Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunizations needed to move to Florida

Immunizations needed to move to Florida

Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Jumping_tigger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immunizations needed to move to Florida

We are currently awaiting for our visa to come through, and I am trying to get any immunizations up to date before we go to London for the Embassy Medical Check up.
We are a family of four. My daughter's are 5 and 6 and are up to date with their immunizations, and have all their records. My husband has no records with our doctors as only go back 30 years, and I have some of mine.

Just wondering what to expect at the medical, as a lot of the immunizations are only done as a child, so no longer applicable as an adult ???

Do we also need to have the Chicken Pox vaccine done???

Many Thanks for any advice !!!
😀😀😀
Old Mar 7th 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunizations needed to move to Florida

2009 Vaccination Panel Physicians Technical Instructions | Immigrant and Refugee Health | CDC

I had all the jabs missing from my vaccine history done at my GP before my medical for free. Including MMR as they were given separately when I was a child. When I saw the Vaccination nurse at the Knightsbridge doctors they noted down VH (Varicella History) as I had chicken pox as a child. If you don't have a vaccine record then you will need to get all of the age appropriate jabs in the link above and the Knightsbridge doctors will charge you for them.

If you search the immigration forum with Medical you will find lots of write ups of peoples experiences at the medical. Here is mine which was for a Fiance Visa. What visa are you getting?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...edical-707955/

Last edited by BubbleChog; Mar 7th 2016 at 2:04 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

We are awaiting on a EB-5 visa.

That is the chart that I have been looking at. I just had visions of having to have everything done, as having no record, that I just wanted someone's else point of view that had gone through the process already.

My girls have just had their first Hep B jab last week.

The only injections I thought we might need is the Tdap(at the medical, as I don't think this is available anywhere else, with the whooping cough included in it.), for myself and my husband and then also the MMR(i only have a record of the Rubella) at our doctors, and my older daughter when she turns 7 needs her Td, which I can get done at my doctors. And husband will need his flu jab aswell.

As we have all had chicken pox, that will be great if we don't have to have that done.

Thanks for the advice !!!

😀😀😀
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

If you and your husband are between 18 and 64 you will need TDap, MMR, and the Varicella or a history of chicken pox, and the flu jab if it's still flu season. Which is what you just said. I also got Hep B because I was marrying into a Chinese American family so it was high risk.

The actual medical was pretty tame. The work up I get each year for the insurance physical is much more thorough
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
If you and your husband are between 18 and 64 you will need TDap, MMR, and the Varicella or a history of chicken pox, and the flu jab if it's still flu season. Which is what you just said. I also got Hep B because I was marrying into a Chinese American family so it was high risk.

The actual medical was pretty tame. The work up I get each year for the insurance physical is much more thorough
MMR? I did not.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

When I did my Immigrant Visa at the end of 2010 as a 44yo male it was just MMR and TDap. Varicella was waived as it wasn't usually available in the UK. Not sure if that's still the case - I've seen posters since say they had it done.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
MMR? I did not.
Depends on your age.

It is a good idea right now to get MMR and pertussis adult boosters because measles and pertussis (whooping cough) are becoming endemic in the US.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Depends on your age.

It is a good idea right now to get MMR and pertussis adult boosters because measles and pertussis (whooping cough) are becoming endemic in the US.
If you and your husband are between 18 and 64 you will need TDap, MMR

I was responding to this.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MMR? I did not.
When I got my medical done, back in 2011 those were the jabs I needed. I probably could have got the titres instead but my GP would charge for that and he said at 33 a booster would probably be a good idea anyway.

Like Sir Eccles says rates of vaccine preventable diseases are on the rise, because of people not vaxxing and immunity "wearing off" on older people who were vaccinated. Some studies are now showing that 20 years after some immunisations, the benefit can be greatly reduced and the main reason it's not an issue is because good herd immunity means the diseases don't travel through the population. So add that to some areas of the USA having a WORSE vaxx rate than The Sudan and there's a disaster waiting to happen.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

When I got my medical done, back in 2011 those were the jabs I needed. I probably could have got the titres instead but my GP would charge for that and he said at 33 a booster would probably be a good idea anyway.

Like Sir Eccles says rates of vaccine preventable diseases are on the rise, because of people not vaxxing and immunity "wearing off" on older people who were vaccinated. Some studies are now showing that 20 years after some immunisations, the benefit can be greatly reduced and the main reason it's not an issue is because good herd immunity means the diseases don't travel through the population. So add that to some areas of the USA having a WORSE vaxx rate than The Sudan and there's a disaster waiting to happen.
I am not saying that you did not need them, just responding to your assertion that everybody in those age groups did.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not saying that you did not need them, just responding to your assertion that everybody in those age groups did.
The link I posted says those are the jabs people in that age range need and that's the list Knightsbridge work off
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

We are 35 and 39.

We are available to get the Chicken pox vaccine in Wales, but it runs from anywhere from £65-£100+ each. If there is a chance that we don't need it, I'd rather not get in done. Our girls had chicken pox 2 years ago, as it went round most of the infants at school.

I now have our MMR booked in for this week, so hopefully it will be just the Dtap to have done it London.

How long do the medicals usually last ???
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

The link I posted says those are the jabs people in that age range need and that's the list Knightsbridge work off
I did not check the link but see it is more nuanced than your text.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jumping_tigger
We are 35 and 39.

We are available to get the Chicken pox vaccine in Wales, but it runs from anywhere from £65-£100+ each. If there is a chance that we don't need it, I'd rather not get in done. Our girls had chicken pox 2 years ago, as it went round most of the infants at school.

I now have our MMR booked in for this week, so hopefully it will be just the Dtap to have done it London.

How long do the medicals usually last ???
I was missing a few, just got them done at the local Surgery.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I did not check the link but see it is more nuanced than your text.
Apologies if I'm wrong, Boiler, but didn't you adjust status here in the US without having first gotten a visa from the US Consulate to enter to marry or were married and entered under an IR-1. Perhaps that is the difference in the need for the vaccine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.