Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just tell me it will get better

Just tell me it will get better

Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just tell me it will get better

Originally Posted by Emma M
Hey, I found good bread! It is Merita butter bread. Fattening yes, soft yes and really yum!
You still only get half a slice though. Why are the slices so tiny?
So you get more for your money...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
So you get more for your money...
Not really, I have to eat double to get a decent sandwich, lol!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:16 am
Just Joined

kmmorris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClarePlaits
Hello everyone

I've just moved from London to San Francisco with my American husband and 16 month old son.

Unlike seemingly everyone else in the universe, I don't think that San Francisco is great. I'm constantly being disappointed by facilities, customer service, the unfriendliness of people and don't get me started on the public transport.

I've only been here three weeks and I know it will get better if I ever manage to make any friends. Just tell me that I won't hate it here forever. Or tell me that it never gets any better and I'll start divorce proceedings now.

I'm also desperate for a cheese sandwich - what's wrong with the bread here?

Clare
Hey Claire,
I've just spent the worst year of my life adjusting to being in San Francisco, and apparently I am supposed to be grateful for the 'opportunity' to live here. It took me six months to find a decent loaf of bread (wholefoods) that didn't have sugar or honey in it and don't get me started on getting a decent cup of tea! It does get better but often takes therapy - welcome to California!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Nottinghill is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Just tell me it will get better

Originally Posted by kmmorris
Hey Claire,
I've just spent the worst year of my life adjusting to being in San Francisco, and apparently I am supposed to be grateful for the 'opportunity' to live here. It took me six months to find a decent loaf of bread (wholefoods) that didn't have sugar or honey in it and don't get me started on getting a decent cup of tea! It does get better but often takes therapy - welcome to California!
Oh Man does not live on bread alone!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:08 am
Just Joined

jo_march is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The bread question

Skip the wrapped, sliced stuff and go for the crusty unsliced. San Francisco has some great sourdough bakeries. There is one on the front where you can watch them baking it. Their chowder in a bread bowl is fantastic! And yes of course this bread would go wonderfully with cheddar cheese and Branston pickle.

We live in DE and have a "Big Sky" bakery (I think that's a one-off) and also can buy some very good "artisan" bread, crusty and delicious, in the local SuperFresh. We only treat ourselves on weekends because we can get through a whole loaf in no time.

By the way, it took me a few years to feel really settled here but it helped a lot when I got my green card and a job.

Joan
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

It occurred to me today that recommending all the more 'artisan' breads might be completely lost on the OP, that might be the bread she is finding weird - remember that the average Sainsbury's shopper probably doesn't see much outside of Kingsmill. It took my hubby a long time to get used to non-packaged bread when he moved to Amsterdam. He would go to M&S on a weekly basis (when it was still there) to buy his white sliced. Just a thought...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:15 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
It occurred to me today that recommending all the more 'artisan' breads might be completely lost on the OP, that might be the bread she is finding weird - remember that the average Sainsbury's shopper probably doesn't see much outside of Kingsmill. It took my hubby a long time to get used to non-packaged bread when he moved to Amsterdam. He would go to M&S on a weekly basis (when it was still there) to buy his white sliced. Just a thought...
Our local Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury had fantastic unpackaged bread and that was why I found it so yucky here...all that plastic wrapped cotton wool with a weird smell.

We also had a great bakery on our high street that I really missed.
We moved here from the North, although I grew up in the South of England, and I did find that there were more bakeries etc in the North.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Our local Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury had fantastic unpackaged bread and that was why I found it so yucky here...all that plastic wrapped cotton wool with a weird smell.

We also had a great bakery on our high street that I really missed.
We moved here from the North, although I grew up in the South of England, and I did find that there were more bakeries etc in the North.
Same here, our local Tesco and Sainsbury sold a lot more than packaged bread. I miss organic granary etc, I can buy 'artisan' bread in our local supermarket here but it costs an arm and a leg, more than double the price it cost in the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I always have to go to the local baker to get bread for my daughter when we're in the UK because none of the supermarkets near my MIL (also up north) have anything that's not packaged, or if it is it's still white bread. She has always had trouble eating any kind of bread there, even from the baker. But the girl loves a sandwich so what can you do!
Sorry to bring it up again but here she eats the bread from Trader Joes...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:27 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I always have to go to the local baker to get bread for my daughter when we're in the UK because none of the supermarkets near my MIL (also up north) have anything that's not packaged, or if it is it's still white bread. She has always had trouble eating any kind of bread there, even from the baker. But the girl loves a sandwich so what can you do!
Sorry to bring it up again but here she eats the bread from Trader Joes...
Even our local Co-op had a fresh bread section.

To be honest I have never bought bread from TJ's. I can get good bread at a price closer to home.
Mostly I make my own (in a bread machine) but I can't get the range of flours here that I could in the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TJs is my nearest shop so it makes sense to buy pretty much everything there.
Perhaps the fact that my MIL lives on the chav-iest estate in Chester has something to do with the local supermarket stocks.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Even our local Co-op had a fresh bread section.

To be honest I have never bought bread from TJ's. I can get good bread at a price closer to home.
Mostly I make my own (in a bread machine) but I can't get the range of flours here that I could in the UK.
Last Friday I discovered a new bread at Costco (at least it was new to me).

It was in their 'freshly baked' section, and looked and tasted just like a real Granary!

However, this being Costco, I had to buy 2 loaves, and there was still some left on Monday. And its texture and taste was just the same as when I bought it 3 days earlier...

WTF do they put in the bread here...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Last Friday I discovered a new bread at Costco (at least it was new to me).

It was in their 'freshly baked' section, and looked and tasted just like a real Granary!

However, this being Costco, I had to buy 2 loaves, and there was still some left on Monday. And its texture and taste was just the same as when I bought it 3 days earlier...

WTF do they put in the bread here...
Why is it still tasting good a bad thing?

Also, I think it keeps much better in a not-so-damp climate - my bread and baked goods dies in a day if left around in Michigan, right by the lake. But the same thing will keep for days here. Perhaps that's part of it.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tracym
Why is it still tasting good a bad thing?

Also, I think it keeps much better in a not-so-damp climate - my bread and baked goods dies in a day if left around in Michigan, right by the lake. But the same thing will keep for days here. Perhaps that's part of it.
Because we're all convinced that the only way it can stay 'fresh' is if it's pumped with chemicals to make it that way! Just the way we're led to believe the food over here is made, and to be honest it's usually the truth, with some happy exceptions of course!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Because we're all convinced that the only way it can stay 'fresh' is if it's pumped with chemicals to make it that way! Just the way we're led to believe the food over here is made, and to be honest it's usually the truth, with some happy exceptions of course!
Some stuff does have preservatives, sure.

But I've found my homemade stuff keeps for a few days too, although of course less than packaged things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.