Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jacksonville, FL, any advice/help????

Jacksonville, FL, any advice/help????

Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:54 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jacksonville, FL, any advice/help????

Hi I moved to Jacksonville last year, and yet while i am still waiting for my EAD to arrive just wondered if there is anyone here is lives here? i am wondering what the job market is like and what a 'decent' wage around these parts is? Anyone any suggestions for things to do (that i may not have heard about?) also any suggestions on where to get a good deal on a truck when i have started my credit off? any dealers with sympathy to us folk with no or little credit history? also any other hints or tips greatly appreciated! i am sorry if i am repeating a thread or three but still trying to wade through the numerous postings on the site, what a little gold mine this place is!
Thank you in advance for any help offered
Love and bollocks!
Rik
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jacksonville, FL, any advice/help????

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Hi I moved to Jacksonville last year, and yet while i am still waiting for my EAD to arrive just wondered if there is anyone here is lives here? i am wondering what the job market is like and what a 'decent' wage around these parts is? Anyone any suggestions for things to do (that i may not have heard about?) also any suggestions on where to get a good deal on a truck when i have started my credit off? any dealers with sympathy to us folk with no or little credit history? also any other hints or tips greatly appreciated! i am sorry if i am repeating a thread or three but still trying to wade through the numerous postings on the site, what a little gold mine this place is!
Love and bollocks!
Rik
Lady Of The Lake lives somewhere in that area I believe.

Job market and wage depend on your trade really.

Remember one thing about America: Whether its car salespeople or just sales people in general there is only one thing they are sympathetic to...getting you to part with your $$$. Anything they say is baloney. Trust no salesperson. Ever. No matter how nice, smiley and sympathetic they may appear to be.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:57 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Lady Of The Lake lives somewhere in that area I believe.

Job market and wage depend on your trade really.

Remember one thing about America: Whether its car salespeople or just sales people in general there is only one thing they are sympathetic to...getting you to part with your $$$. Anything they say is baloney. Trust no salesperson. Ever. No matter how nice, smiley and sympathetic they may appear to be.
Hello, yup I live a bit south of Jax in St Augustine. Which area are you in?

I would agree with AWP, do not trust any car salespeople. Sure they can do you a deal, even with no credit history, they'll move mountains to get that loan for you, but it's gonna have a huge interest rate attached to it in the small print

Things to do? Well there's the beach, in fact there are a few beaches up and down the first coast. St Augustine is worth a visit, it's a mecca for all the yank tourists. Er, that's pretty much it without driving for hours to go elsewhere.

No idea what the job market is like, as I don't work, all depends on what you want to do aswell.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:17 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake

I would agree with AWP, do not trust any car salespeople. Sure they can do you a deal, even with no credit history, they'll move mountains to get that loan for you, but it's gonna have a huge interest rate attached to it in the small print

Things to do? Well there's the beach, in fact there are a few beaches up and down the first coast. St Augustine is worth a visit, it's a mecca for all the yank tourists. Er, that's pretty much it without driving for hours to go elsewhere.

No idea what the job market is like, as I don't work, all depends on what you want to do aswell.

i live on the north side of jax (just outside) i have been to st. Augustine a few times, my parent are able to use their points on their time share to stay right on the beach. i did the usual tour of the old gaol and wandered round the fort and the craft and 'antiques' in the town centre. it is a nice place and have to admit had a laugh when listening about sir Francis drake the pirate on the trolley bus tour! (they seem to have a huge fascination with pirates there!) and of course all the 'history'! lol
Love and Bollocks!
Rik
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:40 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ladyofthelake]Hello, yup I live a bit south of Jax in St Augustine. Which area are you in?
QUOTE]
Any decent (not expensive) restaurants in st Augustine ? having to go sort green card mess so thought may as well try and enjoy it
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:55 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Jacksonville, FL, any advice/help????

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Love and bollocks!
Rik
It will take ages to read but you will find some great information here:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:14 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bradford Lass]
Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
QUOTE]
Any decent (not expensive) restaurants in st Augustine ? having to go sort green card mess so thought may as well try and enjoy it
Well, apart from the usual stuff like Applebees, Chilies, Longhorn etc, there are a few interesting non franchised restaurants. Just wander around the historic downtown center and you'll find allsorts. There's the Columbia Restaurant for Spanish food, OK it a franchise again, but there's only 7 of them, so it's not quite in the same league as most. There's Harry's Seafood , Mexican, Greek Athena , an English Pub and many more. I'm sure you'll find somewhere worth trying.

Oh, and there's a few more here to choose from.

Last edited by ladyofthelake; Feb 14th 2006 at 12:19 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

The pub (can't remember the name) was nice for a beer but the food was not very tasty. There's a really nice coffee & cake shop on the main tourist backstreet through the town, you can't miss it.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:35 pm
my arm aches

Originally Posted by Lizzi
The pub (can't remember the name) was nice for a beer but the food was not very tasty. There's a really nice coffee & cake shop on the main tourist backstreet through the town, you can't miss it.
Are you talking about the one with the red double decker outside? Yeah, the food there is like canteen crap, but there's a new pub right in the center of St Augustine called the Prince of Wales, which I thought was much better.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:00 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ladyofthelake]
Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

Well, apart from the usual stuff like Applebees, Chilies, Longhorn etc, there are a few interesting non franchised restaurants. Just wander around the historic downtown center and you'll find allsorts. There's the Columbia Restaurant for Spanish food, OK it a franchise again, but there's only 7 of them, so it's not quite in the same league as most. There's Harry's Seafood , Mexican, Greek Athena , an English Pub and many more. I'm sure you'll find somewhere worth trying.

Oh, and there's a few more here to choose from.
Thank you thats really helpful K sent