Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jury Summons

Jury Summons

Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:03 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Summons

Originally Posted by Ray
In the UK it is....as are

Judge
Magistrate
Solicitor
Barrister
Religious minister
MP
Member of the armed forces
Member of the medical profession (including chemist or vet)
Police or probation officer
So you were a Religious Minister in the UK.. interesting..
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by anabella
I have received a letter that says that I have been randomly selected to be a juror some time in January. I thought this was a bit odd since I am not even allowed to vote. After reading the whole document I think that I am not qualified because I'm not a US citizen (I would have to have a US passport to be a US citizen, right? ) But being part of a jury is an experience that I wouldn't mind having, do you think I could just turn up and hope that they don't check and let me be part of it or should I just let them know that I don't think I'm qualified.. I would really like to do it ..
They've sent me the same letter 3 times now and each time it gets filed under "B". (Bin).

(In best Micheal Caine voice).."I cant think of any reason to want to be on a jury ....except that you're bloody nosy."
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband received a jury summons within days of becoming a USC.
More like a court summons
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Thydney
having sat through a few trials you have got to be kidding
Yeah but be fair....you were in the dock for pinching knickers off of washing lines.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:07 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
They've sent me the same letter 3 times now and each time it gets filed under "B". (Bin).

(In best Micheal Caine voice).."I cant think of any reason to want to be on a jury ....except that you're bloody nosy."
That isn't fair.. you get invited and you don't want to attend and I get invited and would love to go but I'm not allowed to..
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:07 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So you were a Religious Minister in the UK.. interesting..
My ordination certificate was still wet .....
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:09 am
Account Closed

That isn't fair.. you get invited and you don't want to attend and I get invited and would love to go but I'm not allowed to..
Im not allowed to either (thank god) I informed them on the first letter but they still keep sending them.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I've been called three times but not selected. Spent all day at the courthouse sitting around and not being picked. So even if you're called it doesn't guarantee you will serve.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by surly
I've been called three times but not selected. Spent all day at the courthouse sitting around and not being picked. So even if you're called it doesn't guarantee you will serve.
Really? Is that how it works?!!.. I guess they have to cover their own backs and make sure they'll have enough jurors if some people don't turn up..
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Is that how it works?!!.. I guess they have to cover their own backs and make sure they'll have enough jurors if some people don't turn up..
No they pick 12 jurors plus alternates. The selection process can take two sometimes more days, you hang around for hours with dozens of others and end up being dismissed.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:57 am

No they pick 12 jurors plus alternates. The selection process can take two sometimes more days, you hang around for hours with dozens of others and end up being dismissed.
So about 2 days to get selected and then the court case can go on for any length of time? It sounds like to be a juror you have to put your life on hold indefinitely..
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:06 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a valid point. If your ever unlucky enough to find yourself at trial, you probably will not be facing your peers - unless you stack shelves, flip burgers, don't work, can leave your job for extended periods of time. Most professionals would be eligible to be excused, and I would imagine would choose to do so. Jury duty does not pay well

So about 2 days to get selected and then the court case can go on for any length of time? It sounds like to be a juror you have to put your life on hold indefinitely..
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't get summoned any more but if you can prove hardship you may be excused, and the bulk of those on BE can be excused as non citizens or for being over 70
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:12 am

I don't get summoned any more but if you can prove hardship you may be excused, and the bulk of those on BE can be excused as non citizens or for being over 70
Not being able to speak English gets you out of it too.. I can always say that " I know nothing, I'm from Barcelona"
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:15 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in DC proper (crime capital) I was called nearly every year. I would show up looking as WASP'ish as possible, in a nice very nice suit, walking with more poise than I usually do. When the jurors were called into the courtroom I could see the defense attorneys scratching my name off the moment I walked in the door and the prosecutors putting little gold stars next to my name.

I was nixed on the preempt challenges nearly everytime by the defense (i.e. the challenge they do for basically any reason).

Now that I'm an attorney I get nixed before I even show up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.