Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to like the USA

I'm trying to like the USA

Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:50 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm trying to like the USA

There are lots of things to like about the USA

Most often it comes down to a standard of living as to whether you can "like" a place or not. The best country in the world will be shit if you have no job/money/place to live.

Things I like here...
People seem nice enough (tho Mrs Nutek says I shouldn't interact with most of them ).

I have a great wife, nice house, nice car(s), a job, blah blah..

None of this means I can't miss England. Liking somewhere isnt a binary choice.

Seems to me, the question should be about "are you happy here"? Are you? If not, why arent you somewhere else? (I don't know your situation).
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:52 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I suggest you put him on ignore if his threads/posts annoy you so much.

Nah, that's would be petty and juvenile.
I'm a big boy.
( Bet you didn't pick that up on your naked airport scanner ! )
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I have always had wonderful healthcare in the US. I think the healthcare available is top notch! Never had a problem.
The healthcare is not too terrible, but why are the ladies in the front office always such battleaxes? And, when are doctors going to invest in those TV set/typewriter combo thingies.. you know, computers or whatever??
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:53 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
The fact that she is not here rather suggests she wasn't that great in the trolling department,don't you think ?

However I would appreciate it if you would put me on ignore once again,
And permanently this time.
Then I don't have to join in your conversation all about you.
<snip>

But surely you would have to put me on ignore in order to enact that? You'd still see my posts! Have you been drinking again?

Last edited by Sue; Dec 20th 2012 at 4:09 pm. Reason: Magic eraser. Cut out the name calling please.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Jam free roads

That is something we could do with in Knotty Ash, near the mine entrances. It dribbles off the trucks when they move the merchandise to market.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, that's would be petty and juvenile.
I'm a big boy.
( Bet you didn't pick that up on your naked airport scanner ! )
Please do it because I would like to prevent another one of your outbursts.

The same advice to you please Ethelred.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
That is something we could do with in Knotty Ash, near the mine entrances. It dribbles off the trucks when they move the merchandise to market.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:02 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Please do it because I would like to prevent another one of your outbursts.

The same advice to you please Ethelred.
Keep your hair on girl.
Banning a certain poster twice in two days has gone straight to your head.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:08 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The healthcare is not too terrible, but why are the ladies in the front office always such battleaxes? And, when are doctors going to invest in those TV set/typewriter combo thingies.. you know, computers or whatever??
I went to my internist's office on Tuesday. The person at the front desk was a very efficient and nice black male. Everything is computerized, and he even took a computer photo of me to place in my chart. We don't all live out in the wilds of the frozen north!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:10 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

So have I...but there again we have great heathcare insurance...many don't.
True - but we were talking about healthcare. I don't like the billing system in the US, but I do like the healthcare.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your hair on girl.
Banning a certain poster twice in two days has gone straight to your head.
I pressed my big red ban button more than twice yesterday...and it's all ready for use today.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I have always had wonderful healthcare in the US. I think the healthcare available is top notch! Never had a problem.
You obviously have good insurance then. As do I. Sadly my uninsured, father-in-law is suffering from severe health problems, yet can't take advantage of any of this 'top notch' care we all take for granted.

While there are many things to like about the USA, this gulf between the haves and have-nots in a developed nation in the 21st century is sickening.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

True - but we were talking about healthcare. I don't like the billing system in the US, but I do like the healthcare.
and millions can't afford it...
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to my internist's office on Tuesday. The person at the front desk was a very efficient and nice black male. Everything is computerized, and he even took a computer photo of me to place in my chart. We don't all live out in the wilds of the frozen north!
Frozen north?? We usually have a good thaw in late June/early July, just before the first frost..
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:48 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You obviously have good insurance then. As do I. Sadly my uninsured, father-in-law is suffering from severe health problems, yet can't take advantage of any of this 'top notch' care we all take for granted.

While there are many things to like about the USA, this gulf between the haves and have-nots in a developed nation in the 21st century is sickening.
Agreed.

I can probably grow to like American sports, I generally avoid topics pertaining to firearms and freedom of speech, I can just about deal with the work issue, but I will never be in agreement with the healthcare system over here. It's just plain wrong and goes against my core belief that healthcare should not be profit-based and tied to employment.

Much poorer countries manage to provide healthcare to their citizens. No excuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.