Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Originally Posted by worldtrekker
... could you spend a bit of time over there within the 3-month tourist visa, checking things out for yourself (perhaps in the summer vacation with your daughter, if you were able to sort her visa)?
I believe she and her daughter can both travel on the VWP, for a 90-day visit to the USA. No visa required.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
Just pitching in my humble opinion since moving to the US 2 years ago (L1A visa, intra company transfer), my company relocated me, my husband and household, pets etc first to Fort Worth in Texas. The southerners are known for their warmth and hospitality and we did find it relatively easy to make friends BUT this was not the neighbours but the fact we went to a local bar regularly and there was a Brit contingent already there! We made some friends with Americans too and people were very friendly on the surface but no more so than going to a friendly country pub in many parts of the UK. I also made friends at work but for you working on your own and probably not being so freely able to go out in the evenings with your child care requirements etc I am not sure how you would go about making "bosom pals" rather than friendly acquaintances.

We then were moved again 14 months later to southern California and the folks here we have met have been friendly but again not so much neighbours but going to a local bar, joining the clubhouse at our HOA, putting ourselves "out there". People are welcoming, friendly on a fairly superficial level for the most part with few "real" friends so far. I am not convinced you will find things much different in terms of the ability to make friends here than it would be in various parts of the UK. Not trying to be a damper just giving our own realistic view from the past 2 years. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Thank you for providing your personal experiences - a very helpful post
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worldtrekker
Hi Libby,

Going back to your initial question about friendly places to move to in the States, a good way to connect socially is often through existing family or friends. Do you know anyone in the States and, if you do, could you spend a bit of time over there within the 3-month tourist visa, checking things out for yourself (perhaps in the summer vacation with your daughter, if you were able to sort her visa)? It might help you find some answers and, as some of the other respondents have said and I’m sure you already know, living in a place is very different to being there on vacation.

Visiting for a bit longer might help you judge better whether you’d like it long term. And who knows, if you’re *really* lucky or have some in-demand skills, you might even meet someone through contacts who offers you a job, though of course they’d also have to be willing to sort out an employment visa for you. (This used to mean they also have to prove that they’ve tried and failed to recruit a US citizen for the position, though I’m not sure what the current situation is).

Another option, if you’re willing to travel and have particular skills, might be the British Foreign Office; see what that might involve at https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ut/recruitment (I’m not sure whether that would work with your daughter).

There’s also a good website that focuses on US immigration that you might find useful at http://www.immihelp.com/.

Myself, I’m a dual citizen and have lived for several years in the UK and the States, as well as many other continents and countries. As a character, I’m very friendly and used to bonding quickly with all sorts of people; however, it still took me many years to make real friends in Boston MA, and easily as much time as in the UK – it’s not called New England for nothing! And as in any place, all too often the people who were quickest to be friendly ended up being either insincere or the people I ended up wanting to get away from fastest!

It sounds like you’ve been through a pretty rough time with your marriage and might be quite vulnerable just now. I don’t mean to patronise you there; as you’ve pointed out, these are just your initial investigations and you’re being careful to research as much as you can.

I haven’t been to Kentucky but I do have US friends who’ve lived and worked there, recently and for years, who say the people are really genuine and friendly. It’s a relatively poor state, but that means it’s also pretty cheap to live.

Apologies for such a long posting, but I hope some of what I’ve said here is useful. And best of luck, whatever you decide.
Hi Worldtrekker,

Yes, I'm hoping to visit in the summer (if I dare set aside the money needed), although am concerned about entering the US with just myself and my daughter, as I've heard horror stories re being turned away due to no permission from absent parent, even though we'll be there fully legally.

I intend to take my resident order with me as this by law allows me to take her abroad for up to one month, without permission. But it seems immigration may turn me away, despite this

Thank you for the links, I will look into these.

Quite agree with you re the people who are quickest to be friendly...

Yes, the last few years of my life have been extremely difficult from so many angles and I'm attempting to keep my head above water and do the very best possible for my daughter's future. It's been very draining and deeply painful. I'm definitely not as strong as I used to be and tears are always closer than they used to be.

I'm not certain whether a poor state would mean less safety (as with UK) but safety is a paramount point as I will be alone with a young daughter. So I must look into the different states and statistics etc.

Thank you for a kind and informative post
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe she and her daughter can both travel on the VWP, for a 90-day visit to the USA. No visa required.

Rene
Yes, I've looked into this but believe I'm unable to take her for more tha one month, without consent which I cannot get due to his disappearing... even then immigration may stop me.

Don't necessarily want to go into politics but it is rather awful that someone who disappears (in order to avoid maintenance) and knows nothing of his child can still have such power over her and the parent who does care and works very hard, daily, to provide the best life possible for her.

Family law desparately requires a serious overhawl.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

worldtrekker is an unknown quantity at this point

The very best resource to use in finding out about different places in the States is the website usa.com. You just put in placenames, to get hugely detailed information about crime rates, schooling, populations etc.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
It's not really a case of having an issue with the entire UK re making friends at all, more the knoweldge that there are significant cultural differences in different areas of the world.

The Brits are great people, but culturally keep themselves to themselves. Friends exist but it is superficial and there is certainly no obvious culture of warm communities.
I would suggest making a list of what you want/need out of a place to live and then travel the UK (or even the rest of Europe) to find a more suitable place to live with your child.
Your complaint about friends being superficial is one I hear over and over about the US, so chances are that will not change. If friends don't come easy to you, then that is probably you that needs to change not the location, if you have problems with that in UK chances are you will here too. Only to add to it, here you would be the foreigner/immigrant. I've lived in the same community here for 20 years and I'm still "that Mom with the accent", at the local school, I have a lots of nice friends, and only two that I would call at 2am in an emergency even then I'd hesitate, and I make friends very easily in UK.
Not trying to be mean, just trying to be realistic.
This is no place to be alone with a child.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I would suggest making a list of what you want/need out of a place to live and then travel the UK (or even the rest of Europe) to find a more suitable place to live with your child.
Your complaint about friends being superficial is one I hear over and over about the US, so chances are that will not change. If friends don't come easy to you, then that is probably you that needs to change not the location, if you have problems with that in UK chances are you will here too. Only to add to it, here you would be the foreigner/immigrant. I've lived in the same community here for 20 years and I'm still "that Mom with the accent", at the local school, I have a lots of nice friends, and only two that I would call at 2am in an emergency even then I'd hesitate, and I make friends very easily in UK.
Not trying to be mean, just trying to be realistic.
This is no place to be alone with a child.
It's often been said on the forums and is well worth bearing in mind when thinking of moving to a new country:

Same sh*t...different bucket.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not what the OP wants to hear, but plying her with advice on where to live in the USA is not good for her since she has still written nothing that makes any rational person who understands US immigration believe she has a hope in hell of living and working in the USA at this time.

Makes about as much sense as searching the web for your next pad in Beverly Hills. If you're doing it for fantasy's sake, all well and good. If you're serious about it but have no prospect of a million dollar income, you have serious issues.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I know it's not what the OP wants to hear, but plying her with advice on where to live in the USA is not good for her since she has still written nothing that makes any rational person who understands US immigration believe she has a hope in hell of living and working in the USA at this time.

Makes about as much sense as searching the web for your next pad in Beverly Hills. If you're doing it for fantasy's sake, all well and good. If you're serious about it but have no prospect of a million dollar income, you have serious issues.
Difficult isn't it? You don't want to crush someone's hopes and dreams...but you don't want to lead them on either.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Difficult isn't it? You don't want to crush someone's hopes and dreams...but you don't want to lead them on either.
Yep -- it's difficult. I hate those threads that start asking where to move the family to in the USA, and then 20 pages later we discover Kevin is a Corgi gas fitter from Nuneaton and Deidre is a receptionist at the local docs.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Things like this don't help:

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...-quality-life/
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep -- it's difficult. I hate those threads that start asking where to move the family to in the USA, and then 20 pages later we discover Kevin is a Corgi gas fitter from Nuneaton and Deidre is a receptionist at the local docs.
and we seem to be getting more and more of them.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:59 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yep -- garbage. But it buys Sue's new dresses.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You know it's garbage when you see Hawaii at number two in that list.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

That is hilarious but in fairness to Kevin and Deirdre, I was surprised just how difficult it is to get a visa to work/live in the USA. It wasn't something I had ever given much thought to until my company asked if I would like to relocate to one of the US offices for a few years and here's a pile of forms 3' high you need to fill in... Joe Average really just doesn't realize the requirements and all the variations on a theme to get an appropriate visa.

For us, being here has been good for the most part but those early days of having to set things up from scratch with no SSN, no ID in the form of a driver's license and no permanent address for a couple of months, deposits for absolutely everything due to lack of credit history, antiquated banking systems and coping with everyone commenting on the accent including having to repeat yourself several times in restaurants to servers who don't understand the British accent (Queen's English not a broad regional accent) and so ordering water, tomatoes etc takes three attempts.... was frustrating at times. In the end, having finally settled in, I have often said to my husband that our lives really haven't changed much at all day-to-day, just our geography has changed with some frustrations thrown in for good measure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.