British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The Joy of HOA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/joy-hoa-361168/)

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:04 pm

The Joy of HOA

Bastards.

I have a 30ft flagpole in back yard courtesy of the previous owners. Normally I fly a Stars and Stripes and Union Flag from it. All is well. Last night we had a gathering of English friends at our house so, for the evening, we flew the Union Flag and a St Georges Cross.

This morning I have a had a merry half hour with the local nazis - sorry HOA - on my doorstep demanding I dont do that again....if I insist on flying another nation's flag (they tell) me I must have the Stars and Stripes above it and under NO circumstances can I fly one without it. "Oh Im sorry" says I, "We had some friends round. I'll go fix it right away".

Off I trot and switch the flags back and come back to them nazis, who turn round and say "We dont care if you have friends from Swizterland round you cant fly their flag without the Stars and Stripes"....Switzerland? Er its a St Georges Cro.....never mind.

Bastards.

BigDavyG Mar 14th 2006 3:06 pm

Re: The Joy of HOA

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Bastards.

I have a 30ft flagpole in back yard courtesy of the previous owners. Normally I fly a Stars and Stripes and Union Flag from it. All is well. Last night we had a gathering of English friends at our house so, for the evening, we flew the Union Flag and a St Georges Cross.

This morning I have a had a merry half hour with the local nazis - sorry HOA - on my doorstep demanding I dont do that again....if I insist on flying another nation's flag (they tell) me I must have the Stars and Stripes above it and under NO circumstances can I fly one without it. "Oh Im sorry" says I, "We had some friends round. I'll go fix it right away".

Off I trot and switch the flags back and come back to them nazis, who turn round and say "We dont care if you have friends from Swizterland round you cant fly their flag without the Stars and Stripes"....Switzerland? Er its a St Georges Cro.....never mind.

Bastards.

HOA ???

Pimpbot Mar 14th 2006 3:07 pm

**** em! I'm so sick of HOA's. Roll on march 31st when I no longer have to deal with them.

Is there seriously something in the HOA paper work that forbids another flag?

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
HOA ???

Home owners association. AKA local nazis.

Celsius Mar 14th 2006 3:08 pm

HOA ???

You've yet to discover the joys of home ownership I take it?

Celsius Mar 14th 2006 3:10 pm

Bastards.

Bastards.

For the correct manner about how to display/raise/lower, etc. the Stars and Stripes, read this:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30243.pdf

BigDavyG Mar 14th 2006 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
You've yet to discover the joys of home ownership I take it?

Indeedy - the OH takes care of all of that :o

Anyway, back to the matter in hand - I suggest that you play about with the f**kers.
Ask them where it states in their rules that the Stars and Stripes has to be flown with any other flag - if it doesn't them hoist a jolly rodger and tell them to go f**k themselves.

If they continue to complain shoot them in the face.

jibsymalone Mar 14th 2006 3:12 pm

What is soooo offensive about flying another nations flag, your home nation, on your own property? i would love to see someone start a HOA in blighty, not get too far me thinks! Busybodies with nothing better to do. Sad bastards :mad: :mad:

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:14 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
**** em! I'm so sick of HOA's. Roll on march 31st when I no longer have to deal with them.

Is there seriously something in the HOA paper work that forbids another flag?

Yup! They even showed me the covenants (they insisted even though I changed the flags) and there it is Section 1.13.12...

Hiro11 Mar 14th 2006 3:18 pm

I'd hazard a guess that you live in Florida. I'm probably telling you what you already know but Florida HOAs are notriously peopled entirely by bitter, bored and lonely old people who need a better hobby. This is such a cliche that was satirized repeatedly in Seinfeld ("Del Boca Vista Phase II").

Big D Mar 14th 2006 3:18 pm

Fly a nice spring flag instead - mmm - lovely!!

What kind of no-life wankers go around auditing the flags? Just tell them that it isnt a national flag - they wont know any different.

Personally i would leave it and see what they do, i might try out our HOA and see how on their toes they are!

BigDavyG Mar 14th 2006 3:19 pm

Yup! They even showed me the covenants (they insisted even though I changed the flags) and there it is Section 1.13.12...

What a bunch of sad f**kers.
We had problems last year when, with the temps in the 90's we had to get approval for a new a/c until to be fitted which was smaller than the old one :mad:

I don't seem to have a similar problem with my Union Jack mind you

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'd hazard a guess that you live in Florida. I'm probably telling you what you already know but Florida HOAs are notriously peopled entirely by bitter, bored and lonely old people who need a better hobby. This is such a cliche that was satirized repeatedly in Seinfeld ("Del Boca Vista Phase II").

That is such an accurate statement.

BigDavyG Mar 14th 2006 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Big D

What kind of no-life wankers go around auditing the flags? Just tell them that it isnt a national flag - they wont know any different.

I was thinking that myself about telling them it was just a nice design, not a national flag.

How about hoisting a rainbow flag - see how they like them apples :)

BigDavyG Mar 14th 2006 3:22 pm

That is such an accurate statement.

What ages were the people involved ???

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Big D

Personally i would leave it and see what they do, i might try out our HOA and see how on their toes they are!

Just wait till St Georges Day...they wont be able to see my house for St George Crosses. Infact I'm going to paint a ferking big St George Cross on my front lawn.

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:23 pm

What ages were the people involved ???

Shall we say, they were beyond their prime.

jibsymalone Mar 14th 2006 3:24 pm

F**k me, do they come round if you fart too loud too? i am so glad we don't have a HOA on my estate (but must double check with the missus just in case (might have to piss em off intentionally just to see who comes round and wants a piece of me!!! :mad: )) you should just get a stars and bars thats about 6" square, and fly it abouve whatever you want! Anyway didn't you say the pole was in your backyard, as it says something about poles in front yards if i remember right ......

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:26 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
F**k me, do they come round if you fart too loud too? i am so glad we don't have a HOA on my estate (but must double check with the missus just in case (might have to piss em off intentionally just to see who comes round and wants a piece of me!!! :mad: )) you should just get a stars and bars thats about 6" square, and fly it abouve whatever you want! Anyway didn't you say the pole was in your backyard, as it says something about poles in front yards if i remember right ......

They do.

Correct about the pole. The previous owners had to fight a - wait for this - $10,000 dollar law suit against the HOA to keep the pole in the backyard!!!!

This is the (apparently non-offensive) version of my flag pole...

BigDavyG Mar 14th 2006 3:26 pm

you should just get a stars and bars thats about 6" square, and fly it abouve whatever you want!

Ha ha - classic - this has to be done :)

jibsymalone Mar 14th 2006 3:30 pm

Slightly OT i know, but are u on a well for your water AWP? if so do you have the stink water? do u use an aerator or what, need to hook something up, the smell is starting to get to me, managed to get a free aerator but need to know if they work before i shell out for a pump, bladder tank etc?

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:30 pm

Slightly OT i know, but are u on a well for your water AWP? if so do you have the stink water? do u use an aerator or what, need to hook something up, the smell is starting to get to me, managed to get a free aerator but need to know if they work before i shell out for a pump, bladder tank etc?

No we're on city water here.

paul_TX Mar 14th 2006 3:32 pm

If that's "slightly OT", I'd hate to see you go waaaaaay OT :rolleyes:

jibsymalone Mar 14th 2006 3:32 pm

No we're on city water here.

K, cheers anyway, maybe you should fly a Nazi flag, make em feel at home an all! that should get a nice reaction!

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:34 pm

K, cheers anyway, maybe you should fly a Nazi flag, make em feel at home an all! that should get a nice reaction!

HAHAHHA.. I should've tried that when we lived down in Boca...the place was 90% Jewish

Actually the other house we are currently building is on a well...I'll check in with the builders if I remember what they are doing regarding the stinkwater (if anything)

Ray Mar 14th 2006 3:35 pm

This is the (apparently non-offensive) version of my flag pole...

Wow !! you are allowed fences ...

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Wow !! you are allowed fences ...

Well Im not sure...the previous owners put that up. Its 10 foot tall and the only one around for miles. I think they did it to protect the flagpole from unfortunate accidents.

TouristTrap Mar 14th 2006 3:49 pm

There is a reason I don't live in an HOA community. They're ALL nazis.

ladylisa Mar 14th 2006 3:57 pm

I think you should mess with there heads why dont you creep out every hour and swap the flags around, that way just as they are gathering the troops to complain the flags will be back in their right full place. And how about getting a union jack that is bigger than the US flag and occasionally flying that out there and then swapping it back. If they knock on your door you can tell them they need to visit their optician.

mickmills Mar 14th 2006 4:07 pm

Bastards.

Bastards.

Thats crazy. Was planning on flying the st geroge's cross for the world cup, will have to see what happens here in TN

jibsymalone Mar 14th 2006 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by paul_TX
If that's "slightly OT", I'd hate to see you go waaaaaay OT :rolleyes:

I know, but i saw the bit about having to have water softeners etc. hidden and it reminded me! My fingers just started typing, i had no control over them! ala Evil Dead! ;) :D

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I think you should mess with there heads why dont you creep out every hour and swap the flags around, that way just as they are gathering the troops to complain the flags will be back in their right full place. And how about getting a union jack that is bigger than the US flag and occasionally flying that out there and then swapping it back. If they knock on your door you can tell them they need to visit their optician.

Now your onto something here...

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
There is a reason I don't live in an HOA community. They're ALL nazis.

Yes. Our next abode shall not be. Infact right now Im tempted to move into the house we are building to sell...its on acreage and not in an HOA community.

snowbunny Mar 14th 2006 4:20 pm

Are there enough expats to force a petition to amend the bylaws?

What about all those stinkin seasonal flags that people hang up? I didn't read your HOA covenants, are only country flags banned?

I guess things could get interesting if one person starts flying the Israeli flag and another an Arabic country's flag........

BritGuyTN Mar 14th 2006 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by mickmills
Thats crazy. Was planning on flying the st geroge's cross for the world cup, will have to see what happens here in TN

Where in Nashville are you?

I will be able to give you an indication

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Are there enough expats to force a petition to amend the bylaws?

What about all those stinkin seasonal flags that people hang up? I didn't read your HOA covenants, are only country flags banned?

I guess things could get interesting if one person starts flying the Israeli flag and another an Arabic country's flag........

It actually states non-offensive state or national flags. I bet someone would complain that an Arabic flag was offensive.

snowbunny Mar 14th 2006 4:24 pm

It actually states non-offensive state or national flags. I bet someone would complain that an Arabic flag was offensive.

Well Bob's yer patriotic uncle then. The Brits are our allies in the war on terror, even being so kind as to fabricating false evidence so we could go bomb Saddam.

You're lucky -- the list of allies in Iraq is impressively short.

ironporer Mar 14th 2006 4:29 pm

Just wait till St Georges Day...they wont be able to see my house for St George Crosses. Infact I'm going to paint a ferking big St George Cross on my front lawn.

Somehow I'm guessing there will be covenants barring that also. :rolleyes:
Were these HOA rules not made available to you prior to closing, or are they new covenants just voted on?

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 14th 2006 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Somehow I'm guessing there will be covenants barring that also. :rolleyes:
Were these HOA rules not made available to you prior to closing, or are they new covenants just voted on?

A mix of old and new apparently.

Ray Mar 14th 2006 4:43 pm

Although HOAs can be a real pain ...they do serve a good purpose overall
and now Herr Barney and I have an understanding things are much improved...