Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just passed my driving test...

Just passed my driving test...

Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just passed my driving test...

...and for anyone who may be nervous about doing it, dont be. It was ridiculously easy. It lasted for around 4-6mins and consisted of driving round the block a couple of times, a 3 point turn, and a parralel park. It was absolutely crazy. I'm in NY, I dont know if its harder elsewhere but if I hadnt been afraid of annoying the examiner I would have laughed when he said that the test was over. Hope that encourages anyone that might be about to take it or thinking about doing it!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice
Default Re: Just passed my driving test...

I never took a driving lesson in my life....my ex let me drive the car a few times in a parking lot...I took the test and PASSED first time! been driving ever since...That's why there are so many crazy drivers out there...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:29 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Firstly I got my learners permit by shear common sense and a process of elimination as I didnt even know I would have to take a written test.

For the road test.

I drove around the block, pulled into the side of the road, I can hardly call it parking as he said park where you want so I did, near no other cars.

He then asked me what I would do if I was on a hill, "turn into the curb" which actually could be seen as the wrong answer if it was a real test.

Then he asked me to pull out and take a left, take the next right, then the next right then right again and we were back at the DMV, he then got me to reverse 60 yards then we drove up to where I started and he told me I'd passed.

Then they insisted I'd already paid for it so I got my licence for free.

In finland it takes 4 years before you can get a full licence. It took me about 8 hours of driving with the Mrs in the car and one test.

Then again I did learn to drive in bad snow and minus conditions
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I had to back out of a parking spot, drive around the block (I passed no other moving cars!) and pull back into the spot. My daughter just did behind the wheel at school, they had her driving all over including the interstate.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I had the driving lessons in the UK with BSM, failed my first test there, passed the 2nd one, Learnt to drive in a stick shift, paid a fortune for all the lessons, tests etc. Failed the first time because I didn't use rear view mirror enough and I stalled at a crossroads!
When I had to take a driving test here (in OK) I was really nervous about it, my experience was pretty similar to previous posts, I studied the rules of the road book beforehand, but was still surprised to see the written test was in multiple choice format and pretty much common sense. I was in the car with the examiner for about 5 minutes and passed the test. I was relieved, obviously, but also confused, I have 2 sons, one that has been driving about 3 years now and one that is just now starting out (16), In drivers ed' he gets approx' one hour every other week with the instructor, we have a form to fill in, we have to take him out and document 50 hours of driving in different conditions, (How do they know you actually do this?) I'm not sure how good a driver my son will be, right now he is pretty scary! Considering that teenagers are in the highest range for car accidents, I really do think they should have to take a longer, more maneuver oriented driving test, I also think that they should have some sort of "L.Plate" system here too, I find that most confusing.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:59 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islandgurl View Post
I never took a driving lesson in my life....my ex let me drive the car a few times in a parking lot...I took the test and PASSED first time! been driving ever since...That's why there are so many crazy drivers out there...
me 2

I had to reverse into a space and parrallel park, then a quick once round the block - was in the car about 4 mins

easy peasy - and worrying
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:18 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

The Mexican lady infront of me failed, I could clearly see her arguing with the instructor i the car, she also had about 5 family members with her for support and none of them were pleased.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy View Post
The Mexican lady infront of me failed, I could clearly see her arguing with the instructor i the car, she also had about 5 family members with her for support and none of them were pleased.
in the car with her too?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:50 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I went into the BMV and told them I was English and a much superior driver and they gave me my licence there and then.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

It took me a year to get around to applying for my test in Massachusetts and I was confident the test would be a piece of cake. Guess what, I failed! In fact the guy refused to get in the car with me as I didn't know the hand signals.

Yes, I should have read the book but I'd sailed through the written test and had been driving around the states for a year so I thought I'd wing it.

Hand signals in the UK are just different and the examiner almost wet himself when I started rotating my arm to indicate a right turn.

I took the test in another town 10 days later and passed....
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

wow...the examiner must have been bored if you had to parallel park and 3point turn

congrats though!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy-cat View Post

Hand signals in the UK are just different and the examiner almost wet himself when I started rotating my arm to indicate a right turn.
Aye, because there's only one hand signal in Mass, and it consists of the middle finger
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Aye, because there's only one hand signal in Mass, and it consists of the middle finger
Too funny!!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

A three point good heavens above they took that test seriously. Didn't know they knew what a 3 point turn was.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob View Post

It didn't take me long to notice that 'quirk'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.