Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm need LOTS of help!!!!!

I'm need LOTS of help!!!!!

Old Oct 28th 2001, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

SugarSugar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

My fiance and i are decided to get married, but i am here in a tourist visa (which expire a few months ago), i had applied for a student visa and i havent got the change yet. I recieved a letter from the INS saying that they have my paper work and i was supposed to get an answer in four months the max.(all this was a year ago and no answer yet)

My question is that if we get married
will i have a problem getting my status change or do i need to wait to get my student visa?

What documents we need to file?

we live in Springdale Arkansas, so where do we go to file for the paper work?

My fiance doesnt make a lot of money..will that be a problem?

Will we have to hire a lawyer?

Also we want a small wedding (just the us) nobody else..is that going to cause a problem?

PLEASE we need all the help you guys can give us....THANKS so much and have a great day
Old Oct 28th 2001, 7:41 pm
Ranjini

I would say, get married first and then file for adjustment of status. Go to:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm and read the link "Tourist
Adjustment" first. Then post any questions you have. From what I know, it doesn't
matter if you are out of status as long as you entered the US legally. You should
have all the information you need on this site. Ranjini

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 29th 2001, 5:06 pm
M

SugarSugar <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I can't answer alot of your questions but I think perhaps you might want to have one
consultation with a law service, not a continued thing but at least get some kind of
idea of what you might be up against.
    >

>

You will probably need to get a co-sponsor. Check the poverty levels on the DOc Steen
site or the INS site. You will have to meet those requirements or you will have to
have a co-sponsor. Trust me on this one, the INS asks alot of questions if you don't
meet the requirements. (the couple in the next room was being hasseled because of it,
and was told to get a co-sponsor on the day of my interview)
    >

>
    >
    >

Again I don't think those are big issues, as long as you are entering into a bonafide
marriage and tell the truth and fill the paperwork out completely correctly.

M

Old Oct 29th 2001, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can get married as suggested but two notes:

1. Your husband would have to meet the 125% of the poverty guidelines for a family your size. If he doesn't, he will need for find a co-sponsor.

2. Even with a F-1 pending since you are unsure whether it was rejected or accepted and it has been over a year, I would not apply for Advance Parole unless you have confirmation that you have not been out of status during that year. Any out of status of 180 days or more means a ban from the US for 3 to 5 years.

Rita
Old Oct 29th 2001, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

SugarSugar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info...we tryly apreciated it. I feel a little bit better about the subject..even tho' that i am still scared about the whole thing. Our wedding date is for dec. 3 of 2001...I cant wait. well, if you guys know more about the subject i will be more than welcome to hear you input. Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2001, 7:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If we guys knew about that subject? LOL ... for starters since you are here in the US and going to marry ... take a look at (and read) the following sites. They will answer 90 percent of all the questions you have now and will have in the future when completing all those INS.

I-130/I-485 Helpsite at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/2806/

Rita