Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I've never sold a house before... what do I need to ask an estate agent?

I've never sold a house before... what do I need to ask an estate agent?

Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've never sold a house before... what do I need to ask an estate agent?

Originally Posted by Maz
Got your PM, and replied - thank you ever so much!

I know it's a little spartan just like that. I'm going to add some fresh flowers and candles in various spots. Usually up on the dresser I have my jewelry case, but if we're going to have strangers coming to the house, then that's definitely not going to be on view. Thanks Sally.
VERY smart on your part. A friend of mine's credit card was stolen when she left it sitting out during an open house. (Granted, dumb on her part.)
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:00 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've never sold a house before... what do I need to ask an estate agent?

Originally Posted by KJ2007
VERY smart on your part. A friend of mine's credit card was stolen when she left it sitting out during an open house. (Granted, dumb on her part.)
Thank you. Actually we have a small safe, so anything of value (credit cards, passports, jewelry, etc.) is going in there when we know we have a viewing. The laptop is too big to fit in it, so that will come with us. Anything else I should pop in there?...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Thank you. Actually we have a small safe, so anything of value (credit cards, passports, jewelry, etc.) is going in there when we know we have a viewing. The laptop is too big to fit in it, so that will come with us. Anything else I should pop in there?...
Just be careful not to leave out anything which would allow someone to steal your identity (bills, etc.). From your pics you don't seem to leave much clutter out, but keep this in mind before anyone sees your house. I knew a girl whose id was stolen. She was a petite Asian girl and a large, overweight black man tried to pass it off as his own. Not even close!

In my friend's situation it turned out that the person who stole her card frequented open houses looking for this sort of thing - so in general, better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:33 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Just be careful not to leave out anything which would allow someone to steal your identity (bills, etc.). From your pics you don't seem to leave much clutter out, but keep this in mind before anyone sees your house. I knew a girl whose id was stolen. She was a petite Asian girl and a large, overweight black man tried to pass it off as his own. Not even close!

In my friend's situation it turned out that the person who stole her card frequented open houses looking for this sort of thing - so in general, better safe than sorry.
That's pretty scary! Well *cough* let's just say the bedrooms don't usually look like that and I'll take pics of the great room once I have that tidied up.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
That's pretty scary! Well *cough* let's just say the bedrooms don't usually look like that and I'll take pics of the great room once I have that tidied up.
They say you should try to let the viewers imagine themselves in your house, so cosy but not too personal. I put up a thread on here about a house we went to see which was full of creepy life-sized dolls

You could put a cheap, pretty jewellery box on your dressing-table, a couple of books and maybe some cushions on the bed - just enough for the viewers to feel at home. Not that I'm an expert or anything!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
They say you should try to let the viewers imagine themselves in your house, so cosy but not too personal. I put up a thread on here about a house we went to see which was full of creepy life-sized dolls

You could put a cheap, pretty jewellery box on your dressing-table, a couple of books and maybe some cushions on the bed - just enough for the viewers to feel at home. Not that I'm an expert or anything!
But you watch HGTV .....
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
But you watch HGTV .....
Oh I love all that stuff
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:08 am
Maz

Very good idea, thank you!

And to Ray xxx
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:15 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I love all that stuff
That my 3am to 5am viewing some days
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:39 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget and try and have something in the oven for an open house that makes someone feel "homey." Back in 1981 when we were selling our first home to relocate to Germany, interest rates were at 12 percent. We needed all the help we could get. I used to whip up my ex MIL's sour cream coffee cake (had plenty of cinnamon in it) and have it baking-it took 50 minutes.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:35 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Don't forget and try and have something in the oven for an open house that makes someone feel "homey." Back in 1981 when we were selling our first home to relocate to Germany, interest rates were at 12 percent. We needed all the help we could get. I used to whip up my ex MIL's sour cream coffee cake (had plenty of cinnamon in it) and have it baking-it took 50 minutes.
I was going to have a pot of coffee ready and mugs out. I don't bake.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I was going to have a pot of coffee ready and mugs out. I don't bake.
Use candles or oil burners instead...there's a good variety of cookie, gingerbread, cinnamon ones etc in the stores.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:59 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Use candles or oil burners instead...there's a good variety of cookie, gingerbread, cinnamon ones etc in the stores.
Heard somewhere that cinnamon and vanilla in paticular are supposed to be attractive to men?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:18 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Heard somewhere that cinnamon and vanilla in paticular are supposed to be attractive to men?
I prefer the scent of a nice steak...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:56 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I loathe candles usually, except in power cuts (rare), but have been stocking up recently because they're cheap and cheerful. I was going to say "cheap as chips" but held back. Oh wait, no I didn't...

Really? I can see cinnamon, but thought vanilla would be a bit "girly" for most men. But will definitely bear that in mind, thank you.

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I prefer the scent of a nice steak...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.