Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intimidated by British Passport Renewal

Intimidated by British Passport Renewal

Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

sissy_sue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intimidated by British Passport Renewal

Hi! I'm an American who is trying to renew my husband's British passport, and I am finding the whole process intimidating. I have a whole slew of questions:

My husband was born in the UK of British parents and is 63 years old. Do we need to complete Section 1b?

Are my brother and I valid names for Section 6, Emergency Contact Details?

In Section 8 Undertakings, I assume they mean that the applicant hasn't submitted another application for a BRITISH passport?

What is a valid certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode?

My husband has renewed his passport more than once in the UK, and his appearance hasn't changed since he last renewed. Is a Countersignature necessary?

If the passport is sent via courier and you have to sign for it, how will we know when to stay at home and wait for it? I assume they don't expect you to wait at home from the minute you send the application out.

Is sending the application via courier necessary, or can you send it via USPS?

I'd appreciate any light you can shine on this obscure process! Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intimidated by British Passport Renewal

Originally Posted by sissy_sue
Hi! I'm an American who is trying to renew my husband's British passport, and I am finding the whole process intimidating. I have a whole slew of questions:

My husband was born in the UK of British parents and is 63 years old. Do we need to complete Section 1b?

Are my brother and I valid names for Section 6, Emergency Contact Details?

In Section 8 Undertakings, I assume they mean that the applicant hasn't submitted another application for a BRITISH passport?

What is a valid certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode?

My husband has renewed his passport more than once in the UK, and his appearance hasn't changed since he last renewed. Is a Countersignature necessary?

If the passport is sent via courier and you have to sign for it, how will we know when to stay at home and wait for it? I assume they don't expect you to wait at home from the minute you send the application out.

Is sending the application via courier necessary, or can you send it via USPS?

I'd appreciate any light you can shine on this obscure process! Thanks in advance!
Someone may be along to correct any errors I may put here.

Regarding section 1b: This section will not apply as he is not a naturalized Brit. Ignore this section.

Emergency Contacts: You can put whoever you want as emergency contacts. I put my mother (in the UK) and my husband (who lives in the US)

Section 8: Is verifying you are entitled to a British Passport. Must be signed.

Right of Abode does not apply if you are a citizen by birth. So you do not need to worry about having a certificate. He does not need one.

Countersignatory: If your appearance has not changed you do not need a countersignatory. I did not get one for mine but as my husband is now bald he did. (He had a full head of hair in his last passport pic.)

I assume he has a current UK passport that either has expired or is about to expire. It's been over a year since I renewed my passport but as a Brit who was born in Britain and had a British passport a lot of the form did not apply to me. You must put the old passport number on the application and enclose it with the application, if not able to you have to give an explanation. The passport office verify a lot of info from previous passport applications.

You can send it however you want but I sent my by USPS with a signature requested on delivery. The new passport and old passport can only be returned by courier as it comes via DHL from the UK. You will get an email saying it is on it's way. Just like if you were getting a package from anyone else if you are not home they will leave notification they tried to deliver and you contact them to rearrange.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 6:14 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sissy_sue
I have renewed 2 passports in the last year which, under the guidance notes, did not need countersigning. One was processed quite happily, the other was returned as missing a countersignature.

If I had to judge things, I'd say the change in appearance for the application that went through quite happily was greater than the change in the one that was returned.

Clearly the guidance notes are for the public and not for those doing the processing. I would suggest getting things countersigned, even if the guidance notes say it is not necessary - it saves potential grief.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice

My brother in law just did his, it will arrive by DHL if your not in leave a note telling them where to leave it.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 1:12 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We sent my daughter's application by USPS - no problems.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

sissy_sue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. I appreciate the speedy responses to my question. You people are great!