Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DS -156 Questions

DS -156 Questions

Old Sep 12th 2002, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

RJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really nice
Default DS -156 Questions

Hello (again) - can anyone help me with what answers I should ideally put on this form

(19) What isthe purpose of your trip ?

(I'm going to get married to my fiancee, so should I put ... MARRIAGE ? But I also want to stay there afterwards etc)

(21) When do you intend to arrive in the US ?

When you give me the visa presumably - although this might seem a bit sarcastic. Do I put my ideal time in relation to the wedding or ONLY WHEN MY VISA HAS BEEN OBTAINED or something similar ??

(22) How long do you intend to stay in the US ?

Ideally permanently, with my wife.

(25)
Do you intend to work in the US Yes / No

Yes, obviously - but not without my permits enabling me to work legally.

IF YES, give name and address of employer.

I can't look for a job without a visa though - that's illegal. And so I have no employer as yet.

Any ideas on what I'm suppposed to put here would be greatly appreciated. I only need the answers to these and some on DS-230 Part 1 and I can send the stuff off.

Many thanks,

Richard
Old Sep 13th 2002, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DS -156 Questions

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RJHayes000:
Hello (again) - can anyone help me with what answers I should ideally put on this form

(19) What isthe purpose of your trip ?

(I'm going to get married to my fiancee, so should I put ... MARRIAGE ? But I also want to stay there afterwards etc)

I put "Marriage"

(21) When do you intend to arrive in the US ?

When you give me the visa presumably - although this might seem a bit sarcastic. Do I put my ideal time in relation to the wedding or ONLY WHEN MY VISA HAS BEEN OBTAINED or something similar ??

I put an ideal date, althoug it is unlikely, I thought it was better to do that.

(22) How long do you intend to stay in the US ?

Ideally permanently, with my wife.

That's what I put (except with my husband!)

(25)
Do you intend to work in the US Yes / No

Yes, obviously - but not without my permits enabling me to work legally.

I just put "Yes"

IF YES, give name and address of employer.

I can't look for a job without a visa though - that's illegal. And so I have no employer as yet.

I just put "None, yet"

Now, I don't know if my answers were "right", I'm just trying to help out.

Good luck,

D.
Old Sep 15th 2002, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

RJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really nice

Ok, I have now pretty much filled in the DS-156.

I was sent two copies - do I return them both or just one and keep the other for myself ?

Also, do I put a photo on there ?

From the instructions, I think I'm just supposed to return the forms, but they're a bit ambiguous as usual. Also, some people I have read suggested that you should send one form, others both - what's the right answer ?

To cover myself would it possible to send one original and one photocopy (keeping the third handwritten copy for myself)

??

Any ideas ???
Old Sep 16th 2002, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RJHayes000:
Ok, I have now pretty much filled in the DS-156.

I was sent two copies - do I return them both or just one and keep the other for myself ?

Also, do I put a photo on there ?

From the instructions, I think I'm just supposed to return the forms, but they're a bit ambiguous as usual. Also, some people I have read suggested that you should send one form, others both - what's the right answer ?

To cover myself would it possible to send one original and one photocopy (keeping the third handwritten copy for myself)

??

Any ideas ???
Hi there. I didn't send photograps, I believe you take these to your interview with you. I returned both original copies of the form, but as with all documents, I kept a copy for myself.

D.