July! They are aged 10, 12 & 14. They have valid UK ones.

Will they be able to leave and re-enter the US on just their UK passports? The rest of us have valid passports for both countries.

And if not, can we show their birth certificates, SS cards or even school photo ID (for the older 2 at least) as added proof?

We are nowhere near an embassy, we had to apply for our US passports at the local post office, and even a 24 hour service will be too slow.

Will we be able to leave the US on the promise that we renew at the embassy in London before we return even?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
I've replied in the other thread.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by avanutria
My understanding (and I am NOT an expert) is that a US citizen can reenter the US even with an expired US passport. They wouldn't be able to enter the UK with it, but as they have UK passports that's not an issue.
Thanks for the reply.
From hours of furious googling it seems a USC can't even leave the USA on an expired passport! But like you say, if they let us out, the UK will let us in!

My current thinking is that we just use the UK passports going in both directions, like holidaymakers do all the time, especially as we'll be leaving the US for good in 3 months anyway!
Though I'll first check at the post office where we applied for our US passports to see if they can do anything in an emergency!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:04 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a passport in less than 24 hours in an emergency situation, but you have to be near a passport office (like the one in Washington DC). I think others are in Chicago and LA and a few other places. Where are you located?

There is a private group that offers a service. They might be able to advise on your chances

http://www.abriggs.com/

You could also send one of you home first and then the other in a day or two with the kids, if need be.

Last edited by penguinsix; Feb 28th 2012 at 4:10 am.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

In practice you won't have any problem leaving the US.

Can't you renew the expired US passports at the US embassy in the UK before you return to the US?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
Thanks for the reply.
From hours of furious googling it seems a USC can't even leave the USA on an expired passport! But like you say, if they let us out, the UK will let us in!

My current thinking is that we just use the UK passports going in both directions, like holidaymakers do all the time, especially as we'll be leaving the US for good in 3 months anyway!
Though I'll first check at the post office where we applied for our US passports to see if they can do anything in an emergency!
Did you read my post in your other thread?

You are not a holidaymaker and in the eyes of the US authorities you are not a Brit...you are only a USC and therefore you must use your US PP to leave and enter the US.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Kids Passports expired, travelling in just over 24 hours! Help

Which airline are you flying with?

TBH when I was working at Newark airport the scenario with expired or missing passports did pop up from time to time. The airlines normally call someone at the country's immigration office (they have dedicated phone numbers) and get clearance for passengers to travel. I've definitely observed passengers flying back to their home countries on expired passports after the airline has checked first that it's ok for them to fly (UK and Denmark).

The airlines just want to check that on the flight you are checked in on, you are able to enter the country of destination (or have a transit visa if you have an onward connection). They don't want to be in the position of having to fly someone back to the point of origin if they are refused entry. This is no problem for the O/P and she can get US passports for her children in the UK (although of course she may wish to risk taking them out of the US with expired passports if she can't get new ones issued here quickly enough).
Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Problem is getting on the plain on the return flight, they over come that, they should be fine.

To the OP, you don't want to enter the US on a UK passport, just use the expired one if you really can't get it renewed in London. There is no exit control from the US either btw, so yes, in theory you need a US passport to leave, the practice means it doesn't matter.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
In practice you won't have any problem leaving the US.

Can't you renew the expired US passports at the US embassy in the UK before you return to the US?
Thanks for all your replies.
I guess this is what we'll do, as we'll be in the UK for 2 weeks so should have plenty of opportunity to get to the US embassy. Just have to remember to take their school photos for the age progression thingy!

Thanks.