Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Being in the Loop"

"Being in the Loop"

Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default "Being in the Loop"

I was just wondering how many ex-pats have suffered from same thing or feel the same way as I do.
Before I came here, I was very much "in the loop".
Loads of contacts, friends, family, knew where and how to "get things done" and in general, knew the system.
I was never out of work and knew that if I ever was, there were doors I could open, so to speak.
I suspect, like me, there are many that when we arrived here, the only contacts we had were friends and relatives of our spouse.
Most people love us and I wish I had a $1 for every time someone said "I love your accent"...however
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it's the path I chose, and although I expected to "conquer the earth" when I got here, it hasn't happened, yet !
The work situation has been discussed on here many times and a lot depends on each individual and very much upon where in this vast country we settle.

One of things I've started to make a conscious effort at recently is Networking.
I took a part time job at a local theater (I was even honest with the Committee when they interviwed me, as to my main motivation) and this has lead to all sorts of possibilites regarding jobs, dinner and party invitations, a posssible reduced rate car loan (yes you heard correctly, one of the committee is on the board of a local bank) and generally more acceptance in the local community. (as far as I know I'm the only English person for many miles around) and have even been asked to get involved in other projects (albeit on a voluntary basis !!!!)
I guess my point is that by trying to be a bit more pro-active it can have it's rewards, and open doors that could lead to ......who knows ?
I'm sure many of us get a bit down in the dumps, homesick, bored etc from time to time, however for those that do suffer from it, volunteer work may be an option, to "get back into the loop" of somekind.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I could have explained how I felt any better Roger.

nail and head come to mind.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Being in the Loop"

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
I was just wondering how many ex-pats have suffered from same thing or feel the same way as I do.
Loads of contacts, friends, family, knew where and how to "get things done" and in general, knew the system.
I was never out of work and knew that if I ever was, there were doors I could open, so to speak.
I suspect, like me, there are many that when we arrived here, the only contacts we had were friends and relatives of our spouse.
Most people love us and I wish I had a $1 for every time someone said "I love your accent"...however
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it's the path I chose, and although I expected to "conquer the earth" when I got here, it hasn't happened, yet !
The work situation has been discussed on here many times and a lot depends on each individual and very much upon where in this vast country we settle.

One of things I've started to make a conscious effort at recently is Networking.
I took a part time job at a local theater (I was even honest with the Committee when they interviwed me, as to my main motivation) and this has lead to all sorts of possibilites regarding jobs, dinner and party invitations, a posssible reduced rate car loan (yes you heard correctly, one of the committee is on the board of a local bank) and generally more acceptance in the local community. (as far as I know I'm the only English person for many miles around) and have even been asked to get involved in other projects (albeit on a voluntary basis !!!!)
I guess my point is that by trying to be a bit more pro-active it can have it's rewards, and open doors that could lead to ......who knows ?
I'm sure many of us get a bit down in the dumps, homesick, bored etc from time to time, however for those that do suffer from it, volunteer work may be an option, to "get back into the loop" of somekind.
In the UK we might get into a loop but in the US it's more like getting into a "spider's web" of networking and contacts.

As I've mentioned, knowing people through church is quite the norm. This is probably the right cup of tea for most Brits (it isn't for me) but as long as we (Brits) recognize that things are done differently in the US, we should be able to get along.

Roger- have you thought about networking via British expat groups like meetup.com or any expat Yahoo groups in your area?
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Being in the Loop"

Originally posted by rogerpenycate

Absolutely right. I have found after my many years in this country it is not what you know (trust me I know a lot of dim people with very good jobs), but who you know. Networking is the best way to go, even as you said if it is thru volunteering. You have to get out there and make yourself known to as many people as you can. Also do not be afraid to say you are looking for work when you meet these people, very often they may surprise you.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default NC

NC
Thanks for the ideas.
Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with my lot at the moment, it was that side of it that was bothering me, but having taken the necessary steps I thought I'd see what other people felt.
As for networking at Church, sorry, not my cup of tea either, although I do enjoy a good gospel choir, but not enough to get me into one of the numerous Baptist churches in my area.
I find it strange that the parents are in church whilst their kids are in crack-alley (around the corner from me) dealing in all sorts of nose sniffing stuff.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

I work on Capitol Hill in DC, so networking is an essential part of daily life. I think it is a bit cynical, but around here they like to say "there are no permanent friends and no permanent enemies, only pemanent interests".

Fortunately, networking is very much part of the fabric of the city, so it does not take long to to get involved in the game (in DC, that means a lot of free lunches and dinners). I have noticed that people in DC speaks with so many others over the course of a week that they never say "Nice to meet you" but rather "Good to see you" because they are never actually sure if they have met you before or not. It all sounds so superficial, but honestly, it is interesting theatre and it has presented me with far more opportunites than I would have ever had in Cornwall.

I have found networking in the US not too difficult because Americans are easy to talk to. Sure they sometimes ask seemingly dumb questions, initially seem rather intrusive, and volunteer information that is perhapas a bit boastful, but they are quite open and friendly. And bloody hell, how they love to talk.