Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to like the USA

I'm trying to like the USA

Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm trying to like the USA

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
Well that's an excellent and very positive attitude to have.
Nowhere is perfect - particularly a country as vast as the US - but it's important to balance the pros with the cons.
The problem really arises when the cons overwhelm the pros and then it's very easy to lose sight of reality.
For what it's worth I'm firmly of the belief that in many cases
it's the individual and not the country that's a fault.
People who are a failure in life in one country hope that by moving to another it will change things - reality bites when it doesn't.
Sometimes all anyone needs is a fresh look on life. By moving to a new country they can clearly see what they needed in the other country. I wouldn't term in as a "failure in life".
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I still am trying, believe it or not (hence the thread). I haven't completely girl up on the US just yet, but I'd be lying if I said that it's not a major struggle.

Some people clearly don't know much about immigrant in general. It can take 2 generations in some cases to completely assimilate. Look at Latin Americans for example here in Miami - they're US citizens, but are proud of their roots and fly their flags in addition to the US flag.

The difference with us Brits and some other European groups is that there are no defined British-American communities for newly arrived immigrants to fall back on, in order to make the assimilation process easier. We are scattered across the country and rely on groups like these to seek out fellow expats. A Cuban in Miami would not have that issue. He/she would be among his/her people.

I suspect that many Brits and other Europeans here who are completely happy are those who are financially secure, have good health insurance and perhaps never felt that Britain was "home" in the first place, despite being born there.

People emigrate for various reasons. I did so solely to marry a USC. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I'm still here almost 10 years later. Whatever happens, no one can say I didn't try hard enough or that I threw in the towel too soon.
Did you naturalise yet? I know it's expensive but if you didn't it might be a good idea. Just in case you do leave but decide to come back one day.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Did you naturalise yet? I know it's expensive but if you didn't it might be a good idea. Just in case you do leave but decide to come back one day.
Absolutely I plan to. I'd be foolish not to for the reason you stated.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely I plan to. I'd be foolish not to for the reason you stated.
Makes sense all round - whether you're staying or going.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:47 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense all round - whether you're staying or going.
Yep, having 2 passports and the right to live on 2 continents can't be bad!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:53 pm
I have a comma problem

Yep, having 2 passports and the right to live on 2 continents can't be bad!
I guess being American really does make you free after all
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:59 pm
Banned

Indeed.

One thing life has taught me is to always leave an open door behind you and never burn bridges.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to have touched a raw nerve.
Don't get me wrong,old cock, it's entirely understandable that someone wishes to retain their national identity when moving to a foreign country and reminiscing is all part of that.
But when what you're missing actually begins to affect your life in a new country then you've got problems.
Some posters on here appear to loath the US so much and miss the UK so much you wonder why they stay.
Or why they didn't think about what they're missing BEFORE they moved to a new life.
You are living in Ireland aren't you...what country/countries have you emigrated to?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:12 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are living in Ireland aren't you...what country/countries have you emigrated to?
I live in three countries and have passports for two of them.
I've also got businesses in two of them.
If you're trying to intimate that I don't know what it's like to emigrate you'd be quite wrong.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It is amusing that for a lot of Brits who naturalise do it to then bugger off, whilst it seems the number one reason for many other nation nationals seem to be to bring family over.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I live in three countries and have passports for two of them.
I've also got businesses in two of them.
If you're trying to intimate that I don't know what it's like to emigrate you'd be quite wrong.
Still I don't think you can compare spending a good chunk of the year in your home country and visiting/staying in two others...to emigrating.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:18 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
It is amusing that for a lot of Brits who naturalise do it to then bugger off, whilst it seems the number one reason for many other nation nationals seem to be to bring family over.
It never hurts to keep your options open but it's an interesting point!

Now I've done it, I realised (especially this year) that it makes much more sense than being a long term PR.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... it makes much more sense than being a long term PR.
I've never fancied being Puerto Rican even in the short term!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:38 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've never fancied being Puerto Rican even in the short term!
Ah yes, one has to be careful with one's abbreviations.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It never hurts to keep your options open but it's an interesting point!

Now I've done it, I realised (especially this year) that it makes much more sense than being a long term PR.
I'd have so done it a few years ago if we had that kind of spare cash knocking around...if for nothing else, so I can become an arsehole Mass driver and not worry about getting deported for politely telling someone how wonderful their driving is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.