Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance for OAP father coming from UK to visit...

Insurance for OAP father coming from UK to visit...

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance for OAP father coming from UK to visit...

Does anyone have a recommendation where my father might be able to get insurance for a possible Christmas trip to see the family in the US? His usual source that he used on his last trip in 2005 declined to quote him, claiming over 75's were essentially uninsurable. He has no current significant health issues, or prior medical problems, he has a few regular meds for high BP and that is about it. He wants to visit but of course he would be crazy to come to the US without insurance.

Thanks in advance.

- Tim
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance for OAP father coming from UK to visit...

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Does anyone have a recommendation where my father might be able to get insurance for a possible Christmas trip to see the family in the US? His usual source that he used on his last trip in 2005 declined to quote him, claiming over 75's were essentially uninsurable. He has no current significant health issues, or prior medical problems, he has a few regular meds for high BP and that is about it. He wants to visit but of course he would be crazy to come to the US without insurance.

Thanks in advance.

- Tim
I've used the following for my 83 yr old MIL's Christmas visit...Age Concern will also insure this age group but due to a recent diagnosis they refused her cover.

http://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/cgi-...01+msdw009+alc
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.

- Tim
Hi, my Dad visited me in the US this summer - he's 79 and has no health issues and takes no regular medications.

I can't remember who he got his insurance with, but I suggested to him that he look on Martin Lewis's site for recommendations, which I think is what he did...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Try Saga.

My 87 year old diabetic grandmother got insurance for less than £200 for two weeks.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 3:05 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My mum and dad got their insurance through SAGA when they came this summer. Dad is 86 and has high BP and has had some mini strokes and mum, 84 has high BP. They were here for a month and it cost 700GBP for the two of them. It was a very good coverage.

Thanks in advance.

- Tim
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

I recently saw a thread on another forum discussing this very thing. Somebody had been trying to get insurance for their parents for a 70 day visit, both in their 80's and with pre-exisitings, and were either getting refused or quoted very high premiums.

Somebody recommended the British Mountaineering Council and the OP came back to say they had got cover with them for 200GBP each and it included their pre-existings!

Lots of other posters then came on to the thread saying they had also used them and their prices were the best. I think the only thing is they require you to actually join the BMC but I think it's a fairly small fee....worth it if you need regular travel insurance.

Their website is www.thebmc.co.uk

Definitely worth a phone call I think.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
I recently saw a thread on another forum discussing this very thing. Somebody had been trying to get insurance for their parents for a 70 day visit, both in their 80's and with pre-exisitings, and were either getting refused or quoted very high premiums.

Somebody recommended the British Mountaineering Council and the OP came back to say they had got cover with them for 200GBP each and it included their pre-existings!

Lots of other posters then came on to the thread saying they had also used them and their prices were the best. I think the only thing is they require you to actually join the BMC but I think it's a fairly small fee....worth it if you need regular travel insurance.

Their website is www.thebmc.co.uk

Definitely worth a phone call I think.
You don't need to call them you can get a quote on line. I'm a little sceptical because they do not ask for any medical background and the price is so low. AllCleartravel was over double their price...Saga was three times more. My MIL is 83 and has 5 medical conditions and takes 4 meds per day...every insurance I have tried wanted to know the full medical history.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

My mum was here for 8 weeks; she's 80 and has a couple of minor issues. She was declined by whoever she used last time, but got insurance from someone else for a reasonable price (300 pounds, maybe?). They specifically excluded her pre-existing issues, which was not a biggie.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

Insurance seems harder to get once people turn 80. My mother came to stay with me for 32 days in October and her insurance was £276.00 through Insureforall.com. No cover for existing conditions unless declared.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

A different route to take is if the older individual can be added to a company policy, as business travel cover (which i know this isnt) can sometimes be more flexible.

And yes, most people over the age of 70 do find difficulty getting travel cover for the obvious reasons.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
A different route to take is if the older individual can be added to a company policy, as business travel cover (which i know this isnt) can sometimes be more flexible.

And yes, most people over the age of 70 do find difficulty getting travel cover for the obvious reasons.
I think you have 2 problems with this:

Business Policies also have age limits

You buy cover in case something really nasty happens, and if you have aged parents travelling and make a claim, well somebody will smell a rat and start asking questions.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You don't need to call them you can get a quote on line. I'm a little sceptical because they do not ask for any medical background and the price is so low. AllCleartravel was over double their price...Saga was three times more. My MIL is 83 and has 5 medical conditions and takes 4 meds per day...every insurance I have tried wanted to know the full medical history.
http://www.fortisinsurance.co.uk

Are the insurers, all these organisations will front.

I doubt very much if they have seperate coverages, probably have modifications depending on the fronts target market.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

You buy cover in case something really nasty happens, and if you have aged parents travelling and make a claim, well somebody will smell a rat and start asking questions.
This raises a good point about insurance in general (applies equally to auto insurance). You can lie, or bend the rules, or omit information, with a view to getting a more attractive premium; but when you make an actual claim, they will check all the details and declare your policy void if they find you've misrepresented the facts. Just because they issue a policy does not mean they are really covering you ...
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This raises a good point about insurance in general (applies equally to auto insurance). You can lie, or bend the rules, or omit information, with a view to getting a more attractive premium; but when you make an actual claim, they will check all the details and declare your policy void if they find you've misrepresented the facts. Just because they issue a policy does not mean they are really covering you ...
Exactly. I would not have insurance without covering pre-existing conditions ...I'm sure they'd find some way of linking the broken leg with high blood pressure etc.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think you have 2 problems with this:

Business Policies also have age limits

Some do, not all. Depends on the company. I have personally arranged temp cover with Chubb Insurance for a traveler who was 85.