Just passed my Driving test

Wikiposts

Just passed my Driving test

Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Foreign Redneck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just passed my Driving test

Originally Posted by Kar98
I don't think you're supposed to. I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to have a drivers' license from one state, and if you have a CDL, you're not supposed to have a regular license either.
Licences from states other than the one you are in are clipped, but are still valid, as for CDL, it is a totally seperate licence from the regular license, but has different catagories on it.

eg. Passenger and Air Brakes for CDL. bus licence,

Air Brakes, Haz-Mat, Tank, Straight Truck, Tractor Trailer (class A,B,C),and Combination vehicles etc. for truck licence.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
Took the test in Norwalk CT. Well.... it was VERY easy. One left, two rights, straight back into the DMV centre and into a parking spot - no reverse parking or manouvers of any description whatsoever. If I said I was driving for 5 minutes that would probably be overstating it.

Is it normally that simple?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Never drove in the UK, passed my test here. Hope I never have to parallel park or back up to much cos I'm crap at it. Need more wine, I just realised I'm a 'merican driver.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
Never drove in the UK, passed my test here. Hope I never have to parallel park or back up to much cos I'm crap at it. Need more wine, I just realised I'm a 'merican driver.
Good thing is, if you're up to it, you can go and rent a car in UK on ya US license You may need the wine beforehand though!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

im terrified at the thought of driving in this country! (america)

I drove for a short period on a provisional license in the UK and took a bunch of lessons but never had the guts (or money) to take the tests and eventually sold my car to move into a new apartment.

with a baby on the way i know i really should learn to drive, but i was nervous driving in the UK and ive made myself believe that i'll crash and die the moment i set out on a road here so ive put off doing anything car related except be a passenger. *sigh*

Is there anywhere i can take USA driving lessons? do they even do that here? I live in Festus/Hillsboro Missouri, so if anyone has any tips or suggests im open to hearing them.

I feel so crap for being so scared to drive when everyone keeps saying how easy it is
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Foreign Redneck is an unknown quantity at this point

The one thing i found strange at first is that you can turn right on RED at lights. Unless told otherwise.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

Hi Erick

Did you use the rental car to take your test in? I'm confused by the DMV website, it says:

A properly registered and insured vehicle appropriate for the type of test you are taking. If you do not have a valid driver's license you can not test in a rented vehicle.

so I'm wondering if my UK Driver's Licence is considered valid?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:50 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I'm also interested in people's knowledge/experience of learning to drive in America. I'm from inner-city Leeds and never had the need, inclination or money to learn. Apart from a couple of people showing me how to drive 5 yards forward in car parks I'm a complete newbie to driving. As I'm not moving to a big cty in America I really need to get my licence ASAP after arriving (end of this month all being well).
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

It seems the test is tougher up here in Minnesota here too - I did pretty much the same things I had to do to pass my UK one, but without roundabouts. And it was all at a test centre. My parallel parking was ticked as poor

We have 60 days to take the test here, so I did it in a rental car. They ask to check the insurance at the start of the test, but they seemed happy with what I provided. I would recommend reading the state manual if you have to do a knowledge test - how else would you know how far behind a school bus you have to stop? (20 foot in Minnesota, in case you were wondering).
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I have my test later this month at Oakland, CA. I am pi**ing in my pants and I hope it goes well.

I have a temporary license and I plan to go alone to the tests. What if I fail :O….the temporary license is revoked?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lazza
Hi Erick

Did you use the rental car to take your test in? I'm confused by the DMV website, it says:

A properly registered and insured vehicle appropriate for the type of test you are taking. If you do not have a valid driver's license you can not test in a rented vehicle.

so I'm wondering if my UK Driver's Licence is considered valid?

Thanks!
No, unfortunately CT doesn't let you take the test in a rental - I had to borrow a car from one of my colleagues at work.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone done a MI test recently? I need to get mine done soon
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Driver's licenses are issued by the individual states. So your question should be -- is it always that easy in Connecticut.

However, I will admit that my experience has always been first time drivers taking their first test. I can envision an examination of an experienced previously licensed driver -- it may take only five minutes to observe that they know what they are doing.

I really don't know. But perhaps it might be an unfair comparison between the two test.
I don't think the test my son took as a first-time driver was any different from mine.

The British test back when I took it included 3-point (K) turn, reversing around a corner, emergency stop and hill start (because it was a manual [stick shift] I guess) and going around a roundabout. The latter I think should be included in the California test, approaching a roundabout here is a complete lottery as to what drivers will do.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

Thank you!

I'm going to use a driving school's car, and get a couple of hours with an instructor while I'm at it. This is not necessarily so that I'll pass the test (if it's as simple as it sounds), but more for my own peace of mind.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would post back as my husband did his MI driving skills test last week after completing a written test of about 40 questions. Seems that it is basically equivalent to the UK one in terms of the requirements for manouvres (bay park, parallel park, emergency stop which takes place off road in a parking lot or private land - he did his in a church carpark), and the duration of the test (he spent about 45 minutes driving around after completing the manouvres section). However things that he may have failed on in the UK (distance from the car in front, not following recommended speed limits) were just pointed out to him as a warning at the end - he still passed. Now I just have to do mine

Seems easy enough to get it done here - you just walk in to the DMV to do the written bit, no appointments required. For the driving test lots of places operate walk in sessions on a first come first served basis, husband managed to get an appointment booked in for 2 days after he called up an instructor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.