Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Military Exchange

Military Exchange

Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:00 am
Just Joined

USMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Military Exchange

Hi, I am a member of HM Forces and have been following this forum for the past couple of months, since learning my family and I have been offered a fantastic opportunity of a 3 year exchange with the USMC.

I will be based near Jacksonville NC and living in the Hampstead area. One of my sons will be nearly six when we move and the other 18 months old. I was hoping for any useful tips to smooth the transition to US life if possible, especially any regarding living in NC.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Military Exchange

Your son will likely be assigned to first grade.

Will you be working, or even eligible to work?

Will you be assigned housing, or expected to find your own off-base?

Is a lack of credit a concern for you?

Will you need to buy your own vehicle? .... Used, or can you afford new? (new car payments would likely be in the $300-$400 range)

(With all due respect your open-ended post leaves us with more questions for you, than answers. )

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 10th 2013 at 1:19 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Apologies for the vague post, and in answer to your questions, yes I will be working with the USMC for 3 years, I will receive a fairly decent rental allowance to rent off base, ideally in the Hampstead area as I have heard the schools are good. I will be looking to buy/ lease 2 cars, one for me to commute to work ( cheap and cheerful) and a decent car for my wife. I have looked into Intl Auto Source but as my visa will be a NATO visa they have informed me that they cannot help.

I have a AMEX card and intend to transfer it on arrival, to start establishing a credit line.

I was really just looking for any general advice and tips on living in NC

Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What provisions are made for medical coverage?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USMC
...... I was really just looking for any general advice and tips on living in NC

Thanks
It's hot and humid in the summer, especially close to the coast.

In the case of a big hurricane (most likely August- October) be prepared to batten down the hatches, it will rain like you won't believe (sometimes one or more inches per hour for six or more hours).

Look at a Ford for your wife, Ford has developed a good reputation in recent years, and is now apparently the biggest selling car brand in the US (with you being military, driving an import brand might not look too good ). A Focus may be small and familiar, but for a family with children I'd recommend a Fusion (Mondeo), or an Explorer would be a good choice too.

Watch out for the snakes, you probably won't see any but if you see a stout snake with a brownish camo pattern and a orangy-brown head stay away, it's a copper head, its bite is painful and it has a bad temper! Also the water snakes (water moccassins aka "cotton mouth") are venomous, and rattlers are self evident. Hope you have a healthy population of black snakes (they're long and skinny), as they both eat the prey that copperheads would eat, AND they will kill copperheads! If you have a snake problem, get an outdoor cat- it's called "applied ecology"!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 10th 2013 at 3:30 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I am fortunate that as I am military, comprehensive medical cover is provided for my family and I at no cost.

I do not know if I should admit this as it may shatter the tough military persona that I should have, but I am petrified of snakes, I run a mile even if I see a grass snake (my wife is a farmers daughter which makes her laugh). I was going to leave our cat at home with family but I may bring it out with us now.

I am trying to convince my wife to go for a Ford Explorer Sport as they look very nice, but she is worried about driving a big car
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:46 pm

..... I am trying to convince my wife to go for a Ford Explorer Sport as they look very nice, but she is worried about driving a big car
This is America, an Explorer is not big. If you want "big" look at an Expedition ..... it's an SUV body on a F150 truck chassis. The Explorer is now built like a car, without a separate chassis, so it handles much better, and gets better gas mileage.

There's nothing wrong with being afraid of snakes. I tolerate the black ones, and the king snakes, hog-nosed snakes, and garden snakes, but only because they discourage the copperheads, for which I bought a 20 gauge shotgun. Thankfully we don't have rattlers in my area.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Your title caused me to pause. In the US military, the retail sales services for the military are through the "Exchange." [When I was in the service, the Army had the "Post Exchange" or PX and the Air Force had the "Base Exchange" or BX, both operated by AAFES]. The jarheads have the "Marine Exchange."

You will probably have exchange privileges. In addition, you will probably have "commissary" privileges which should save a lot on the grocery bill.

I assume that you have looked at the Camp Lejuene website -- a lot of information is there.

BTW, military bases often have a thriving market for used cars due to rotations and transfers.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes I have been told that I will be entitled to use the various exchanges on base. I remember visiting a few PX's in Germany in the late 90's and thinking that they were cheap.

I will check out the used car market on base upon arrival. Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:40 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's nothing wrong with being afraid of snakes.
Insufficient legs.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

We live in NC - also military, but based about 2.5 hours from Jacksonville. I have only ever experienced the US military so don't know how it compares to the UK. I LOVE living in NC. The weather is great and the people are friendly (exceptions everywhere but can only speak from my experience). Your wife will definitely need a car - my husband and I shared for about two months when I first moved here and it made life hard... I only really felt settled once I had a car (and a VPN for Coronation St). Our commissary has a small British section, as does Harris Teeter. I thought I would stand out as an immigrant over here, but just about every military spouse is also a long way from 'home'.

We only have a baby so can't comment on schools, but I have been told that the standard of education in NC isn't great. I know a lot of families who homeschool. Will your wife be working? Having kids is a good way to make friends.

Oh, and you will be about an hour from Wilmington! One of my favourite places. Downtown Wilmington is relaxed and beautiful and Wrightsville Beach is just down the road
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi Halfmoon,

I have heard lots of good things about Wilmington and look forward to visiting. My wife is a bit of a film buff and I understand quite a few movies are filmed their.

We are going to be hopefully living in Hampstead and apparently Top Sail Elementary is a decent school. My son thinks he is going on holiday for 3 years

Is the commissary much cheaper than the normal stores?

Very much looking forward to the experience of living in NC.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

Hi Halfmoon,
I have heard lots of good things about Wilmington and look forward to visiting. My wife is a bit of a film buff and I understand quite a few movies are filmed their.
The locals call it 'Wilmingwood' We were there when they were filming One Tree Hill, and also Revolution earlier this year.

Is the commissary much cheaper than the normal stores?
Yes for some things - we load up on meat and beer when we go. But we live about 15 miles off post so usually shop at Walmart instead (lazy!)

Glad you have a decent school in mind. We are considering moving into a better school district but have a few years before we need to worry about it.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:21 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We have a WIKI that addresses some of the concerns you might have, such as banks and schools and even how to make friends and whatnot.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:USA

Drivers License
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driving_licence

Schools:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educat...s_in_school%3F

I remember there was a Crocodile Hunter episode in which he helped the US military remove snakes from a training ground, but I think that was in Florida. Camp Lejeune does have an occasional snake bite though.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/arti...st-Coast-bases

Last edited by penguinsix; Aug 11th 2013 at 12:25 am.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the Crocodile Hunter link, really enjoyed watching it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.