Non-dom

Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Natters108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-dom

I am a UK citizen. I am moving to the US to be with my wife (US citizen). We will be looking after my mother in law, I will therefore not be working or earning a income in the US, nor will I have any substantial savings there.

I have property in the UK, I understand I will have to pay HMRC.
I will also be returning to the UK at least once a year as I have family over here. I'm not sure if it will be for more than 90 days, however it will be close.

I will be filling taxes in the US jointly with my wife.

I do not plan to sell my property any time soon.

My question is do I have to file to be a non dom for UK taxes as it doesn't really benefit me as far as I can see?

Last edited by Natters108; Jun 4th 2015 at 10:45 am.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 11:58 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-dom

Originally Posted by Natters108
I am a UK citizen. I am moving to the US to be with my wife (US citizen). We will be looking after my mother in law, I will therefore not be working or earning a income in the US, nor will I have any substantial savings there.

I have property in the UK, I understand I will have to pay HMRC.
I will also be returning to the UK at least once a year as I have family over here. I'm not sure if it will be for more than 90 days, however it will be close.

I will be filling taxes in the US jointly with my wife.

I do not plan to sell my property any time soon.

My question is do I have to file to be a non dom for UK taxes as it doesn't really benefit me as far as I can see?
What visa are you on in the US or do you have a greencard?

If you are leaving the UK file a P85 and use the HMRC tax residency webtool to find out your status.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Natters108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non-dom

Originally Posted by nun
What visa are you on in the US or do you have a greencard?

If you are leaving the UK file a P85 and use the HMRC tax residency webtool to find out your status.
CR1 and yes I will have a greencard.