Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insuring your goods during shipping

Insuring your goods during shipping

Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of
Default Insuring your goods during shipping

Hi just wondered if when any of you shipped your goods if you took the Marine insurance as offered by the removal company or did you shop around ? if you did any suggestions ? Certaily would not ship it without the insurancce but just want to get the best deal and as usual when it coems as a package the prices seems high.
Any help welcomed
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Insuring your goods during shipping

Hello,

I had to use the insurance offered by the shipping company. I had tried to 'self ship' my container full of belongings, one of the stumbling blocks was Insurance, like you I didn't want to transport it without insurance. Despite making google my best friend and pestering the Insurance agents local to me, I wasn't able to get was unable to get any cover. In the end I just threw in the towel and went with a shipping company. Several of my large items were dented and scratched. However they were not damaged enough to warrant a claim because the wording on the policy is that the value is per item and the cost of that item didn't meet the cost of the high excess. (hope that makes sense)

Also if you are shipping over a whole container, check to see if you will have to pay the VACIS charge should your container be selected for inspection. It's a 10 second scan that costs an awful lot of money!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Because its cheap as chips wholesale and it just does not make much sense to retail other than through the shippers.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=CarrotCruncher;5896911]Hello,

check to see if you will have to pay the VACIS charge should your container be selected for inspection.

What is this ? and how do I find out ? it does not appear to be anywhere on paperwork from removal company
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

A VACIS Examination is an x-ray (Mobile gamma ray machine) of your goods at the port of entry. Despite having a full inventory they can pick on your container for this exam, 8% are selected.
As I was shippping a complete 20' container I had to pay for this. It's a week or two delay and a chunk of money, so worth checking who would be liable for the fee. (At least they don't unpack it though)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We went with the shippers insurance. Never occured to me to shop around since I didn't expect anyone else to be offering anything that would be claimable.
I don't think you can escape the extra dockside charges if they occur.
We had our share of the Customs scan (One box was opened) and the USDA spraying!!! Complete con but nothing you can do. (Was $875 in total for our share (think we were oneof 9 in that container)
Unfortunately one of those things you have to suck up.

PS when you do finally sign make sure it includes Salvage Cover. Unlikely but remember the containers strewn across a Devon beach last year? Without salvage cover you have to pay a share of the clean up cost based on your share of the ship??? How much of that is bullshit I've no idea.

PPS our insurance represented under 10% of the total shipping cost.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:36 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wisewol
Hi just wondered if when any of you shipped your goods if you took the Marine insurance as offered by the removal company or did you shop around ? if you did any suggestions ? Certaily would not ship it without the insurancce but just want to get the best deal and as usual when it coems as a package the prices seems high.
Any help welcomed
I used the shippers insurance thank god as we had to claim 1340 quid in damages.