Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking my cats with me on holiday to Houston from Scotland

Taking my cats with me on holiday to Houston from Scotland

Old Dec 27th 2011, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Mareth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my cats with me on holiday to Houston from Scotland

I will be visiting friends in Houston for 8-10wks and want to bring my cats with me from Scotland. Can I do that on a visitors visa?
Old Dec 27th 2011, 6:13 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my cats with me on holiday to Houston from Scotland

I don't know, but the first things that occur to me are:

Your cats are likely to be quarantined (for six months, I think) after their return to the UK. This is because the US has rabies but the UK does not.

Depending on the time of year that you are going, it may be incredibly hot. Some carriers refuse to fly pets to Texas during warmer months.

Immigration officials are likely to raise their eyebrows at someone bringing pets for a visit, as that sort of thing is more often done when someone is moving permanently, or trying to.

Flights are extremely stressful to many cats.

It might be kindest to board your cats at a reputable cattery during your absence.

Edited to add - I see from your post history that a few months ago you were looking at moving to Houston. Has that fallen through? If you are still planning to move in 2012 and will be taking the cats with you again then, I would advise against bringing them on this 'visit' - three flights is much more stressful than one. We moved our cat over in 2009 but I would not have put him through that just for a vacation.

Last edited by avanutria; Dec 27th 2011 at 6:16 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 6:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mareth
I will be visiting friends in Houston for 8-10wks and want to bring my cats with me from Scotland. Can I do that on a visitors visa?
Your chances of being refused entry will go up a hundred fold.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Mareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously not one of my better ideas!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:04 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame. The cats would have loved Houston. Top place.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to put your cats through all the stress and trauma of flying across the Atlantic for a stay of 8 to 10 weeks and then flying them back again?

Most stupid idea I have heard in a long time.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:48 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't do it. For the cost of transporting the cats via air, you could house them safely in a cattery in the UK.

We flew our cat from the UK to Minnesota for a permanent move, it took weeks before she was recovered from the ordeal.

It's sheer cruelty to move them around like that purely for your convenience. Not to mention it will look super suspicious to the immigration officer!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Your chances of being refused entry will go up a hundred fold.
+1.

See what US immigration thought about this British visitor's attempt to bring her cat (as well as massive amounts of luggage):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iap04...eature=related
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deng890
+1.

See what US immigration thought about this British visitor's attempt to bring her cat (as well as massive amounts of luggage):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iap04...eature=related
Very good video - so good that I think it should probably be compulsory viewing for people who think that they want to take a 6 month holiday in the US ...