is it just a random pipedream?

is it just a random pipedream?

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Lou1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is it just a random pipedream?

A quick brief.

Hubby and I are brits living in south west england,
he is currently studying a degree in finance so at the end of it will be a qualified accountant.

im a stay at home mum to 3 (under 3 1/2) children now. (no degree)

We would really like to live in the US - not sure where but California seems lke a nice place to start!
been on holiday there and liked it although very different to living I'm sure!

I'm not even sure if we'd be allowed to as I can see immigration is tight but what do you guys think?!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it just a random pipedream?

Read the wiki and see if you are eligible under the various types of visa's available.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Read the wiki and see if you are eligible under the various types of visa's available.
It wouldn't hurt to provide the link ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:50 am
Just Joined

I've had a look and it looks almost impossible!
Dh being an accountant isn't a Skill in demand althoughI had started my midwifery and am now thinking about taking it back up as it's a demanded job!

I read though that even if I say got a job as a midwife under the sponsership programme my hubby wouldn't be able to work!

If we go we;d both want the chance to work and stay there
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou1980
Dh being an accountant isn't a Skill in demand althoughI had started my midwifery and am now thinking about taking it back up as it's a demanded job!

I read though that even if I say got a job as a midwife under the sponsership programme my hubby wouldn't be able to work!

You'd normally need to qualify independently for work authorization, I believe. Some visas (e.g., H-1B) do not allow the spouse to work (they just get permission to live in the US), and there are plenty of threads on here from spouse who go out of their minds being stuck in the house with no job to go to.

I think some visas allow spouses to work, but am not sure.

There is a forum for asking about immigration - this general USA forum is more for general US-related posts (What is Phoenix like? What is the best cable company? Please explain health insurance ... etc.)
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You'd normally need to qualify independently for work authorization, I believe. Some visas (e.g., H-1B) do not allow the spouse to work (they just get permission to live in the US), and there are plenty of threads on here from spouse who go out of their minds being stuck in the house with no job to go to.

I think some visas allow spouses to work, but am not sure.
The common scenario of a visa that allows the spouse to work is the L-1 (intra-company transferee). That is to say, OP's hubby gets a job as an accountant in a multi-national firm but in their UK office and then they transfer him to their US office. This scenario hinges around the company having a good business reason to take this expensive step, so it's not the kind of thing you'd expect them to do with a junior or newer employee.

It's really tough-to-impossible for most to be able to move to the US. Sorry to put a dampener on your ambitions. Feel free to ask any other questions you have and we'll do our best to answer. We're a nice, cuddly helpful bunch on here!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:06 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by tonrob
The common scenario of a visa that allows the spouse to work is the L-1 (intra-company transferee). That is to say, OP's hubby gets a job as an accountant in a multi-national firm but in their UK office and then they transfer him to their US office. This scenario hinges around the company having a good business reason to take this expensive step, so it's not the kind of thing you'd expect them to do with a junior or newer employee.

It's really tough-to-impossible for most to be able to move to the US. Sorry to put a dampener on your ambitions. Feel free to ask any other questions you have and we'll do our best to answer. We're a nice, cuddly helpful bunch on here!
Thanks for the clarification - I hesitate to respond where I'm not sure of the exact answer (sometimes trying to be helpful isn't much help if your advice is incorrect).
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Dh being an accountant isn't a Skill in demand...
He'd need to be a CPA to make any headway in the US. An MBA wouldn't hurt either.

I had started my midwifery and am now thinking about taking it back up as it's a demanded job!
Sadly, I'm afraid, not in the US - where it's still largely looked on as being an unnecessary skill. I'm quite thankful for midwives - as my mum had one when I was born!

As dunroving suggested, that would depend on the visa. The H-4 derivative visa (of an H-1B) does not allow the spouse to work. Ever. Full stop. In immigration circles, it's known as the "visa from hell". Other visas allow the spouse to apply for permission to work... but you'd still need a US company to sponsor you.

At any rate, you're looking at an uphill climb. It's not impossible for someone who is highly motivated and has useful qualifications.

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

oh dear - it really is looking like a pipe dream :-(
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:13 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Thanks for the clarification - I hesitate to respond where I'm not sure of the exact answer (sometimes trying to be helpful isn't much help if your advice is incorrect).
As long as you're being cuddly and helpful that's the main thing. Those are the qualities that unite us on BE.

Edit: If sprouts were a quality then they would unite us too...
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately Lou. You can still have lovely holidays in CA though.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:16 pm
Septic Sprout

Or a longer-term goal (see my post on L-1). Another route would be to amass some serious cash and start (or buy) a business over here - that's fraught with a lot more hurdles but people do manage it.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

i know! we're just trying to do the best we can for the kids,... give them the best chances as we see them etc and sadly I don't think the UK is it!
I've never wanted to stay here - dunno why just don't and hubby is of a similar mind set!

hmmmm
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Of course, if I was being evil minded I could say that almost a guaranteed route there would be marriage to a US Citizen, but as you are already married with kids, your hubby might not appreciate it, hehe.

I like the OP's attitude. None of this bs about well I want to go so I must be allowed and nothing will stop me. Makes a refreshing change.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:22 pm
Septic Sprout

i know! we're just trying to do the best we can for the kids,... give them the best chances as we see them etc and sadly I don't think the UK is it!
I've never wanted to stay here - dunno why just don't and hubby is of a similar mind set!

hmmmm
If that's your motivation then you might want to browse the many threads in BE on US lifestyle and such. Yes there are advantages that some people enjoy, but there are plenty of disadvantages too that make the US a very challenging country to live in for some (healthcare, education costs, vacation and sick time, taxes, employee rights, consumer rights, crime and more).

You may even find from a bit more research that you wouldn't want to move over here, which might save you some heartache and give you a new focus or goal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.