Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International Autosource / Enterprise

International Autosource / Enterprise

Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Maruchino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Autosource / Enterprise

I've recently moved to the US and one of my biggest headaches at the moment is a car.

Used cars are significantly more in the US than the UK, whilst new cars are cheaper... go figure. For example, my car in the UK that I sold is worth more than double here in the US!

I didn't take Intl Autosource up on the option of getting a car arranged before I moved to the US, but they have a 'new' program that allows you to take advantage of the deals even once you hit US soil.

In actual fact they put you in contact with Enterprise.

I have been given an estimate on the basic model Ford Fusion ($20k @ 5.5%) of an open ended lease (where you have some equity at the end) for $550-600/month + $40/month admin fees. Plus a $3-4k down payment. Over 24 months.

I appreciate the differences between closed and open ended leases so I knew there would be a bump up in price, but this still seems ridiculously high.

I have read on this board of people getting Intl Autosource cars worth more than $20k for around 250-300/month all in with a lower down payment (appreciating they did a closed lease).

I am looking for opinions and options as I am pulling my hair out here.

Is it worth visiting all of the local dealers here to try and get credit straight from the dealer? Or am I wasting my time do you think?

I'm based in Atlanta

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 15th 2013, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Autosource / Enterprise

Buy a banger.

Put down as much deposit as you can and the loan will build up decent credit history and get better car in a couple years.

Will save a fortune on insurance too.

Unless you are sure you are going to be leaving in 2 years, a lease is nearly always not a cheaper option.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Autosource / Enterprise

I'd try two or three dealers and see what they might do, if none of them will talk to you, you're probably wasting your time, but you might be asked for a larger deposit, or get a better rate if you do. Some have reported good success with Volkswagen, which is desperate to build market share. Try a Ford dealer too. The rates you quote seem very high - looks like you should have almost paid for the car after two years.

When you visit dealers have a look to see if they have any 2013's to get rid of. If you can find a dealer of any brand who is sitting on a sizeable stock of 2013 models, they may be more willing to deal.