Reload this Page >

Joining the Police Force

Joining the Police Force

Old Nov 14th 2012, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

WBA05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joining the Police Force

Hi everyone

I've posted an introduction in the welcome inn but will do it quickly here too. My name is Shane, I'm 22 from England. I left high school and did 2 different courses at college, had a 2 or 3 different jobs and I now work in a Call Centre for a Police force here in England. I want to be a Police Officer and have now started thinking about moving to USA for the last 6-12 months. I'm interested in joining the police force in USA and I'm thinking I'd like to move to either Houston, Washington or New York and was wondering if anybody has any advice on how I would do this and advice on about becoming an officer of the law in one of those areas?

Thanks
Shane
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining the Police Force

Originally Posted by WBA05
Hi everyone

I've posted an introduction in the welcome inn but will do it quickly here too. My name is Shane, I'm 22 from England. I left high school and did 2 different courses at college, had a 2 or 3 different jobs and I now work in a Call Centre for a Police force here in England. I want to be a Police Officer and have now started thinking about moving to USA for the last 6-12 months. I'm interested in joining the police force in USA and I'm thinking I'd like to move to either Houston, Washington or New York and was wondering if anybody has any advice on how I would do this and advice on about becoming an officer of the law in one of those areas?

Thanks
Shane
Bad news I'm afraid -- you generally need to be a US citizen to join the police in the USA.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Bad news I'm afraid -- you generally need to be a US citizen to join the police in the USA.
How would I go about doing that?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Give me any yes answers here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I can't decide if those questions are serious or not lol
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:14 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

One quality of a good police officer is the ability to be self reliant, and have investigative skills. All the information you require is readily available in the numerous threads on this very subject in these forums.

You will see upon doing some research that your chances are very slim to none.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 1:38 am
Septicity

That's it. If they're all no, there's no hope of you living and working in the USA under current legislation.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I,, can't decide if those questions are serious or not lol
Emigrating is a serious business, so you'd better believe they're serious. It is very tough to emigrate to the US and several of us developed the Pulaski questions to help the many people who come to this forum looking for an easy way to emigrate to the US. The short answer is that there are no easy ways.

In the absence of any other ways for you, attending a US university to study for a bachelor's degree would at least give you a chance at transitioning into the US workforce, although everything I have read from people who know more than I do about police recruiting say that most police departments hire US citizens, and you usually have to have held a green card for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship ..... and you wouldn't be eligible for a greencard until after you obtain your degree. Allowing time to apply to US colleges, arrange financing, and get a student visa, take the usual minimum 4 years for a degree, and a further 5 years to get citizenship, you are looking at a minimum 10-11 years from now.

The other option you have, if you are single as well as young, is to join an online dating website!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 3:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They are.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2012, 11:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In that case. match.com is probably your best bet, then give it a few years till you become eligible for US citizenship.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:33 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Marry an American bird.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to consider Canada instead of the US. You would be so much better off and I think it is so much easier to emigrate to there.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 7:41 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thanks
Shane
Gaining citizenship allthough a huge huddle is only one of the problems you'd face.Most cities in America are not hiring police officers or fireman at the moment.In fact it's just the opposite many are laying off city government workers and this is especially true in states that have been hit hardest by the economic down turn.Sorry to be the barrier of bad news but even if it was possible to marry an American and have the right to work in the States, you probably would need to wait out the current hiring freeze before being offered a position.Not to mention you might have to retrain here in the States. Your goal is not impossible but it requires a great deal of time, effort and research. The economy has began to turn around but much of the current hiring is in the private sector not so much in city government jobs. I know a young 23 year guy that has graduated from the police academy school and he might have to move out of state because he can't find a job here.He has been looking for over 7 months.In any case good look to you.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought of another route and that is joining the US armed forces. I joined the Air Force 3 months after arriving and it was good for me.

My circumstances are different now, being older, so I would rebel at being shouted out and being given orders
Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:00 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by cheers
I just thought of another route and that is joining the US armed forces. I joined the Air Force 3 months after arriving and it was good for me.

My circumstances are different now, being older, so I would rebel at being shouted out and being given orders
The OP is not qualified to join the military. Generally, you need to be a permanent resident or US citizen to qualify.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.