Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Internet phone service - any experience?

Internet phone service - any experience?

Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet phone service - any experience?

Anyone here use an internet phone service like Vonage (USA-based)? I've been reading up on it and it looks too good to be true.

If you have broadband cable internet or DSL you can use your internet connection to make calls using a regular phone. Three levels of service from $15 to $35 and international calls are pretty cheap (UK 5c or 18c to call a mobile). You can use the phone and internet at the same time. All the usual "extra" services like call waiting, caller ID, etc., are included.

As I already pay $40 per month for cable I was thinking of trying the basic plan ($15) that gives you 500 minutes of call time anywhere in the States per month. More bang for my buck re: cable internet bill, I figure.

My local phone bill (Sprint) costs me about $30 per month, just for local calls (LD is extra). This is a basic no-firlls service, no fancy stuff, no LD calling plans, etc. I really only use the phone for basic purposes, and it ticks me off that I am paying $30 per month for a glorified paper weight (I use AT & T phone careds to call the UK).

See http://www.vonage.com/ for details.

BTW this is NOT an advert - I am interested if anyone has tried this before I take the plunge, and whether you have had good or bad experiences.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

VoIP is pretty much the future of telephony, as it is far more efficient and the phone companies have far less equipment to maintain, which is why companies like Vonage can pass the savings on to you.

You may occasionally get problems with internet congestion, but not bad given the cost.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Things you need to remember are that if you move to Vonage completely that if your internet connection goes down you lose all service which means unless you have a cell phone you will not have access to 911 which could be a BIG problem in an emergency.

The other thing to look into is that if you use Dish Network or DirecTV the data they pass cannot be sent across VOIP YET, there are workarounds but not all that great.

If you do go this route wire the Vonage line (ATA) into the main phone box on your house so it is piped to all outlets instead of the regular install way of using one point of connect.

If you need any other info let me know

WC
IT & VOIP consultant