Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

K-1 interview, passport questions

K-1 interview, passport questions

Old Oct 19th 2002, 8:43 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default K-1 interview, passport questions

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I filed our fiance petition, and we're scheduled to get our second NOA around the beginning of November...how long does it usually take from when the US Consolate in Canada receives the material before an interview date is given? I'm a USC and he's Canadian (Alberta). It's suppposed to take about a month for the 'diplomatic pouch' to get there so that might be the beginning of December until it gets to the consolate? Would his interview date be in February?

Also are there any rules about passports? I read somewhere that it should (??) be valid for 6 months-he's had one for 2 years but recently did a change of address on it, so I don't know if that would matter. Does the K-1 get placed in his passport? I just didn't know if there was some standard with passports.

thanks if anyone can help
Juliet

Last edited by jcapulet; Oct 19th 2002 at 10:11 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2002, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

groovy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K-1 interview, passport questions

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by jcapulet:
Hi everyone,

<My fiance and I filed our fiance petition, and we're <scheduled to get our second NOA around the beginning of <November...how long does it usually take from when the US <Consolate in Canada receives the material before an <interview date is given?

hi juliet,

I do not have any experience in Canada but I´ll tell you what I know so far. If you wrote "cable" on the 129, they probably will cable the approval and it can be there in one week... maybe they´ll go for the "diplomatic pouch" and then it will be a month. You can ask them about it once you are approved. The interview can be scheduled anytime after your fiance(e) gets packet 3 and send back all the forms they require. Somebody from Canada may know about timing better than me.

<Also are there any rules about passports? I read somewhere <that it should (??) be valid for 6 months-he's had one for 2 <years but recently did a change of address on it, so I don't <know if that would matter. Does the K-1 get placed in his <passport? I just didn't know if there was some standard with <passports.

Passport HAS TO be valid for six months after entry into the US otherwise there is no other rule... if you want to see k1 visas look around on www.k1faq.com ... I think there is a sample there or at the k1homepages.com

Hope I helped a little but again I am sure there is people from Canada who can do it much better

regards,
groovy
Old Oct 20th 2002, 8:47 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: K-1 interview, passport questions

Thanks Groovy-I guess I got confused before when I read that it had to be 'valid' for 6 months...now I see it means the passport should not expire within 6 months of entry. Makes sense now, thanks for helping!

Juliet