Reload this Page >

k! visa in louisiana

k! visa in louisiana

Old Sep 15th 2002, 10:17 am
Just Joined

la guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default k! visa in louisiana

Hi all

I am new to this NG. Would appreciate any comment or advice.

I intend to marry a Singaporean gal by filing for K1 this Dec2002. As she is visiting me in Oct/Nov, can we file the K1 while she's here? She will still return to Singapore after the vacation, to await approval of the K1 as well as to wrap matters up there.

Any idea how long the process will take? Am I right to file at TSC? Has anyone from LA done the same? Would appreciate info on what is done, timeline, and so on.

Btw, Would it cause complication when we travel across borders for our vacation?

We only want to do things the legal way. Don't want to take no chances at messing this up.

Thanks all.
Old Sep 15th 2002, 12:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k! visa in louisiana

Yes you can complete and start the process of filing the I-129F while she is here on vacation visiting you. The TSC serves the state of Louisiana so that is where you will be filing.

The only issue is her entry into the US while having a fiancee here in the US. She will be questioned at the POE about the purpose of her visit. Always answer the question truthfully but you don't have to elaborate on the answer. Bring proof of your return to your country and your ties to that country, i.e. school enrollment and schedule, lease for an apartment, deed for a house, employer letter giving your scheduled return to the job after vacation.

Rete
Old Sep 15th 2002, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Rete, thanks for your advice.

We are not yet fiance/fiancee yet, at least not 'officially with families' and at least not until she arrives here for the vacation. So entry at POE shouldn't pose any problem, with no need to lie. As it is, she'll be here on a work trip, but making a side trip to have a vacation with me. I'll tell her to bring those docs just in case they are needed. I think she'll need more docs for the K1 filing too, am I right?

Also, as we intend to travel neighbouring states via car, would having filed K1 pose a problem when crossing border? or should we file after our vacation but just before she leaves for home?

Thanks again, Rete.

Originally posted by Rete:
Yes you can complete and start the process of filing the I-129F while she is here on vacation visiting you. The TSC serves the state of Louisiana so that is where you will be filing.

The only issue is her entry into the US while having a fiancee here in the US. She will be questioned at the POE about the purpose of her visit. Always answer the question truthfully but you don't have to elaborate on the answer. Bring proof of your return to your country and your ties to that country, i.e. school enrollment and schedule, lease for an apartment, deed for a house, employer letter giving your scheduled return to the job after vacation.

Rete
Old Sep 15th 2002, 8:45 pm
Mrtravel

la guy wrote:
    > Rete, thanks for your advice.
    > We are not yet fiance/fiancee yet, at least not 'officially with
    > families'

That isn't the issue. If you intend to show INS any documents (email,
etc) and they indicate she was actually your "fiance" before entering on
the B1/B2, then that might be considered fraud if the information was
not presented when the B1/B2 was applied for.

and at least not until she arrives here for the vacation. So
    > entry at POE shouldn't pose any problem, with no need to lie.

As it is,
    > she'll be here on a work trip, but making a side trip to have a vacation
    > with me. I'll tell her to bring those docs just in case they are needed.
    > I think she'll need more docs for the K1 filing too, am I right?
    > Also, as we intend to travel neighbouring states via car, would having
    > filed K1 pose a problem when crossing border?

What states have state border crossings where you are subject to review
of INS documents? She is permitted to travel to multiple states on a
B1/B2 even if you have filed I-129F. Filing I-129F doesn't change her
B2/B2 status that she entered on.

Old Sep 15th 2002, 9:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar with the type of visa, if any, which is required for someone from Singapore to visit the US. If a B-1/B-2 is required and as you said she is coming on a business trip, then there should not be a problem although it is recommended that even then that she brings proof of her ties to her home country.

As pointed out, there are no border crossings involved between the states and I'm sure you are aware of this but rather think your question has to do with the difficulty one might have if an I-129F has already been filed and the foreign fiancee attempts to visit the USC fiancee in the US. In that case, yes there might be difficulties as just the fact of having a fiancee and petition pending shows immigration intent. Although it can be argued that you are going through legal channels the agent at the POE still has to be convinced that you will return at the end of your visit to your own country to complete the I-129F processing.

Rete

Originally posted by la guy:
Rete, thanks for your advice.

We are not yet fiance/fiancee yet, at least not 'officially with families' and at least not until she arrives here for the vacation. So entry at POE shouldn't pose any problem, with no need to lie. As it is, she'll be here on a work trip, but making a side trip to have a vacation with me. I'll tell her to bring those docs just in case they are needed. I think she'll need more docs for the K1 filing too, am I right?

Also, as we intend to travel neighbouring states via car, would having filed K1 pose a problem when crossing border? or should we file after our vacation but just before she leaves for home?

Thanks again, Rete.

Old Sep 16th 2002, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks MrTravel.

Singapore is on VWPP. There was no B1/B2 visa process. I was trying to anticipate problems at borders. She has been to USA on several trips before and there was no querying on marriage and such related issues.

Looks like it'll be fine. In any case, truth should prevail. I want only 'to make an honest woman of her' as far as immigration/K1 goes.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
la guy wrote:
    > Rete, thanks for your advice.
    > We are not yet fiance/fiancee yet, at least not 'officially with
    > families'

That isn't the issue. If you intend to show INS any documents (email,
etc) and they indicate she was actually your "fiance" before entering on
the B1/B2, then that might be considered fraud if the information was
not presented when the B1/B2 was applied for.

and at least not until she arrives here for the vacation. So
    > entry at POE shouldn't pose any problem, with no need to lie.

As it is,
    > she'll be here on a work trip, but making a side trip to have a vacation
    > with me. I'll tell her to bring those docs just in case they are needed.
    > I think she'll need more docs for the K1 filing too, am I right?
    > Also, as we intend to travel neighbouring states via car, would having
    > filed K1 pose a problem when crossing border?

What states have state border crossings where you are subject to review
of INS documents? She is permitted to travel to multiple states on a
B1/B2 even if you have filed I-129F. Filing I-129F doesn't change her
B2/B2 status that she entered on.
Old Sep 16th 2002, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Rete, thanks again.

Singapore is on VWPP. I agree with you about having docs to prove ties in Singapore, just in case.

You're right about my concerns on crossings borders while K1 is filed. But maybe I am overly anxious here. Should be fine. If we encounter any problems, we will post them for reference in this NG(excellent one).

Thanks.

Originally posted by Rete:
I'm not familiar with the type of visa, if any, which is required for someone from Singapore to visit the US. If a B-1/B-2 is required and as you said she is coming on a business trip, then there should not be a problem although it is recommended that even then that she brings proof of her ties to her home country.

As pointed out, there are no border crossings involved between the states and I'm sure you are aware of this but rather think your question has to do with the difficulty one might have if an I-129F has already been filed and the foreign fiancee attempts to visit the USC fiancee in the US. In that case, yes there might be difficulties as just the fact of having a fiancee and petition pending shows immigration intent. Although it can be argued that you are going through legal channels the agent at the POE still has to be convinced that you will return at the end of your visit to your own country to complete the I-129F processing.

Rete