Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Translation of emails, letters, etc...

Translation of emails, letters, etc...

Old Oct 20th 2002, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Translation of emails, letters, etc...

Can anyone confirm whether or not they were required to translate emails, letters, or any other type of correspondence with their fiancé(e)s/spouse for the I-129F?

I was told only official documents, like certificates, decrees and things of that nature had to be translated.

Thanks,

Ange
Old Oct 20th 2002, 9:40 pm
Oregon/ShangHai

donahso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Translation of emails, letters, etc...

Originally posted by angeles73:
Can anyone confirm whether or not they were required to translate emails, letters, or any other type of correspondence with their fiancé(e)s/spouse for the I-129F?

I was told only official documents, like certificates, decrees and things of that nature had to be translated.

Thanks,

Ange
The instructions only require proof of meeting within the preceeding two years and that you both intend to marry within 90 days of arrival (for a fiancee visa). You don't need to justify a relationship until the interview. Don't make it difficult. A couple of photos of the two of you together along with transport tickets, hotel receipt, photocopies of visa pages is all that is needed. Save the emails, cards and letters for the interview.

-Don H
Old Oct 20th 2002, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not making it difficult. I am being cautious. I corresponded with my fiance in Spanish. The instructions say anything not in English, should be translated.... I take it you corresponded with your fiance in another language, sent in those emails in that other language and you did not have a problem???

Originally posted by donahso:

The instructions only require proof of meeting within the preceeding two years and that you both intend to marry within 90 days of arrival (for a fiancee visa). You don't need to justify a relationship until the interview. Don't make it difficult. A couple of photos of the two of you together along with transport tickets, hotel receipt, photocopies of visa pages is all that is needed. Save the emails, cards and letters for the interview.

-Don H
Old Oct 20th 2002, 10:02 pm
Oregon/ShangHai

donahso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by angeles73:
I'm not making it difficult. I am being cautious. I corresponded with my fiance in Spanish. The instructions say anything not in English, should be translated.... I take it you corresponded with your fiance in another language, sent in those emails in that other language and you did not have a problem???

I never sent any emails, cards or letters. Again, I did not try to veryify a relationship with the application. Only that we met...I sent 1 picture, the required forms and 2 letters of intent; one from me and one from her. I included a copy of my birth certificate, copy of my airline ticket boarding passes and photocopies of the visa pages out of my passport. Nothing else. We were approved without an RFE.

-Don H