Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just tell me it will get better

Just tell me it will get better

Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:27 am
Just Joined

ClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to all
Default Just tell me it will get better

Hello everyone

I've just moved from London to San Francisco with my American husband and 16 month old son.

Unlike seemingly everyone else in the universe, I don't think that San Francisco is great. I'm constantly being disappointed by facilities, customer service, the unfriendliness of people and don't get me started on the public transport.

I've only been here three weeks and I know it will get better if I ever manage to make any friends. Just tell me that I won't hate it here forever. Or tell me that it never gets any better and I'll start divorce proceedings now.

I'm also desperate for a cheese sandwich - what's wrong with the bread here?

Clare
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:30 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just tell me it will get better

It does get better, also remember you don't have to always be in SF. The US is quite a large country and you should be able to find something right for you. I would say get out and about join some clubs or volunteer or something. 3 weeks is a bit early to quit but if you really hate it here that much.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClarePlaits
Hello everyone

I've just moved from London to San Francisco with my American husband and 16 month old son.

Unlike seemingly everyone else in the universe, I don't think that San Francisco is great. I'm constantly being disappointed by facilities, customer service, the unfriendliness of people and don't get me started on the public transport.

I've only been here three weeks and I know it will get better if I ever manage to make any friends. Just tell me that I won't hate it here forever. Or tell me that it never gets any better and I'll start divorce proceedings now.

Clare
It will get better, and worse, and better. Then eventually it will level out one way or the other. I could tell you more but I have to drink so much to deal with living here I'm not functioning too well.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone

Clare
Yes, to the bread, USA & the word great bread to not go together. Though someone (???) will pop by and say everything in the USA is the greatest. Get a Costco card, they sell great French Baguettes, uncooked. 15 mins wow, taste fantastic.
Give it a while, things will get better, you are in that area "Nothing seems as easy as you thought it would be", you are comparing what you know in the Old Country to, totally new City/Country.
Yes you will have to join in, yes you will, make new friends I hope. Hang in there & give it a go. Try not to fight it, let the force be with you. I have live in USA for years, still miss the old silly things "Egg & tom sandwich". Hopefully, the gang will be along shortly to cheer you up.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. Tell us why or how you are here, in The Greatest City in the greatest, State in the greatest Country in the world. Me (UKC + USC) here because USC wife tied me up & forced me here at gun point. She now trusts me & I am allowed out for a few hours a day on my own.

Last edited by frrussre; Mar 29th 2008 at 3:42 am.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:41 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

It DOES get better!! It took me about 6 months to feel happy and settled here. I still get the odd day when I'm pissed off with everyone and everything!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
It will get better, and worse, and better. Then eventually it will level out one way or the other. I could tell you more but I have to drink so much to deal with living here I'm not functioning too well.
bevinva
Have glass for me.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You'll feel better when you've met some people.

Give yourself time.

"What's wrong with the bread here?" would make a good book title
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
She now trusts me & I am allowed out for a few hours a day on my own.
Frank......

I'd hate to think my British husband hated living here and thankfully he doesn't. Hope things get better for you.....
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

It will take time, it's the old culture shock thing kicking in. Hopefully, you will meet some new people and make friends. At least, in San Fran, there's some culture, nice scenery and some interesting neighborhoods.
As for bread, I've been here 6 years ad I have yet to find a decent loaf.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:57 am
Just Joined

ClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to allClarePlaits is a name known to all

Thanks everyone.

I know that three weeks is not a long time to adjust to a new life, it took me nine months to get used to being someone's Mum.

And I am trying to make friends. I tried very hard today and made friends with someone who's leaving for Philadelphia tomorrow that's almost comedy bad luck. I'm quite a shy type, so it's always a struggle.

Here's the background, my husband is a USC and part of the deal when we got married was that we'd move here. Everyone I know thinks it's great here and the few weeks I'd spent here seemed ok, so I thought it would be nice to escape the rain and whatever was annoying me that week. This move has been a long time coming, almost 2 years of planning and in my saner moments I do think that maybe I'm having a planning comedown.

My husband doesn't understand what's wrong with the bread, does it contain nanobots to stop it from going off?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:59 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ClarePlaits;6126282]- what's wrong with the bread here?[QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better, there are thousands of expats all over the US saying the same thing!!

I have found one in Walmart called English Toasting Bread which isn't too bad. I've practically given up on plastic-wrapped sliced bread - too sweet and full of additives....
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My husband doesn't understand what's wrong with the bread, does it contain nanobots to stop it from going off?
Space Age Technology.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Space Age Technology.
Lol could they not put some of that technology into their cell phones? Mine looks like a kids toy (although to be fair we did get the cheap ones).
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone.

I know that three weeks is not a long time to adjust to a new life, it took me nine months to get used to being someone's Mum.

And I am trying to make friends. I tried very hard today and made friends with someone who's leaving for Philadelphia tomorrow that's almost comedy bad luck. I'm quite a shy type, so it's always a struggle.

Here's the background, my husband is a USC and part of the deal when we got married was that we'd move here. Everyone I know thinks it's great here and the few weeks I'd spent here seemed ok, so I thought it would be nice to escape the rain and whatever was annoying me that week. This move has been a long time coming, almost 2 years of planning and in my saner moments I do think that maybe I'm having a planning comedown.

nanabots may be an improvement, wish they would stop putting sugar in it.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lol could they not put some of that technology into their cell phones? Mine looks like a kids toy (although to be fair we did get the cheap ones).
Sorry, bread got all the technology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.