Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Summons

Jury Summons

Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Summons

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think employers are legally obliged to pay you whilst you are on jury duty.
I was thinking that too - though not sure about hourly employees. I noticed many seemed to think that jury duty would cause one financial hardship, and that professionals could opt out. I don't think that's the case at all - otherwise we'd have very skewed juries!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I was thinking that too - though not sure about hourly employees. I noticed many seemed to think that jury duty would cause one financial hardship, and that professionals could opt out. I don't think that's the case at all - otherwise we'd have very skewed juries!
I edited my previous post. Employers are only required to pay you for the first 5 days of duty. Even then if you depend on overtime or tips etc you'll be out of pocket.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Employers are legally obliged to pay you whilst you are on jury duty for the first 5 days.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/jury.html#paid
Interesting - must vary by state:

http://www.perrysburgcourt.com/Jury/jury.htm#employer

Must my employer pay me while I am on jury duty?

Your employer is not required to pay you while on jury duty; however, employers are prohibited by law from firing an employee or taking any disciplinary action that could lead to the discharge of your employment. Check with your personnel department about your company policy regarding jury duty pay.

While employers have valid concerns about how jury service affects their employee resources, they are encouraged to support the jury system by paying employees while they are serving as jurors. We need to make it easier for citizens to report for jury service if society is to have the benefit of fair trials. Many citizens cannot afford to serve if they will lose their earnings during jury service. A much broader cross section of society will be free to serve when financial hardship is removed. This will create juries that are truly representative and reflective of our society. By agreeing to compensate employees during jury service, not only will employers continue to enjoy the benefits of the jury system, but they will also contribute toward its improvement.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Interesting - must vary by state:

http://www.perrysburgcourt.com/Jury/jury.htm#employer

Must my employer pay me while I am on jury duty?

Your employer is not required to pay you while on jury duty; however, employers are prohibited by law from firing an employee or taking any disciplinary action that could lead to the discharge of your employment. Check with your personnel department about your company policy regarding jury duty pay.

While employers have valid concerns about how jury service affects their employee resources, they are encouraged to support the jury system by paying employees while they are serving as jurors. We need to make it easier for citizens to report for jury service if society is to have the benefit of fair trials. Many citizens cannot afford to serve if they will lose their earnings during jury service. A much broader cross section of society will be free to serve when financial hardship is removed. This will create juries that are truly representative and reflective of our society. By agreeing to compensate employees during jury service, not only will employers continue to enjoy the benefits of the jury system, but they will also contribute toward its improvement.
LOL I didn't notice it was for Con...you must be right...like everything else it varies from state to state.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:01 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

My husband received a jury summons within days of becoming a USC.
Christ...I've had a drivers license for 31 years, never been convicted of anything, have always been a citizen- and have never been called (and I also would like to do it once)!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
What relevance has this got to a discussion on being called for jury duty in the US? Get with the program....
Oh and I see that you have made a considerable contribution to this subject with your enormous knowledge on the subject,get with the programme indeed !Huh !
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:41 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Christ...I've had a drivers license for 31 years, never been convicted of anything, have always been a citizen- and have never been called (and I also would like to do it once)!
Uh-oh. You just set the cosmic wheels in motion that will make it possible for you to be called. Just wait. You'll receive a summons in the mail fairly soon. If not you've gotta tell me how you do it.