Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Insurance for immigrants

Wikiposts

Insurance for immigrants

Old May 16th 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance for immigrants

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Also it says the "Global Citizen" policy covers pre-existing - but, only if coming from a HIPAA creditable prior policy. AFAIK, in IMHO, NHS does not qualify as one of those. I had been looking for my parents. Finally settled on the Oregon insurance pool. Perhaps your State has one of those?
The only catch is, have to be a resident to be eligible. A person immigrating through a POE and getting the "GC stamp" and making a home in Oregon means they are eligible from day one as far as the Oregon Pool is considered.

An interesting question then - what does a person coming in on a fiance visa do for health insurance? Travel insurance may not be valid if it came to a disputed claim - The Ins. Co. could say the claimant wasn't just travelling.
It makes the case for a spouse visa look better if there is health insurance to consider. Then the immigrating spouse could just be added to the USC's health insurance?
Also how old are your parents as policys mainly go up to age 65.
Then people go to Medicare if citizens or residents for 5 years.Unless they have a work policy.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Then people go to Medicare if citizens or residents for 5 years.Unless they have a work policy.
Interestingly, I found out the state of Illinois does consider the NHS creditable insurance, and will insure people arriving for pre-existing conditions from day 1, if they have a green card.

Not sure if that applies to private policies yet.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Interestingly, I found out the state of Illinois does consider the NHS creditable insurance, and will insure people arriving for pre-existing conditions from day 1, if they have a green card.

That would be handy then.
Are they here yet ?
Old May 16th 2007, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

That would be handy then.
Are they here yet ?
I'm the one with a fiance, not parents. And he is not here yet. I am not certain if that will work for someone on a fiance visa either - just that it would for someone arriving with a green card.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the one with a fiance, not parents. And he is not here yet. I am not certain if that will work for someone on a fiance visa either - just that it would for someone arriving with a green card.
problem with many is that they don't arrive with a greencard in hand...
Old May 16th 2007, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
problem with many is that they don't arrive with a greencard in hand...
Sure, I'm well aware of that. They "might" cover fiance visas, I don't know yet.

But it is still useful information - might be one thing to consider if someone's moving to Illinois - whether to come in as a fiance or already married.

Now... the state of Illinois CHIPS program told me this, but of course anyone counting on it should check for themself, in case I was misinformed.
Old May 16th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Parents are elderly, but eligible for Oregon State Insurance Pool as arriving on a GC. It's not a freebie or cheap at all, it has premiums that have to be paid. After five years when eligible for Medicare through being here as LPR for five years, they have to transfer to that (paying Part A and B, - Part D and supplement if required. Their paperwork is at the London Embassy now.

Last edited by farmerwife; May 16th 2007 at 3:41 pm.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Parents are elderly, but eligible for Oregon State Insurance Pool as arriving on a GC. It's not a freebie or cheap at all, it has premiums that have to be paid. After five years when eligible for Medicare through being here as LPR for five years, they have to transfer to that (paying Part A and B, - Part D and supplement if required. Their paperwork is at the London Embassy now.
That's good. Glad to hear it's working out for them.

Just for anyone else looking - I never intended to say FREE insurance - the state insurance pools come at a cost, as does other insurance.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

sorry i was getting confused there for a minute.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

I know its all so expensive. But you have to be covered.
Medicare will be who knows what in 5 yrs time.
My Mums paperwork should be on the way to Embassy in next month or so.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is Insurance and Insurance.

Is it underwritten or just age related.

How comprehensive is it.

Limits and co pays also a factor.

The more I look at individual US coverage the more I agree with those who say how shit it is.

Excuse my French.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is Insurance and Insurance.

Is it underwritten or just age related.

How comprehensive is it.

Limits and co pays also a factor.

The more I look at individual US coverage the more I agree with those who say how shit it is.

Excuse my French.
I understand how you feel. With respect though - my intention with this thread was to point out possibilities (and hear from others) on how to cope - not to comment on the system. Could we possibly do just that in this thread? Kinda done the other in other threads...

I am not commenting on systems at all here, just trying to find stuff that can be helpful within the current system.

Of course, I'm not the boss of you (or anyone else) - just trying to politely ask...
Old May 17th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Unicorndreams, good news on your Mum's paperwork moving along.
Hope you have managed to search out a good policy for her. Did your State Pool work out for her?
Old May 17th 2007, 9:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand how you feel. With respect though - my intention with this thread was to point out possibilities (and hear from others) on how to cope - not to comment on the system. Could we possibly do just that in this thread? Kinda done the other in other threads...

I am not commenting on systems at all here, just trying to find stuff that can be helpful within the current system.

Of course, I'm not the boss of you (or anyone else) - just trying to politely ask...
My comments are solely related to coverage for the individual, just had to go through the process due to job change.

Decided the best bet was a high deductible HSA plan as at least with your own money you know what you will get, if I had spent the money on premium I could still be in a hole depending on what my needs are, an unknown.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Tracy, I wanted to take another look at this - re does any U.S health insurer private or government consider NHS 'Creditable Coverage' for the purpose of covering pre-existing conditions.
I took a look at the State of Illinois CHIP program; it does look quite similar to the State of Oregon OMIP program. Their definition of 'Creditable Coverage' is the same as Oregon's; it is based on the US legislative code - check here - scroll down to (c).
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42...0--gg000-.html

I think confusion may arise because of the terminology of "State". What is included are "State health benefits risk pools" and suchlike - where "State" is defined in the code as one of the fifty US. But try asking an average insurance company rep. or a State government 1-800 misinformation line "Does the NHS count as "Creditable Coverage"?" You can hear the wheels turning ......"what's the NHS?"... they ask.
So when they figure out it's government funded universal healthcare, they assume it is creditable coverage because it's 'Government' and 'State'.
But it's not one of the fifty, or what is defined in U.S. code.
So the CHIP program looks similar to the OMIP program, but the Oregon OMIP administrative rules based on US code won't include the NHS as "Creditable Coverage". That's IMHO - but I am not a lawyer... etc.

Last edited by farmerwife; May 17th 2007 at 10:31 am. Reason: sp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.