Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

iPhone - what sim in USA?

iPhone - what sim in USA?

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone - what sim in USA?

Originally Posted by N-B
Hi everyone.
I've just relocated to Los Angeles from London, and brought my O2-contracted iPhone 4 with me.
My O2 contract is £40/month, and has another eleven months to run. Appears to be iron-clad, and the only way of closing it early is to pay £40x11, and lose almost a year's service.
Most of that £40/month is paying for the phone itself, not the service. When my contract ran out I started paying £10/month for service with O2. With Giffgaff you can pay even less. You might have been able to negotiate a little off the £40x11 but not much. Last time I did that (not an iPhone) we got 1 month knocked off.

Originally Posted by N-B
I don't intend to get an iPhone contract here in the US as they all appear to be 2 years, and the operators want an exorbitant deposit to make up for lack of credit history.
Can I ask what the deposit was? Did you have any history at all like an Amex transfer?

Originally Posted by N-B
To have Skype open on my iPhone all the time would surely eat my 2GB/month data usage in no time, wouldn't it?
No, it only takes a few bytes every few seconds to "keep alive" an "I'm here" message to the Skype service. Once a call comes in, then it's different.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 12:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Can I ask what the deposit was? Did you have any history at all like an Amex transfer?
Depending on the service and rates, deposits can be $50-600
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

My tupporth: I've posted elsewhere about setting up an unlocked UK iPhone to work with AT&T's GoPhone PAYG offering. This costs $2 each day you use it, and then unlimited texts and calls for that day. Data is $25 per 500MB lasting one month which I never exceed in that time. The only thing that doesn't work is voicemail, which isn't a big deal for me but may be an issue for some, and I dare say there is a work-around I've not discovered yet

I have a UK geographical number through Skype which is routed to my US landline phone, and that works well. I think it costs like a couple of cents a minute plus a yearly fee for the UK number. One caveat with Skype: make sure you update your profile to say you're no longer in the EU or you'll get charged 15% VAT on every order!
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM

We are in Southern California with AT&T and we had to pay a $500 deposit per phone even though they were all on the same contract They did give us the $1,500 back after 1 year automatically. We had our SSN number and a Bank of America Visa and American Express but we had no credit since we had just arrived in the US a week previously.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depending on the service and rates, deposits can be $50-600
Originally Posted by Havnfun
We are in Southern California with AT&T and we had to pay a $500 deposit per phone
Thanks - won't be such a shock when we get to the shop then, get it over and done with in private!

I can't be bothered with all this sim clipping and bodging, much rather just slap down a deposit and be done with it. I appreciate not everybody is able to do that.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Flog your i thing and get a Droid Razr when you get here. Nice bit of kit.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Havnfun
We are in Southern California with AT&T and we had to pay a $500 deposit per phone.
Oh eff that noise! For that money I'd get an iPhone 3GS unlocked for $375, brand new and straight from Apple, and don't be bound to a contract either.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Flog your i thing and get a Droid Razr when you get here. Nice bit of kit.
Until the OP travels back home, and finds that they need a rent a phone whilst they're there.