Insurance or not insurance

Insurance or not insurance

Old Jan 6th 2004, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

fudgey65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance or not insurance

Hi Guys and Gals,

Happy New Year

Now have my visa, I am UK Cit married to US cit (both lived in UK for last 6 years) selling up and moving to USA, probably around Texas or Georgia.

My question is: When we emigrate we intend to travel for around three months in a motor home to find somewhere we like the look of before laying down roots. My main worry is health insurance whilst we are travelling and setting up home. Is there any policies out there that will cover us for around 6-12 months that does not cost thousands, buy this time we hope to be working and the normal benefits will kick in?

Any additional advice for a new emigrating would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
fudgey
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:31 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Do what we did, took out a year long travel/holiday insurance whilst we were in the UK.
Best 80:00 we ever spent.

Would you know it, 2 months after we arrived my wife was taken into the ER with pancrititus.
She spent 4 days in the ER then 3 in a general ward.
Total cast came to just over $30k.
All paid for by that nice insurance company in the UK.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:25 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that too, we booked holiday insurance in the UK for the first 2 weeks we where here before benefits kicked in. You can claim from any address worldwide

Patrick
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

fudgey65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by excpomea
Do what we did, took out a year long travel/holiday insurance whilst we were in the UK.
Best 80:00 we ever spent.

Would you know it, 2 months after we arrived my wife was taken into the ER with pancrititus.
She spent 4 days in the ER then 3 in a general ward.
Total cast came to just over $30k.
All paid for by that nice insurance company in the UK.
Thanks for the replies, I have looked at annual travel insurance, the problem with them is that these only cover for 30 days for 1 holiday then you have to return back to the uk for 1 day before another 30 travel kicks in. Can you name the insurance company you paid £80 to? or is that not permitted on the forum (apologies if breaking a rule by asking). Have also looked in to gap year travel insurance but my husband to old to qualify!!!

Thanks again
fudgey
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:28 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I got the insurance through the Armed Forces, I was serving in the NAvy at the time.
I Know what you mean about the 30 days rule.
That was not a requirement of the policy issued to us.
I'm am wondering if this was due to the service connections.
If so, then my advice would be to shop around, maybe some companies offer more than the 30 days.
I mean, what do people do who go on 6 month backpacking trips? The insurance must be out there.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I would suggest that too, we booked holiday insurance in the UK for the first 2 weeks we where here before benefits kicked in. You can claim from any address worldwide

Patrick

I didn't know you could book holiday insurance if you were coming to the US to settle. We are in this predicament at the moment. We have a 2 year old, so its pretty important that we have some kind of insurance. We've used Direct Line in the past for travel insurance, you mean I can just call them up and get insurance through them?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AmerLisa
I didn't know you could book holiday insurance if you were coming to the US to settle. We are in this predicament at the moment. We have a 2 year old, so its pretty important that we have some kind of insurance. We've used Direct Line in the past for travel insurance, you mean I can just call them up and get insurance through them?
Technically you can't ...if you immigrating .. but who is to say you will not want to go home in X weeks ...I got 6 months travel insurance when I did it but that was a long time ago.. try

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/

I think that was the company I used
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I would suggest that too, we booked holiday insurance in the UK for the first 2 weeks we where here before benefits kicked in. ....
Yep, that's what we did as well!