Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US financial obligations upon returning to the UK

US financial obligations upon returning to the UK

Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice
Default US financial obligations upon returning to the UK

Hello

Does anyone here have any insights on what happens when I return back to the UK with regards to:

1. I am going to be cutting my 12 month lease agreement short on my apartment by 10 months. If the property management company starts legal proceedings, which they probably will, what are the chances they will find me in the UK and pursue the debt once I have left the country? I have the option to buy out of my lease at the cost of around $3K but am reluctant to pay it if it's not necessary.

2. ATT: my hubby who is on my plan, took my upgrade to get a new phone. I since found out that this then made me liable and it's now me that's tied into the contract. I'm happy to pay my last monthly bill but not the extra $400 or so to release me from the contract. Plus his new iPhone will be locked. Will they hunt me down and create problems for me in the UK?

- I already know my UK credit score will be non-existent because I've been away for so long, but will it make it worse, i.e. will bad debt follow me from the US into the UK and more importantly will I have people knocking on my door in the UK, chasing me for a $3400 debt?

3. My taxes for this year. I will consult my CPA about this, but I haven't had a tax liability for a couple of years as I've had no income, but I read somewhere that you can't leave the country until you have IRS approval. I know they can't stop you, but did anyone leave and not get prior approval and if so, was there any fall out or penalty?

Of course I am not asking for you suggest I do anything illegal, although some would argue that I'm already up to my neck, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US financial obligations upon returning to the UK

Originally Posted by Bitzi
Hello

Does anyone here have any insights on what happens when I return back to the UK with regards to:

1. I am going to be cutting my 12 month lease agreement short on my apartment by 10 months. If the property management company starts legal proceedings, which they probably will, what are the chances they will find me in the UK and pursue the debt once I have left the country? I have the option to buy out of my lease at the cost of around $3K but am reluctant to pay it if it's not necessary.

2. ATT: my hubby who is on my plan, took my upgrade to get a new phone. I since found out that this then made me liable and it's now me that's tied into the contract. I'm happy to pay my last monthly bill but not the extra $400 or so to release me from the contract. Plus his new iPhone will be locked. Will they hunt me down and create problems for me in the UK?

- I already know my UK credit score will be non-existent because I've been away for so long, but will it make it worse, i.e. will bad debt follow me from the US into the UK and more importantly will I have people knocking on my door in the UK, chasing me for a $3400 debt?

3. My taxes for this year. I will consult my CPA about this, but I haven't had a tax liability for a couple of years as I've had no income, but I read somewhere that you can't leave the country until you have IRS approval. I know they can't stop you, but did anyone leave and not get prior approval and if so, was there any fall out or penalty?

Of course I am not asking for you suggest I do anything illegal, although some would argue that I'm already up to my neck, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Are you US citizen or Green card holder?

#3 approval by IRS to leave USA ? no, as USC I never did that and never heard there was a need. I just advised them of my new UK address once I was in it. That's it. As USC with income I just then kept filing my annual return.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

Neither. E2 visa.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bitzi
Neither. E2 visa.
I don't know implications of that.
How about you just call IRS and ask your questions.