Jury Duty

Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Duty

Originally Posted by Anian
Was on two cases in the UK, my biggest fear after getting my US citizenship is that I'll be called up for a state case and have to go to one of the awkward courts downtown for weeks.
If it's a weeks long case they try to find people who are willing to do that. They usually indicate if it will be a long or short trial and give you some leeway.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to find when ask how you would decide the case saying my 30 years police experience leads me to believe in the majority of cases the person the officer arrested is guilty gets me shown the door.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Do you still get paid by your employer when on jury duty? I've always wanted to do it for a good case because I think I'd find it interesting.
It might depend on the employer. Here is my employer's policy:

We encourage you to participate in jury duty if you are called, and if your business obligations allow you to serve. Your <company name removed> pay will continue for the duration of jury duty and you can keep any pay you receive as a juror.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

We encourage you to participate in jury duty if you are called, and if your business obligations allow you to serve. Your <company name removed> pay will continue for the duration of jury duty and you can keep any pay you receive as a juror.
Oh I see, I thought you might do but then didn't know if the company would say 'sorry you're not working so no pay, tough luck!' or that kind of thing.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I tend to find when ask how you would decide the case saying my 30 years police experience leads me to believe in the majority of cases the person the officer arrested is guilty gets me shown the door.
It stands to reason, if they weren't guilty the police wouldn't have arrested them!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Each time I have served I was paid by my employer and when filling in the form for jury pay I have donated it to a charity. (It's not much money but enough to pay for petrol and parking, although you are expected to declare jury pay and pay income taxes).
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Oh I see, I thought you might do but then didn't know if the company would say 'sorry you're not working so no pay, tough luck!' or that kind of thing.
Anyone doing jury duty should clarify that with their employer. In fact, anyone who could be called for jury duty show clarify it so that they know beforehand. Of course, your employer not paying you isn't a good enough excuse to get out of jury duty anyway. That's why the court pays you the princely sum of, in my case, $15 per day! The court even offered us the option of donating the $15 to charity so I did that.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone doing jury duty should clarify that with their employer. In fact, anyone who could be called for jury duty show clarify it so that they know beforehand. Of course, your employer not paying you isn't a good enough excuse to get out of jury duty anyway. That's why the court pays you the princely sum of, in my case, $15 per day! The court even offered us the option of donating the $15 to charity so I did that.
They also provided a form to give to the employer as proof that you served.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It stands to reason, if they weren't guilty the police wouldn't have arrested them!
Exactly
Old Jun 27th 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
Exactly
In the case I was called for, a cop was charged with sexually assaulting a woman he had arrested. He was found not guilty.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In the case I was called for, a cop was charged with sexually assaulting a woman he had arrested. He was found not guilty.
And .... ?

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 27th 2014 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Uh-oh, bang goes the Aristotelian logic.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:56 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I served in UK on a mortgage fraud case. It went on over a week and we were sequestered in a.hotel overnight once deliberations started. 2 nights I think. I was a student, so the few quid a day went a long way!

Lawyer defendant was guilty.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I served in UK on a mortgage fraud case. It went on over a week and we were sequestered in a.hotel overnight once deliberations started. 2 nights I think. I was a student, so the few quid a day went a long way!

Lawyer defendant was guilty.
A friend of mine in England did six months on a fraud case. In fact I think it was supposed to be six months but went on longer.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A friend of mine in England did six months on a fraud case. In fact I think it was supposed to be six months but went on longer.
Your friend got six months? Who was he defrauding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.