Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:42 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

Originally Posted by Michael
....Austin has still much of a hi-tech area.

I've lived in the Silicon Valley most of my adult life and never had a problem finding a good hi-tech job even in the worst of times. Currently the local hi-tech job market appears to be pretty good.
Austin is losing its high tech jobs.

I can't move *anywhere* and take my kids. My best friends in the world live in Saratoga and Los Altos. I'm stuck.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I can't move *anywhere* and take my kids. My best friends in the world live in Saratoga and Los Altos. I'm stuck.
Those are very nice cities.

Why can't you take your children with you?

I'm suspect that you may always have a problem finding good jobs if you can't move. No matter where you are in the world, certain jobs in quanities are generally located in certain places.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:40 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your kids, Amy?

I know in the UK, kids' views re. preferred domicile are taken into account from around the age of 14; definitely from age 16. Is this not the case in the US?

Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time...
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Those are very nice cities.

Why can't you take your children with you?

I'm suspect that you may always have a problem finding good jobs if you can't move. No matter where you are in the world, certain jobs in quanities are generally located in certain places.
I would imagine she cannot move because the courts will not let her take the children more than 'X' miles from their father, so that the children can easily and frequently visit him.

Often courts impose a limit such as 100 miles.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:11 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Even with the current credit crisis and high oil prices, the US economy is chugging along pretty well and most economists do not think that the US will slip into recession.
It really is irrelevant whether one labels the current economic downturn as a "recession" or not. With rising unemployment and budget deficit, and the banking system in crisis, the situation is bad enough as is.

With the current weak currency, US exports are significantly up for the first 6 months of the year but high oil import prices have kept the trade imbalance high.
For one, you previously overstated the degree to which oil contributes to the trade deficit. The US imports about 10 million barrels per day, not 14 million, and the average price of oil has typically not been $125/bbl.

Much of the US trade deficit comes from consumer goods and inputs that end up in consumer goods. We have traded GDP growth for our trade deficit. That is not a sustainable position to take over the long run.

Even though the US has a large trade deficit, it does not have a large external or national debt in relation to GDP. Most economists consider the external and national debt much more important than a trade deficit. If that was not the case, the USD would currently be much lower and unstable than it currently is. External debt accounts for all cash flow into and out of a country (trade, financials, investments, profits, etc.). If the external debt and national debt are the most accurate indicators of a countries economy, the US may not be in as bad of shape as you may think.
The US has the benefits of a legacy reserve currency with no viable competition. The EU will never become a military superpower, so the likelihood the euro gaining full reserve status seems unlikely. The real issue is China, which will eventually arm up and at the current pace will achieve reserve status, because they actually create GDP growth through production instead of through credit, as the US has.

Your window is too narrow. The issue isn't whether the US weathers the current recession -- it will -- but how it will fare decades from now. At the current pace of debt growth and consumption-oriented GDP growth fueled by a growing trade deficit, it is a matter of a few decades before the fit hits the shan. The next generation and the one that follows will pay dearly for our mistakes, as it is obvious that nobody wants to fix it.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few newer folk here, so I'm extending my story a bit....
I'm American, with two daughters from a first marriage to an American. My second husband, who's a member here, is Dutch.

I am in high tech, and disagree that it's a "good field" -- because of the enormous downward wage pressure and job loss from H-1Bs and outsourcing. Like the OP I am a contractor, not by choice but because it's what I can find in my field. Because of child custody issues I'm city-bound; I had a job offer from Canada last week, but I can't take it unless I am willing to leave the kids here. I love the city where I live, but job opportunities are scarce.

I want out of this country so badly I could scream, but I won't leave my kids behind. My husband will be eligible for US citizenship in a few months, but I must wait nine years before I can begin a new life.

I'm on the verge of crying thinking of school starting next week, because of the horrendous hours involved between getting the kids to/from school and working. I can't take off work -- not because I can't afford the pay, but because that will move me higher on the next-to-make-redundant list. And they aren't kidding; I've seen several colleagues get the chop already.

It's not just non-native Americans who are feeling enslaved; I feel it too because I know it's different elsewhere.
SB, couldn't you argue your case in court? Surely a judge might see things differently if you were looking at a permanent job?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
SB, couldn't you argue your case in court? Surely a judge might see things differently if you were looking at a permanent job?
Unlikely I would think, espec. in Texas.

Unless there is some reason a parent is unfit, Texas almost always goes for joint custody.

And she is currently employed. To take the children away from their father would probably need a stronger reason than a better job.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Unlikely I would think, espec. in Texas.

Unless there is some reason a parent is unfit, Texas almost always goes for joint custody.

And she is currently employed. To take the children away from their father would probably need a stronger reason than a better job.
But these aren't young children. At least I'm pretty sure her oldest is a teenager. What a shame they don't take all that into consideration. I'm all for children being with both parents, but it isn't always feasible for one to stay in the same vicinity as the other.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

But these aren't young children. At least I'm pretty sure her oldest is a teenager. What a shame they don't take all that into consideration. I'm all for children being with both parents, but it isn't always feasible for one to stay in the same vicinity as the other.
The courts aren't particularly interested in one parent's career advancement. As long as she could work somewhere with her skill sets, there is an expectation that custody rights will be respected for the sake of the kids.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She said she had nine years before she could leave the country - so my guess is that one child is 9.

I don't know that it's a shame. I am of course sorry snowbunny is unhappy - but I think most courts (and probably myself as well) feel that kids being with parents is more important than the career advancement of one parent.

Assuming the other parent is actively participating in the kids lives of course.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She said she had nine years before she could leave the country - so my guess is that one child is 9.

I don't know that it's a shame. I am of course sorry snowbunny is unhappy - but I think most courts (and probably myself as well) feel that kids being with parents is more important than the career advancement of one parent.

Assuming the other parent is actively participating in the kids lives of course.
I think allowing courts to make this kind of decisions has a lot of pros and cons. Certainly in my case I would have been extremely angry at being tied to a parent that wasn't worth the spit to spit on.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think allowing courts to make this kind of decisions has a lot of pros and cons. Certainly in my case I would have been extremely angry at being tied to a parent that wasn't worth the spit to spit on.
Ok... if not the courts, who would you have make the decision?

It's not that I am unsympathetic - far from it. But it's an unfortunate consequence of divorce.

I guess I don't think fathers have less rights than mothers - unless of course a parent (either one) is unfit.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok... if not the courts, who would you have make the decision?

It's not that I am unsympathetic - far from it. But it's an unfortunate consequence of divorce.

I guess I don't think fathers have less rights than mothers - unless of course a parent (either one) is unfit.
I don't think fathers have less rights than mothers either.....but nothing is ever just black and white. I have no suggestions on who should decide this matter. Only that it should never be just because you're divorced you are forced to either give up your children or live in close proximity to the person you've divorced for the sake of the children. Both things aren't realistic in my opinion.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think fathers have less rights than mothers either.....but nothing is ever just black and white. I have no suggestions on who should decide this matter. Only that it should never be just because you're divorced you are forced to either give up your children or live in close proximity to the person you've divorced for the sake of the children. Both things aren't realistic in my opinion.
Unfortunately, I can't think of an alternative.

Either the two divorced parents live in close proximity - or one essentially gives up the children.

So you say "It should never be..." - but it would always be for one parent.

Of course, I have no better idea myself.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately, I can't think of an alternative.

Either the two divorced parents live in close proximity - or one essentially gives up the children.

So you say "It should never be..." - but it would always be for one parent.

Of course, I have no better idea myself.
It isn't always a black or white situation. Children of divorced parents usually live with one or the other parent, with the other parent having visitation rights. Whether it be in one city or two States across. Forcing two parents to live in one city is pretty cruel and not considering what's right for everyone.

Anyway, its neither here nor there, I'm just sorry SB has to live her life like that. But you do what you have to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.