Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's bugging me

It's bugging me

Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:28 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

The little buggers go after me too, I have also been using Avon Skin-So-Soft to good effect. If I do happen to get bitten, I've found the best thing is to dab the bite with rubbing alcohol as soon as possible. Someone told me last week that eating a lot of garlic keeps them away, but it might just keep everyone else away too!
Attached Thumbnails It's bugging me-mosquito.jpg  
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:39 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly a stupid question. Can you buy Avon in shops or is it only from the ding dong lady?
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:40 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's bugging me

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
If you put your foot over your head and lick your bum, don't forget to wash your paws.

If I could do that...
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:44 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Possibly a stupid question. Can you buy Avon in shops or is it only from the ding dong lady?
I bought mine online!
http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/default.asp - the left-hand menu has it listed under "outdoor protection" and it looks like it's half price at the moment!

Debbie
Old Jun 17th 2004, 3:04 pm
C.G.D.S

Thanks Debbie, I've ordered a load. Top price too.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Debbie, I've ordered a load. Top price too.
Yeah it isn't a bad price is it... Glad you were able to find it, it's amazing stuff.

Where'd Frank go btw?

Elaine
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

BritSteve99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am becoming more and more convinced that the bugs over here target ones like us with 'foreign' blood. My wife doesn't seem to get bitten much, and the bites don't react with her, but with me they turn into horrible sores that take ages to heal.

Steve
Old Jun 17th 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I have to admit that the bugs are one thing I don't miss about NC. Our apartment seemed to be a meeting house for the local centipede population - some of the were pretty big too..

I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, switched the light on and there was one about four inches long in the middle of the bathroom floor....when I went towards it, it reared up and waved its anntenae (and its front twenty legs) in a very agressive way as if to say 'You want some, eh?? Come on then, I'll have ya!!).

Needless to say, one of us had to leave, and it wasn't me....

So far the bug population in WA seems on a pretty UK level...anyone know any different...??
Old Jun 17th 2004, 8:27 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Biting insect regions

CONNECTICUT:Tabanids: Chrysops or deer flies with green or golden eyes very common and of many varieties. Prevalent May to August with June worst. Often fly around the head. Some specialize in sea coast and marshes, others in boggy woods, others dry woods.

Who are they kidding... we've got bloody everything.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 8:30 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Preventative measures click here!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:20 pm
C.G.D.S

Well today I resorted to using a thing called Tri-Wound. I use it on my horse for cuts and grazes. It's yellow and gloopy, stinks to high heave but it seemed to work on me.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:05 pm
Brit'n'TX

does anybody else have a problem with "chiggers" or are they a Texan thing?

Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:14 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
does anybody else have a problem with "chiggers" or are they a Texan thing?
No but I have a real problem with Cheggars. I kill myself. Really I do.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:17 pm
Brit'n'TX

No but I have a real problem with Cheggars. I kill myself. Really I do.
showing your age ...

and mine ...

and what right did he have to Maggie Philbin anyway?

Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's bugging me

The bugs. I can't take anymore of the damned bugs.
I used *everything* when living in Belize (let's talk *bugs*). After watching a drop of Jungle Juice (99% deet) melt a hole in the lino, I had to find a solution. My mom sent me some eucalyptus oil spray and I was cured!

I now make my own mix; essential oil of eucalyptus, couple drops of glycerin and water in a spritz bottle. Everyone's chemistry is different, but this one works for me (skin so soft does work for some bugs, but attracts dirt to stick to your skin). Citronella, for example, doesn't do much for me, but I like to add lavender to the euc. oil spray. I've never found a remedy for the itch, and I've tried everything (ice, amonia, etc etc etc).

Since the female mosquitoes that do the biting are drawn to the scent of your carbon dioxide exhales (hey, that's what I heard), you can always try not breathing

PS: look for Avon in mall kiosks now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.