Reload this Page >

Jobs in the US & Recruitment Agencies

Jobs in the US & Recruitment Agencies

Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

marcus83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in the US & Recruitment Agencies

Hi,

Im still awaiting my I-130 Visa (im a UK citzen) and in the mean time i want to be fully prepared for when it does comes. So i was wonder if anyone knows any good recruitment agencies for Financial Services/Insurance.

Also would anyone know if i was sucessful and had an interview for a Company over in the US would they be willing to do a Telephone interview or would they request i fly over there?

thanks
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in the US & Recruitment Agencies

Originally Posted by marcus83
Hi,

Im still awaiting my I-130 Visa (im a UK citzen) and in the mean time i want to be fully prepared for when it does comes. So i was wonder if anyone knows any good recruitment agencies for Financial Services/Insurance.

Also would anyone know if i was sucessful and had an interview for a Company over in the US would they be willing to do a Telephone interview or would they request i fly over there?

thanks
What State .?? but with millions of unemployed in the US ... dont even count on getting a job ..let alone quickly
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

First bit, plenty of threads to look over.

The second bit, depends entirely on the company and seniority of the position, they ain't going to bother with someone fairly junior but would more likely have the budget to bother with a very senior role...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:41 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

There's a possible situation here in that most of the times I applied for jobs (and that was a lot of occasions in 2008!) one of the questions that had to be answered was whether I was entitled to work in the US. As I understand things the correct answer for the OP will be "No".

That situation wouldn't necessarily apply for letters sent on spec, but if responding to an advert the question is likely to come up.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

I understand about the US Citzen thing (having permission to work in the US) but im only putting out feeders to see what the response would be.

As for Junior Level this would not apply to me, i have been working in the financial industry for over 6 Years and im a Analyst. Im actually seating my PRINCE2 which is a Project manager course in Sept aswell so im qualified to be a Project Manager.

Ideally im looking to work in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Fran, San Deigo & Washington (but to be honest anywhere i could get a job ) so if you know any Recruitment Agencies that would be great?

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally im looking to work in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Fran, San Deigo & Washington (but to be honest anywhere i could get a job ) so if you know any Recruitment Agencies that would be great?

Thanks
Is your wife in steady employment? Wouldn't it be safer to look for work where she is so she can continue to earn while you adapt to a new way of life?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

No, as shes doesnt really like her job or the people around her area, so we both want to start a fresh.

Would you know of any good recruitment agencies?

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Would you know of any good recruitment agencies?

Thanks
Unless you are in a league to be head-hunted, people are prone to not place the words "good" and "recruitment agency" in the same sentence. In this terrible economy, you are better off scanning the help-wanted ads in the main newspaper of the city you are interested in. I'm afraid that, with so many people out of work, your six years experience won't look like much. What degree do you have?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Without too much details about your qualifications, it is difficult to say.

This is what happens in large financial/insurance/consulting verticals that I am familiar with We look to bring folks and send folks from within. Hiring takes place in the country of origin, and training and protocols are taught locally. We do have a couple of internal workshops and training modules for which folks come for a few weeks and at that point we begin to track a potential candidate for re-location.

It is very unlikely that New York would hire a rank outsider from say London, or Zurich, or Mumbai or HongKong. Similarly, when someone is sent out, its with an understanding that it will be for a fixed time frame (Most of the time, its power-struggle and manuvering that makes John Doe move to boondocks )

The desirable places are not London, Brussels; rather the friendly islands which are few hours away (easy weekly commute) from NY/CT/NJ area by plane.

So - Get hired in a NYC or CHI based financial company in London, and await an opportunity to come over as an internal move.

YMMV
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I understand about the US Citzen thing (having permission to work in the US) but im only putting out feeders to see what the response would be.
I'm not sure you do..

You will be a US Permanent Resident, not a citizen. Permanent Resident is the magic phrase that lets an employer know you are totally employment authorized.

You won't actually BE a PR until you arrive with that spousal visa, so be careful how you word it. Do NOT mention 'citizen'.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for Junior Level this would not apply to me, i have been working in the financial industry for over 6 Years and im a Analyst. Im actually seating my PRINCE2 which is a Project manager course in Sept aswell so im qualified to be a Project Manager.
Not exactly senior though either, and Prince2 is dime a dozen, so you'd already be competing with a lot of folks qualified who are already here and wouldn't need to fly in for an interview, so you'd have to offer more to entice them.