Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Issues with UK Customs

Issues with UK Customs

Old Dec 14th 2014, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

heresy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Issues with UK Customs

Has anyone ever had problems coming through UK customs with things bought in the US?

For example if I have a new macbook that's unboxed and in a laptop bag would I get hassle for it? I know there are allowances for this and they would just charge VAT but has anyone ever had an issue like this?

I want to get a new laptop but I am only coming to be back in the UK a couple of months so don't want to pay VAT/fees that I don't need to...!

Cheers
Old Dec 14th 2014, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Issues with UK Customs

Aren't you supposed to be honest and declare goods you bought abroad?

Or is it just your regular work computer rather than an item bought specifically for import into the UK?

In any case if it's simply your work machine the issue needn't come up especially if you're leaving again.

(I think)

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 14th 2014 at 11:01 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heresy123
.... I am only coming to be back in the UK a couple of months .....
What does this mean? Are you visiting the UK for a couple of months, or returning to live in the UK in a couple of months?

If you are only visiting, and will be taking the computer back (out of the UK) with you, then you won't have to pay VAT. If you are returning to the UK to live then IIRC anything bought withing 12 months of you arriving is chargeable for VAT. If you bring it in unboxed it is quite possible (I would say highly likely) that nobody will notice, but you run the risk that they do notice.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Aren't you supposed to be honest and declare goods you bought abroad?
You're 'supposed' to keep to speed limits, also. Not everybody does though.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

BerkshireBugsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago I worked for an American company but was based in the UK. For some reason we were issued with US laptops which were noticeable because the currency symbols were in a different location on the keyboard BUT import duty had been paid. So if I took it out of the UK I had to carry a letter which recorded its serial number so that I didn't have to pay import duty when I returned.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You're 'supposed' to keep to speed limits, also. Not everybody does though.
False equivalency.

We tend to advise following the legally proscribed path on these forums regarding matters related to traveling between countries.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:01 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

False equivalency.

We tend to advise following the legally proscribed path on these forums regarding matters related to traveling between countries.
I completely agree on that, and I did think twice before writing what I did fwiw
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I completely agree on that, and I did think twice before writing what I did fwiw
That's very decent of you. Thanks
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the OP is a US student...studying in the UK. In which case she is bringing the computer into the country and will be taking it with her when she returns to the U.S...so she shouldn't have to pay duty.

My daughter studied in Canada...we took all sorts of things across the border. We always declared them but stressed they were for student use and they would be returned to the U.S. when her studies had finished.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 15th 2014 at 5:40 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

False equivalency.

Point of pedantry but "proscribed" == "forbidden". ITYM "prescribed".
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks...these old eyes...typo