Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm confused... car registration??

I'm confused... car registration??

Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm confused... car registration??

Originally Posted by KJ2007
The opposite is true as well. I think most Americans think that Brits have some fun names for things (i.e. jumper instead of sweater, etc.) but that the differences are few. It's all a matter of exposure and experience isn't it?
Correct.

When we first came her two people gave me advice. One was an Aus lady...she said the transition would have been easier if English wasn't the US language. The other was a Brit...she said it's not right or wrong...just different.

Those words have often rang in my ears...because it's very true.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I have a vanity plate took 12 weeks to get here and cost $45 I thought that was quite cheap.
I have animal friendly plates...the extra fees go to the NJ animal's home. I still reserve the rights to my UK vanity plates. Which reminds me I have to renew the UK registration in a few weeks.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 1st 2008 at 12:11 am.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:11 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have animal friendly plates...the extra fees go to the NJ animal's home. I still reserve the rights to my UK vanity plates. Which reminds me I have to renew the UK registration in a few weeks.
Animal freindly whats that please you mean the background design!!

I would be interested if I could keep the vanity plate.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Animal freindly whats that please you mean the background design!!

Yes the normal boring cream NJ plate has an animal design on it. You pay extra for the plate...but it goes to the NJ animal shelter.

If you mean a UK vanity plate. I believe it has to be renewed every year...I've been doing so since 1996. If you let it lapse the title reverts back to the DMVL.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have a vanity plate took 12 weeks to get here and cost $45 I thought that was quite cheap.
In maine, $20 to register a plate, $20 extra to punch a vanity plate, only costs $20 a year.

In Mass, it's something like $45 to register a plate I think, $75 a year for the vanity that has to be renewed every November regardless of when you got it and $100 to get it punched...and that's on the normal plate design.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the normal boring cream NJ plate has an animal design on it. You pay extra for the plate...but it goes to the NJ animal shelter.

If you mean a UK vanity plate. I believe it has to be renewed every year...I've been doing so since 1996. If you let it lapse the title reverts back to the DMVL.
I have the same thing - actually a Vanity with the pet background. It's the same here - the extra goes to animal shelters. I think it's $30 for the normal plate, additional for vanity, and additional for animal plate. Maybe $100 annually.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

When we first came her two people gave me advice. One was an Aus lady...she said the transition would have been easier if English wasn't the US language. The other was a Brit...she said it's not right or wrong...just different.

Actually, it's wrong.

just kidding!!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think you were his inspiration.. he's very chuffed and swears he's added thousands to the value of his "investment" (because it's a special special plate).

it's not right or wrong...just different.

Exactly. I appreciate that it can be frustrating to not know how to do something any adult should know how to do, but that is part of the fun of moving to a new country.

That tax thread is still burning my gut I guess. As evidenced in this thread, every State has their own way of doing things and is an independent government. It might be easier for people if they compare the US to the EU: different countries with one overlaying ethic and set of rules, but each member still gets their freedom. People don't seem to realize the weight of States Rights.

You can have a special plate + custom on it here, surely you must in California as well?!

You can keep your custom plate too. I still have my mom's California custom tag from .. oh a while ago.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:40 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen the pet friendly one here or would have it will look into it.

Oh bless did he get that vanity plate after we met then? because I know mine was still in the process of been made....on another note someone said that prisoners make the plates!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen the pet friendly one here or would have it will look into it.
Check your local DMV website for what's available *in your state*!
We don't have a pet lover/animal whatsis here. But we have an art one.

Oh bless did he get that vanity plate after we met then? because I know mine was still in the process of been made....on another note someone said that prisoners make the plates!!
Yes, but you can't date those guys, Poppy!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Check your local DMV website for what's available *in your state*!
We don't have a pet lover/animal whatsis here. But we have an art one.

Yes, but you can't date those guys, Poppy!
Nope no pet friendlys here just checked

I don't date jail bate I've moved onto Cowboys
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There are about 100 speciality plate here

You can check to see availabilty here

https://www6.hsmv.state.fl.us/mvchec...check/main.jsp
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
One thing that might be worth doing, if you've a local insurance broker and they have a runner, get them so sort all the paper work, that's what our insurance bloke did, worth the $15 runner fee, that person got us our plates, registered the car and everything which is an all day event otherwise
Good post Bob.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I don't think any amount of research could prepare a Brit for the DMV experience...
You have never been to Lunar House in Croydon with your OH to get a visa renewed then, the DMV are still learning.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
He even got customized plates for the El Camino, which he's very pleased about.
We must live in one of those simple states.
Must be a simple State I got custom plates for my Jeep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.