Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When do I shout for my SSN

When do I shout for my SSN

Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default When do I shout for my SSN

I have been in the US since the 29th December 2007 and to date have not received my SSN. At the moment its OK as my company are advancing me my salary and as my wife is American we have been OK for Bank Accounts, etc.

This said I have a very short window available to sign up to my company benefit scheme and if i don't get anything in the next week or so I will be really cutting it close.

I applied for the SSN to be sent to me on my DS-230 and I know its only been three weeks but I have a inherent distrust of anything government based and I was wondering when others would start to walking into the SSN Office and asking for a progress update or even asking them to check I am in the system.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When do I shout for my SSN

Usually about 2-3 weeks is normal.

Give it another week (but your choice) then take a trip to your local Social Security office.

HTH
Darren
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
I have been in the US since the 29th December 2007 and to date have not received my SSN. At the moment its OK as my company are advancing me my salary and as my wife is American we have been OK for Bank Accounts, etc.

This said I have a very short window available to sign up to my company benefit scheme and if i don't get anything in the next week or so I will be really cutting it close.

I applied for the SSN to be sent to me on my DS-230 and I know its only been three weeks but I have a inherent distrust of anything government based and I was wondering when others would start to walking into the SSN Office and asking for a progress update or even asking them to check I am in the system.
If no Green Card has shown up either, within 4 weeks of arrival (allow time for the holiday), then it is probably time to follow up. The last I heard, there has been a delay for new Immigrant Visa arrivals and their GC production (your card will come from Texas).

However, to answer your real concern.. you do not have to have a SS# to get in on the benefit scheme. Start asking them now what other 'unique identifier' you can use in lieu of a Social Security number.

You should also be able to be added to your wife's bank account, but that can take a little arguing. Ask them if you can complete a W-9 and give them your SS# when it comes.

If you have the time/inclination, you can certainly go to the SSA office about now and find out what's going on. Be careful about putting in a 2nd application too soon--you don't want to wind up with two.
The SSA may also be able to give you your number if you go in in person, in advance of the card being produced and sent out.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

When my hubby and I first got married (he arrived on a K1 fiance visa) I was able to add him to my health and life insurance with no issue. The ins. company basically entered a 'dummy' SSN (i.e. 999-99-9999) until the actual one arrived. And if they try to pull some BS, don't take it. They don't require an SSN for health insurance. Banks on the other hand, are a different story. We called at several banks, and none of them would do anything for him if he didn't have an SSN (which I think is a load of sh*t).
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:28 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this varies by state. In Texas I was able to open a Bank of America account without a SSN. They entered 000-00-0000. Once I got my SSN I took the card to my local branch and they updated my record. Sometimes you just need to talk to the right person at the branch. I think this was covered a while back, and one person went to a different branch of the same bank and was able to open an account. I think, when in doubt, the tellers just air on the side of caution and presume they need a SSN, when in fact many don't.

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Banks on the other hand, are a different story. We called at several banks, and none of them would do anything for him if he didn't have an SSN (which I think is a load of sh*t).
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies. We have managed with the bank accounts. My wife already had one so after 1 1/2 hours they realized they could add me to her account without the SSN

My concern is that as of now, my company are just giving me cheques rather than running me through payroll and when I saw the benefit women today she said that because I'm not on payroll I couldn't get onto the system for benefits (I don't qualify for 30 days anyway) but all the same its really annoying.

I think I'm gonna give the SS Office until the back end of next week and if I have nothing by Friday I'll go down there.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:48 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure how long the DS-230 route takes. I arrived on a H1B so filed A SS5 at my local Social Security Office. From memory - I had to wait 10 days before applying (I was told it takes that amount of time from entering the US for your details to get in to the system), and then the card took 2 weeks to arrive. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Thanks for the replies. We have managed with the bank accounts. My wife already had one so after 1 1/2 hours they realized they could add me to her account without the SSN

My concern is that as of now, my company are just giving me cheques rather than running me through payroll and when I saw the benefit women today she said that because I'm not on payroll I couldn't get onto the system for benefits (I don't qualify for 30 days anyway) but all the same its really annoying.

I think I'm gonna give the SS Office until the back end of next week and if I have nothing by Friday I'll go down there.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

i had the same problem.... go to your local SS office, tell them about it. They will tell you to wait another couple of weeks. Go back again a week or so later and they we re-process your SSN request. This takes about 2 weeks to come thru.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

My OH entered the US on December 27th (I-130) visa and his SS card arrived on 8th Jan, so yours seems to be a little lost.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your company *can* sort that out.. you can be 'on the payroll' and in the system... they might have to <gasp> change their usual way of doing things.

You may be hired for a job, employed and paid before you receive your Social Security Number!
Your application via DS-230 II is equivilant to and application via SS-5 (see below)

Employers may hire candidates who have applied for, but not yet recieved, their Social Security Card.

http://tinyurl.com/3aqah6
Do legal aliens need a Social Security number to work?

Employers may hire foreign workers who have applied for and are waiting to receive Social Security numbers and cards. The employee may work while the Social Security number application is being processed. If your employee applied for an SSN but does not have it when you must file Form W-2, enter "Applied for" on the form. When the employee receives the SSN, file Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, to show the employee's SSN.

More detail gathered here: http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...ad.php?t=88#iv
including the info about 'how long'.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help - I'll pop into SS Office on Tuesday and if no joy I'll speak to payroll about the links you all have sent
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who ended up having to apply 3 separate times for his SS5 as the verification from DHS kept getting hung up. It ended up taking 7 months to get the SS card.

Having said that, if you've been approved for assignment of a number, they should be able to give you both a printout of the number, and/or a letter for your employer stating that you've applied.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:15 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
When my hubby and I first got married (he arrived on a K1 fiance visa) I was able to add him to my health and life insurance with no issue. The ins. company basically entered a 'dummy' SSN (i.e. 999-99-9999) until the actual one arrived. And if they try to pull some BS, don't take it. They don't require an SSN for health insurance. Banks on the other hand, are a different story. We called at several banks, and none of them would do anything for him if he didn't have an SSN (which I think is a load of sh*t).
Patriot Act. Times have changed since 9/11 :|

Its times like this I'm glad we were poor and didn't have to worry about insurance and benefits for the first year. But I'd recommend chasing up the SSA and if worse comes to worst.....ask what you can do without the SSN and add it later.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:56 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I added Toon in Jan 2006 to my health insurance plan and he most definitely DID NOT have an SSN at that point. I had 30 days from the date of marriage to add him without him having to prove eligibility. He didn't get his SSN until May of that year because his IV didn't come through until April and he "landed" on the 21st April.

Same with adding him to my BofA account.

The DMV required mumbo-jumbo to the effect of the SSN not having been applied for (no clause for those who have no CLUE whether it's been officially applied for cos no SS-5 filled out) but we got that through without SSN.

All required us to give it when he got it, but that was okay.

I think this goes to show YMMV based very much on which company you're dealing with, the phase of the moon, and so on. Life is definitely easier with an SSN but not necessarily impossible without.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

That may be the case if you're married and can piggyback on someone else's credit, but it's just about impossible if you're single and have no SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.