Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

is it just a random pipedream?

is it just a random pipedream?

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Lou1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: is it just a random pipedream?

excuse my ignorance... what's OP!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it just a random pipedream?

Originally Posted by Lou1980
i know! we're just trying to do the best we can for the kids,... give them the best chances as we see them etc and sadly I don't think the UK is it!
Have you considered Canada (many parts are quite nice - even in winter... not quite the frozen wasteland that the media portrays)? It's culturally similar to both the UK and the US, is a bit easier to get into from an immigration POV, and is a heck of a lot closer to the US for holidays!

I've always recommended Canada as a "stepping stone" to the US for those who have the US in mind as a long-term goal. If/when you become Canadian citizens (which does not jeapordize your UK citizenship) then other visa options become available to you.

OP = original poster = you!

Ian
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

i know! we're just trying to do the best we can for the kids,... give them the best chances as we see them etc and sadly I don't think the UK is it!
I've never wanted to stay here - dunno why just don't and hubby is of a similar mind set!

hmmmm
Improving your children's lot in life might be more easily achieved by changing your situation in the UK. I wouldn't assume that moving to the US is necessarily going to improve their future.

I'm currently trying to get back to the US, but would certainly stick up for the fact that the UK has a lot going for it ... depending on what part you live in.

From years of reading threads on BE, emigrating can be the best thing in the world for some families, but can also make life hell for your kids, depending on their ages, personalities, and where you emigrate to.
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

That's you. You are the original poster aka OP. ( the person who starts the topic)

Last edited by Ginblossom; Jan 2nd 2010 at 12:29 pm. Reason: Beaten to it.....
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

hahaha - thanks for that!

If we do it - it will be done properly, I wouldn't risk anything that would put my family status in jeopardy!

my children are young now and to be honest we are thinking more 5 years down the line but need to think about it as it's not just us involved (i mean not just me and hubby)

i understand why it's so difficult
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

If we do it - it will be done properly, I wouldn't risk anything that would put my family status in jeopardy!

my children are young now and to be honest we are thinking more 5 years down the line but need to think about it as it's not just us involved (i mean not just me and hubby)

Have you asked in the Australia and Canada forums? I don't whether you could get there as an accountant but they would be able to tell you.

An outside possibility *might* be for your husband to work for a large company that has offices in the USA, (that might involve working in London though) and biding your time so that he could get a transfer down the line.

if he's still a student then that's going to be some years away, if it happens at all.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never wanted to stay here - dunno why just don't and hubby is of a similar mind set!

hmmmm
Thought about Aus? or somewhere else in Europe??
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

speshfesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Lou,

I agree with The Horticulturalist, I looked at Australia out of curiosity and I believe midwives are on their 'in demand' list. Similar strict visa conditions apply like the US but there are sites where you can do a points test to see if you have at least a chance of getting in .
No guarantees but got to be worth a look?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere by the UK by the sounds of.

Cant blame her.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Anywhere by the UK by the sounds of.

Cant blame her.
Hear hear
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

don't get me wrong I love the UK but I don't want this to be it and our final destination!

who knows what will happen.....

but I'm keeping my options open

as for timescales we have set this goal to happwn within 7 years so it's not like I'm saying today!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

don't get me wrong I love the UK but I don't want this to be it and our final destination!

who knows what will happen.....

but I'm keeping my options open

as for timescales we have set this goal to happwn within 7 years so it's not like I'm saying today!
Fair enough.

I don't know how old you are (and I certainly wouldn't ask a lady to reveal her age) but there seems to be an age limit for Aus if you were to go that way. I'm not sure how strict it is but they state 18-45yrs as the criteria (with appropriate points associated I guess?).

Just a thought .
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

hahaha!

I'm 29 and hubby is 27!

so still VERY VERY VERY young
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Get a good job in the UK and come to California for nice holidays. Seriously.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

NIce thread guys, karma to you all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.