Income Tax

Old May 19th 2015, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Natters108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income Tax

I have just moved to the US on a spouse visa with a green card.

I have a property in the UK which is rented. I am planning on remortgaging it in the UK and transferring the money to the States. will this money bring up any tax liabilities in the USA? Our plan is to by a house in the US.

Thanks
Old May 19th 2015, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax

Your biggest problem might be finding a UK bank willing to remortgage to you while you are in the US.
Old May 19th 2015, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Your biggest problem might be finding a UK bank willing to remortgage to you while you are in the US.

I have found a bank that will do it.
Old May 19th 2015, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natters108
I have found a bank that will do it.
Do you mind sharing? It's a topic that comes up occasionally and other posters have indicated that the number of banks willing to provide such services is diminishing.
Old May 19th 2015, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Do you mind sharing? It's a topic that comes up occasionally and other posters have indicated that the number of banks willing to provide such services is diminishing.

My financial adviser found it for me. I will be seeing him tomorrow and will get the information for you.

I'm still not sure if I will get it as I do not want an unexpected tax bill.
Old May 19th 2015, 9:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Refinancing won't per se create a taxable event. .... Paying off your mortgage (the old one) might create a taxable FX gain if from a USD perspective it costs fewer dollars to pay off than you received when you took out the mortgage (adjusted for repayments of principal). With the benefit of hindsight you should have refianced whilst still in the UK. It has been debated on BE several times as to whether the gain would be noticed and taxed by the IRS, but per the IRS guidance a FX gain on the repayment of a loan certainly seems to be taxable.

That said, unless you are certain you are returning to the UK before you need to sell the house, you should seriously consider selling it because you are setting yourself up for the twin nighmares of managing a rental property from across the Atlantic and dealing with a potentially substantial capital gains tax bill from Uncle Sam if you sell it more than three years after you moved out, and now a CGT bill from HMC&R if you sell it more than 18 months after you move out.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 19th 2015 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Natters108
My financial adviser found it for me. I will be seeing him tomorrow and will get the information for you.

I'm still not sure if I will get it as I do not want an unexpected tax bill.
Hi, Sorry for the delay. The mortgage didn't work out, you're right it is very difficult. My financial adviser thought he could get on, alas it's a no go.