Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just passed my driving test...

Just passed my driving test...

Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:41 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just passed my driving test...

Originally Posted by Bob
Then you've got the driving test, about a half hour usually, but anything from 20-60 mins. usually you have to drive on the dual carriageway, or somewhere where you hit 5th gear, and it's got to be in a manual unless you want a restricted license. You've got to do at least 3 of the manoeuvres that includes an emergency stop, 3 point turn, a proper parallel park between cars, a reverse corner, a hill start, a 50 foot straight reverse.
When I took my test in '93 you only had to do 2 of the manoeuvres, mine were a turn in the road (not called a 3 point turn as you can use as many points as you want as long as you don't take the piss) and parallel parking (only time I nailed it was on my test). The emergency stop wasn't considered a manoeuvre.

I nearly failed my test because I pulled over to the right lane leading up to a roundabout too early.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't skid the car, that's an instant fail.

Your allowed to stall the car, it goes down as a minor fault, but your not allowed to repeat the same minor fault in the category, and you can't stall after doing a emergency stop.

How did I ever pass my test in the UK?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Almost NO USC's could pass the UK test. Add to that, if you pass the test in an automatic, you only get to drive an automatic. Need to take test in stick shift, so can then drive either.

UK:
Hill starts.
Emergency stop.
Test takes, more then 30 minutes (I took mine 41 years ago, so now longer & tougher)
Drive on real roads, real traffic, real pedestrians.
Well to be fair I don't know how to drive a stick shift. That gets me out of driving in Europe.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Well to be fair I don't know how to drive a stick shift. That gets me out of driving in Europe.
They have automatics over there now, they are catching on pretty quickly, my Sister in UK has one, she loves it
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishtart
They have automatics over there now, they are catching on pretty quickly, my Sister in UK has one, she loves it
But renting an automatic in the UK costs quite a bit more than a stick shift. It's a tax on Americans.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:53 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I've found some very good deals on Automatics in the UK, maybe they can tell I'm just a returning Ex-pat.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
LOL, I had forgotten the mirror, sygnal. maneuver!!

The three point turn is getting your vehicle to end up pointing in the opposite direction by using forward/reverse and NOT touchhing the curb, you can only move forward/reverese three times! Sounds easy now, but at that time, it was a buggar to do! lol
The three point turn , is known in USA as "K" turn.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:42 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

When I came to MS I had a hell of the time with the DMV thinking I was some shady character because I had a deed poll document showing that my immigration documents and passport were in different names to my birth certificate. To get my license I had to go to the Highway Patrol HQ and speak with a fraud investigator.

After almost an hour of explaining to him what a deed poll was and that there was no real process for changing your name in the UK, he agreed to let me have a license. He was so tired of dealing with it all he just signed all the paper work so I didn't even have to take a test, they issued a license there and then for me.

I like to think I am one of the least qualified legal drivers on the roads of MS today, license without knowledge
Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

So here we have it, her home after one week !
Attached Thumbnails Just passed my driving test...-garage.bmp  
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
So here we have it, her home after one week !
Are you sure? shouldn't that be 'His home'?