Reload this Page >

Immunizations needed to move to Florida

Immunizations needed to move to Florida

Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immunizations needed to move to Florida

Originally Posted by Rete
Apologies if I'm wrong, Boiler, but didn't you adjust status here in the US without having first gotten a visa from the US Consulate to enter to marry or were married and entered under an IR-1. Perhaps that is the difference in the need for the vaccine.
K1
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

back in 2008 I was just required to have MMR and Td/IPV (diphtheria, tetanus and polio) no pertussis or chicken pox. Tetanus was a bit redundant because of the chest x-ray.
Here is the list you should take to your doctor

https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions...n-requirements

Mumps
Measles
Rubella
Polio
Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids
Pertussis
Haemophilus influenzae type B
Hepatitis B
Any other vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 7th 2016 at 9:37 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
back in 2008 I was just required to have MMR and Td/IPV (diphtheria, tetanus and polio) no pertussis or chicken pox. Tetanus was a bit redundant because of the chest x-ray.
Here is the list you should take to your doctor
The x-ray is to check for Tuberculosis not tetanus.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you know you've been jabbed, could always ask for a titre test, GP might do it if they "need" it for their records and not charge you, but even if you are charged, might be cheaper than doing all the jabs if you're going to be charged for them. Certainly don't want to get them done during the medical as that place isn't cheap, even if they do them there any more.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
MMR? I did not.
Because you'd already had it?

Just being nosy really.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Never had it.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio booster prior to the medical (which a nice GP might give you for free, they wouldn't with me because I'd had 5 Tetanus jabs in the past and, as far as the NHS is concerned, that's as many as you'll ever need).
The Pertussis element was noted as 'not enough time to administer' on my medical form and was no problem. (Pertussis is only available in the UK as a combined vaccine - I'm not overly fussed as I had whooping cough as a kid).
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumping_tigger
We are available to get the Chicken pox vaccine in Wales, but it runs from anywhere from £65-£100+ each. If there is a chance that we don't need it, I'd rather not get in done. Our girls had chicken pox 2 years ago, as it went round most of the infants at school.
My kids have been through 4 schools across 2 states so far, and they've all happily accepted a varicella history of me just saying oh, they've had chicken pox.

I'd leave it until you get here. It probably won't be a issue and if so, you'll be able to get it done really easily and probably for free under your insurance.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Never had it.
So why didn't you need it?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 12:19 am
Account Closed

DOB

But not as old as suggested above.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

Hi - I had a similar problem with my records not going back far enough. I asked them to go back to birth in the manual records (in my case 42 years) and they did. They then updated my electronic record with the information. I had to go in to my GP surgery and make a request in writing, giving them a date when I needed it by.

Once you've got that, this link gives you everything you need;

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...D%20-%20London

In summary;

- The varicella isn't available in the UK so not relevant. Your record should show you've had chicken pox though

- MMR isn't needed if you're born before 1957. If you're born between 1970 - 79 then you may not have had all of it (my case) and so the GP will get you up-to-date. Born 1980 onwards and you almost certainly will have had it. This link explains...(About the MMR vaccine - Vaccinations - NHS Choices)

- Flu is seasonal (Oct - Mar I think)

-Only other vaccine if you're aged 18-65 is TDP (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine). You will almost certainly have had this as a child. If you haven't had a tetanus boost in the past 10 years then they may want you to have one. Again, if you ask the GP nicely (I said mine was for 'travel') it shouldn't cost you and you can get it done before the medical.

Last edited by carlrush; Mar 9th 2016 at 1:31 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlrush

- The varicella isn't available in the UK so not relevant. Your record should show you've had chicken pox though
The vaccine is available in the UK, just not on the NHS.

Billing from your GP all depends on their policies. Mine gave me my vaccine record for free, others have had to pay for it but those same people have had the vaccines administered for free whilst my GP wanted to charge for some and flatly refused to administer a Tetanus booster.

EDIT: So I told him to get stuffed and had it all done at various private clinics - the cheapest of which was the County walk-in health center here in Florida. I had a few extra ones done on top of the required because I like to travel to 'dodgy' places and thought I may as well get them all done in the same period.

Last edited by zzrmark; Mar 9th 2016 at 5:26 pm. Reason: More info
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zzrmark
The vaccine is available in the UK, just not on the NHS.

Billing from your GP all depends on their policies. Mine gave me my vaccine record for free, others have had to pay for it but those same people have had the vaccines administered for free whilst my GP wanted to charge for some and flatly refused to administer a Tetanus booster.

EDIT: So I told him to get stuffed and had it all done at various private clinics - the cheapest of which was the County walk-in health center here in Florida. I had a few extra ones done on top of the required because I like to travel to 'dodgy' places and thought I may as well get them all done in the same period.
I should have clarified, as it isn't widely available in the UK it's not required at the medical (as per link from us govt site).

The NHS records are covered by the Data Protection Act and you have a right to view them online at no charge. If your GP doesn't provide them online (i.e. so you can view and print it yourself) they shouldn't charge a paper copy. Referring to the Information Commissioners Office should fix it.

This is all assuming you're still in the UK... although flying to Florida to get them done sound like a good plan/excuse ;-)