British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Investment and new life move from UK to US. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/investment-new-life-move-uk-us-785312/)

Libby75 Jan 27th 2013 6:07 pm

Investment and new life move from UK to US.

I've been reading this forum for some weeks and have found it to be a great source of information, so now I'm ready to post a few questions, specific to my situation, if I may:

Since my Mother's passing some years ago and a very difficult divorce (losing most friends and causing great detriment), my family and previous life has fully disintegrated and it is now only myself and my young daughter (primary school age).

I feel a deep sense of loss and, at times, loneliness am seeking "a fresh start" and a hope of a new life that will help me to feel better.

If we do move to the US, it is therefore essential that we move to a very friendly, welcoming area, where community, good neighbours and friends are part of the culture - something I have sadly not found to be the case in the UK. I noted from another post that Kentucky was recommended, in these terms.

Any other states/areas?

We are not tied to any specific place. Which brings me to my next question:

I have read up on the main routes to immigration and, it would seem, the only one that may apply to me is investment.

Leaving some money for some years' rent and living costs, I will have approximately $70,000-$90,000 to invest. Don't know if this is enough,as there are confliciting thoughts.

My deep wish is to work in property - buy-refurbish-sell or, if more appropriate to the economic climate, buy-to-let.

Some say this is a perfect time to invest in property, others that it is a great risk. I am willing to give it a try, for my daughter's future.

I would be grateful for your views and experiences and some kind and helpful advice.

Finally, I have been to the US many times and hope to visit a few more times, before making any form of final decision.

This is just some very early research/investigation.

Thank you.

Noorah101 Jan 27th 2013 6:11 pm

Re: Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Something else to keep in mind is that you will need written permission from the child's father, or a court order, allowing you to take your daughter to live in the USA.

If you had a difficult divorce, this might be difficult to obtain. But you will need it.

Rene

fatbrit Jan 27th 2013 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Libby75 (Post 10508712)
I've been reading this forum for some weeks and have found it to be a great source of information, so now I'm ready to post a few questions, specific to my situation, if I may:

Since my Mother's passing some years ago and a very difficult divorce (losing most friends and causing great detriment), my family and previous life has fully disintegrated and it is now only myself and my young daughter (primary school age).

I feel a deep sense of loss and, at times, loneliness am seeking "a fresh start" and a hope of a new life that will help me to feel better.

If we do move to the US, it is therefore essential that we move to a very friendly, welcoming area, where community, good neighbours and friends are part of the culture - something I have sadly not found to be the case in the UK. I noted from another post that Kentucky was recommended, in these terms.

Any other states/areas?

We are not tied to any specific place. Which brings me to my next question:

I have read up on the main routes to immigration and, it would seem, the only one that may apply to me is investment.

Leaving some money for some years' rent and living costs, I will have approximately $70,000-$90,000 to invest. Don't know if this is enough,as there are confliciting thoughts.

My deep wish is to work in property - buy-refurbish-sell or, if more appropriate to the economic climate, buy-to-let.

Some say this is a perfect time to invest in property, others that it is a great risk. I am willing to give it a try, for my daughter's future.

I would be grateful for your views and experiences and some kind and helpful advice.

Finally, I have been to the US many times and hope to visit a few more times, before making any form of final decision.

This is just some very early research/investigation.

Thank you.

You've written nothing yet to suggest you would have the opportunity to live and work in the US.

Duncan Roberts Jan 27th 2013 6:18 pm

If you are going for investment then I belive the minimum is $500,000. If you mean you want to buy and run a business then the amount needed is less but I think its a terrible visa if you have young kids since it is short term and needs to be renewed. That renewal is not a given so you could end up having to leave the country very quickly and starting all over again in the UK.

Sally Redux Jan 27th 2013 6:41 pm

I'm not trying to be flippant, but this is the kind of fresh start made popular by Eastenders.

It would be much more difficult in real life, and I would strongly suggest trying a new area of the UK instead.

Libby75 Jan 27th 2013 6:44 pm

True Rene, although sadly my ex disappeared over two years ago and we have no idea where he is.

Hence, as we have no means of requesting his permission, I am willing to take the chance and go where we wish.

Someone who has voluntarily taken himself out of the picture should not dictate our best possibilities of seeking happiness and success.

Should this become an issue in due course (although I do not foresee this) and he decides to take action, I can only hope that I will have a good case.

But, again, these are just cautious investigations, very far from an actual move.

Libby75 Jan 27th 2013 6:51 pm

Yes, Duncan, I've got the same impression from various posts, but there seems no other route open to me (I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong though!). There are also conflicting replies re the length of time given by such a visa - some say two years, others 3-5 years.

That would give us enough time to work out if we wish to remain and also build up the business in the hope that this will give a better chance of renewal.

my questions:

1) Some say one would need to have a physical office - is this correct? I wouldn't need this for property investment purposes.

2) Would property development be the type of business that may provide a working visa into the US? Or is this not of interest to the US economy?

Sally Redux Jan 27th 2013 6:56 pm

I don't know about other areas, but around here, doing up properties is often the domain of the wives of rich men, who want something fun to do. This would make it harder for someone trying to make a living out of it.

Libby75 Jan 27th 2013 7:04 pm

Good to know info like this, Sally. Luckily we're not tied to any area and, hopefully, I wouldn't be competing in the rich man's bracket.

Although the weather in LA is certainly attractive to us sun starved brits!

Sally Redux Jan 27th 2013 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Libby75 (Post 10508802)
Good to know info like this, Sally. Luckily we're not tied to any area and, hopefully, I wouldn't be competing in the rich man's bracket.

Although the weather in LA is certainly attractive to us sun starved brits!

Yes but they do up all sorts of properties.

I wish you well but I really hope you aren't setting your sights on something that doesn't really exist. Sun is nice but it can be a very tough life here with no safety net.

Please look into this all very carefully.

Ray Jan 27th 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10508724)
You've written nothing yet to suggest you would have the opportunity to live and work in the US.

I concur ..

You may not worry about getting your husband permission then you need A court permission ..the immigration will not let you in without it they dont know she has not been kidnapped by you..

You funds are totally insufficient

move to Surrey

Libby75 Jan 27th 2013 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10508806)
Yes but they do up all sorts of properties.

I wish you well but I really hope you aren't setting your sights on something that doesn't really exist. Sun is nice but it can be a very tough life here with no safety net.

Please look into this all very carefully.

Yes, have been and will be researching everything very thoroughly. This board is great as it provides true experiences, so hoping for some useful responses to my specific situation.

Libby75 Jan 27th 2013 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 10508818)

You may not worry about getting your husband permission then you need A court permission ..the immigration will not let you in without it they dont know she has not been kidnapped by you..

Could someone please confirm if the above quote is true or if there are other options? If someone has deliberately disappeared (hence not contactable), I imagine there must be a way to confirm this to immigration?

Duncan Roberts Jan 27th 2013 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Libby75 (Post 10508824)
Could someone please confirm if the above quote is true or if there are other options? If someone has deliberately disappeared (hence not contactable), I imagine there must be a way to confirm this to immigration?

That would be the court order. The US, and I would imagine every other country, won't grant a visa for a child if both parents aren't immigrating with them without either a legal document from the other parent confirming that it's OK or a court document saying basically the same thing. Unfortunate for you it sounds like the court is the only way to go which will mean a lawyer and a cost. It shouldn't be a massive amount but it will be significant. There are no other options as far as I know.

fatbrit Jan 27th 2013 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 10508843)
That would be the court order. The US, and I would imagine every other country, won't grant a visa for a child if both parents aren't immigrating with them without either a legal document from the other parent confirming that it's OK or a court document saying basically the same thing. Unfortunate for you it sounds like the court is the only way to go which will mean a lawyer and a cost. It shouldn't be a massive amount but it will be significant. There are no other options as far as I know.

It's moot anyway.

-- E2 with $70k down!
-- E2 for house flipping!
-- E2 with child!