Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Accents

Kids Accents

Old Aug 19th 2013, 4:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Accents

Originally Posted by cindyabs
When we lived in Germany, we were right there on the Alsace Lorraine border, so used to pop over on a Saturday to go shopping. First time I went into a bakery there and ordered some goodies in French, one lady commented to the other lady behind the counter that I was a peasant.

Pfft!!!!......... and numerous other rejoinder expressions en francais said me to myself.
C'est une charge de merde, n'est-ce pas?

Or words to that effect (this bit's in English so I didn't break the rules )
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm in IT and we work a lot with Indians. I swear, after a few days of meetings with a bunch of Indians, I'm subconsciously speaking with their intonations!
Bud Bud Bud Move along the bus please

I work with Indians too and notice that most of them never use the word "the". Not when speaking or in writing. Strange.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:02 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
C'est une charge de merde, n'est-ce pas?

Or words to that effect (this bit's in English so I didn't break the rules )
That was nicer than what I was thinking.........
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That was nicer than what I was thinking.........
That's about as strong as I can swear in French
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:31 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's about as strong as I can swear in French
For whatever reason, in Quebec they are all about using religious symbols etc in addition to our Anglo Saxon terms. I digress but in the olden days the English kings would say things like By Christ's wounds, or God's Teeth or God's Fingernails. Apparently Richard the Lionhearted was very good at this.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:38 pm
I have a comma problem

For whatever reason, in Quebec they are all about using religious symbols etc in addition to our Anglo Saxon terms. I digress but in the olden days the English kings would say things like By Christ's wounds, or God's Teeth or God's Fingernails. Apparently Richard the Lionhearted was very good at this.
La merde de mon Dieu ... ?

I have heard about those kinds of exclamations as well. I think, actually, 'Zounds' was derived from 'Christ's wounds' and I know 'cor blimey' was from 'god blind me', or something along those lines.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Bud Bud Bud Move along the bus please

I work with Indians too and notice that most of them never use the word "the". Not when speaking or in writing. Strange.
And they put spaces before punctuation marks in their writing . Or should I say, 'marks .' As in ...'Hello . This is a sentence . And another , following the last one . " Must be some weird school thing.

I f**ing love Indians; I love their food, their work ethic, and I love the sound of their voices. Almost all the best hires I've ever made have been Indians! It boggles my mind that they all have arranged marriages and seem to have the strongest family units of any group of people I know ... Oh well, a topic for another day!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:35 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
And they put spaces before punctuation marks in their writing . Or should I say, 'marks .' As in ...'Hello . This is a sentence . And another , following the last one . " Must be some weird school thing.

I f**ing love Indians; I love their food, their work ethic, and I love the sound of their voices. Almost all the best hires I've ever made have been Indians! It boggles my mind that they all have arranged marriages and seem to have the strongest family units of any group of people I know ... Oh well, a topic for another day!
I love Indians too. I love the head wobble that they do where we would nod for "yes".

And I have been known, on rare occasion, to enjoy a cheeky Ruby.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I love Indians too. I love the head wobble that they do where we would nod for "yes".
I was going to make a comment about the head wobble but decided against it! It's not just for 'yes' ... it's a part and parcel of every sentence, sort of like how Italians use their arms to speak ... I got into a whole discussion with a colleague about how this must be learned ... that head movement has become an integral part of the verbal communication ... fascinating!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty bad how comical I find Indian accents. To the point I sometimes find it hard taking taking Indian people seriously. Even worse that I come from an indo-Fijian family, so a lot of my relatives sound like the equivalent of indian hillbillys speaking English. It's bad. All bad.